Lowe's ego: Killing the team since before 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Came across this gem the other day,

Reports suggest Lowe agreed to send Comrie to Anaheim for prospect Corey Perry and a first-round draft pick, but only if the forward cut Edmonton a fat cheque.

He supposedly asked Comrie to pony up $2.5 million US to complete the transaction.

"If he was willing to do that, fine," Lowe said. "If not, we'd sit and wait until we felt we got the deal we needed.

"Unfortunately, this wasn't meant to be public. But agents have a great ability to get this stuff out.

"The reality is we're more than happy to sit and wait until the best deal is possible. It's not about vindication.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/oilers-comrie-must-pay-for-trade-1.399739

I really don't see how this guy can still be let run this team. From the infamous press conference quote, to all the other stuff, it seems like he's done much more harm than anything remotely good since his playing days. How many coaches and GMs will it take to run through before this guy is held accountable?

Edit: Sorry mods if this isn't the right place for this. I looked to see if you had a Lowe thread, but nothing popped up.

ATBLeafsTyler

Dec 15, 2014
Newmarket, Ontario
Came across this gem the other day,

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/oilers-comrie-must-pay-for-trade-1.399739

I really don't see how this guy can still be let run this team. From the infamous press conference quote, to all the other stuff, it seems like he's done much more harm than anything remotely good since his playing days. How many coaches and GMs will it take to run through before this guy is held accountable?

Edit: Sorry mods if this isn't the right place for this. I looked to see if you had a Lowe thread, but nothing popped up.

How can you be stupid enough to make him pay? I would have payed Comrie to be traded in that situation...

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Almost everyone in management bugs me, but it's mostly in the contest of them just not bei good/successful at their jobs. With Lowe... He just bothers me on a personal level.

I almost don't want him to get fired because as harsh as it might be, I find him being put on this pedestal to be amusing, when with even guys like Eakins and Mac-T it gets to a point where I feel bad.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
I went to a random link on google about the trade and the author said it was (ironically) the pick used to draft Smid.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Who cares honestly? Oh my a gm in HINDSIGHT made a mistake. It was 11 years ago! Get over it!

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I'm excited to see the reaction to the ad in the sun which was funded by fans calling for lowes resignation. It will be in the Friday issue.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think anyone in the hockey world understands why Lowe still had a job or why the Oilers just recycle former players throughout the organization.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
ps I still love Robbie Schremp

Still think he could have been something good for us. MacT hated him. I remember when he finally have Schremp a shot in the team and put him on the 4th line with plugs and complained that he didn't put up. We really **** up his development.

In his 2nd season in the AHL he was ppg and then played like a handful of games with us and put good numbers in the short stint. Then boom we got rid of him. Poor kid.

MacT did that though, gave certain players special treatment (Toby) and wouldn't give other players their shot.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
I just wonder how different it would be if we actually had our own AHL franchise at the time for him to play on. Rather than play second fiddle to the guys on WBS in his first year out of junior before going to that mess in springfield.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I just wonder how different it would be if we actually had our own AHL franchise at the time for him to play on. Rather than play second fiddle to the guys on WBS in his first year out of junior before going to that mess in springfield.

MacT always had it out for him though. What more can you ask of a 2nd year AHLer than to put up ppg? I remember when we had injuries he never got the call up. He was doomed the whole time :(

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'm quite aware of that but to bring this up proves what?

That his arrogance got in the way of doing his job. Anaheim was the preferred destination for Comrie because his dad lived down there (not to mention weather, etc.), Lowe knew this and tried to use it as leverage to get him to pay back some of his bonus money that he ransomed out of the Oil years earlier (.threatening to go back in the draft). The deal was all but done, but Lowe backed out just to screw him over. In doing so, Lowe:

- lost out on the better prospect (Perry vs Woywitka).

- lost out on the better pick (not that you can project exactly where it will land, but Philly was a top 5 team the year before, definitely the better team).

- burned his first of many bridges with other GM's (Murray said he'd never do business with him again).

Good enough reason?

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
MacT always had it out for him though. What more can you ask of a 2nd year AHLer than to put up ppg? I remember when we had injuries he never got the call up. He was doomed the whole time :(

I remember MacT having a massive blowup after a game when asked for like the billionth time "why hasn't rob schremp been called up yet" and completely tore the kids game apart.

Although what is even more boggling is that JF Jacques made that 09-10 team and we lost Robbie Schremp on waivers to the islanders lol

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I'm so sick of hearing about that Perry deal. Big deal you found one mistake Lowe made. I found six if you want to count mistakes.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
That his arrogance got in the way of doing his job. Anaheim was the preferred destination for Comrie because his dad lived down there (not to mention weather, etc.), Lowe knew this and tried to use it as leverage to get him to pay back some of his bonus money that he ransomed out of the Oil years earlier (.threatening to go back in the draft). The deal was all but done, but Lowe backed out just to screw him over. In doing so, Lowe:

- lost out on the better prospect (Perry vs Woywitka).

- lost out on the better pick (not that you can project exactly where it will land, but Philly was a top 5 team the year before, definitely the better team).

- burned his first of many bridges with other GM's (Murray said he'd never do business with him again).

Good enough reason?

Yes I agree it was childish, unprofessional and flat out stupid for the team. You will get no arguments here man. I just don't think we need to be bring things from 11 years ago up. What if we did draft Perry? It could have changed everything. Maybe he becomes the 50 goal NHLer but maybe he becomes a bust that plays in Europe. Butterfly effect :laugh:

I hate him as much as the next guy but I try not to think of all the stupidity from him because it gets me worked up and pissed off.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
This was a bad situation for sure but it was also a totally different time and game back then. Oilers were a struggling budget team so they were really sore about that bonus money and even with Comrie performing great there was concern about investing so much into a small #1 center even more so with the clutch and grab era. Also very importantly no one was very excited about Perry then, he was a maybe power forward with a questionable attitude at the time. So the return was actually seen as pretty poor for our holdout #1C.

I really don't want Lowe managing the team anymore but he was actually okay for the Oilers pre-cap. Before Pronger took his mojo and before the cap made star chasing by the Oilers a possibility (and when they said no in free agency he turned to the draft where they couldn't reject him anymore)

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I remember MacT having a massive blowup after a game when asked for like the billionth time "why hasn't rob schremp been called up yet" and completely tore the kids game apart.

Although what is even more boggling is that JF Jacques made that 09-10 team and we lost Robbie Schremp on waivers to the islanders lol

I remember that too! Completely forgot about it until you mentioned it. But for that 09-10 team the coach was Quinn and he had a real hard on for playing big coke machines more than skilled players (Gagner 4th line, JF 1st line). Like wow :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad