Love him or hate him, Jack Edwards is entertaining

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Edwards is as entertaining as a shark attack. Meaning - he is horrific.

By far the most annoying PBP man in the league - practically can't stomach listening to him under any circumstances.

Reactions: nofehr

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
People need to realize what exactly Jack Edwards is the most "Homer" about.

I actually think he calls a pretty fair game when it comes to goals/skill/saves from both sides. But he becomes the most obnoxious and homeristic when it comes to physicality.

The double standards when it comes to the rough stuff with this guy is insane. He contradicts himself on air about this topic all the time.

He makes anything that an opposing player does on a Bruins player that's slightly dirty or over the top...absolutely criminal. But when a Bruins player does the exact same thing, his tune does a whole 360 and he's trying to come up with the lamest excuses to protect the bruins player lol.

If you're gonna try to be one of the more entertaining announcers and talk all that talk.....then make sure to keep the same energy when your players do the same thing. He's a big reason as why the bruins fanbase somehow thinks their immune to physicality or somehow "cant be touched"

Reactions: wintersej

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Not only is Edwards a homer and absurdly biased, he's shrill and whiny. He's the NHL play-by-play equivalent to a teenager complaining about life.

Reactions: nofehr and OVO16

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016
I disagree, as I have had the displeasure of watching games that he called and he never lets go of his insane BIAS to call things appropriately and any time the Bruins have even a minor infraction go against them, he complains like a little boy/teen bop! And don't even bring up fights as he is always or almost always watching a different fight then everyone else.
That's just it, I don't really disagree with what you say in that he's terrible regarding penalties (and even worse with fights). He is, and his bias is clear to the point of painful very often in those instances. But the rest of the game I feel he calls much more evenly with excitement for both sides, and usually doesn't downplay opposing team plays/efforts. If you still disagree on that point, so be it - agree to disagree.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

I actually think he calls a pretty fair game when it comes to goals/skill/saves from both sides. But he becomes the most obnoxious and homeristic when it comes to physicality.

The double standards when it comes to the rough stuff with this guy is insane. He contradicts himself on air about this topic all the time.

He makes anything that an opposing player does on a Bruins player that's slightly dirty or over the top...absolutely criminal. But when a Bruins player does the exact same thing, his tune does a whole 360 and he's trying to come up with the lamest excuses to protect the bruins player lol.

If you're gonna try to be one of the more entertaining announcers and talk all that talk.....then make sure to keep the same energy when your players do the same thing. He's a big reason as why the bruins fanbase somehow thinks their immune to physicality or somehow "cant be touched"

He does go a bit over the top once in a while but I have seen him dump on his own guys for turning last second and getting hit 'from behind' and hes also complained when the other team gets a penalty for "a clean ol nice big hit"

Overall he does a fairly good job I would say

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
A prime small example of his "Homerism" when it comes to the Rough stuff was literally last night against Montreal.

There was a sequence in the 2nd period where Shaw and Marchand got tangled up center ice (there was a lot of battles going on all over the ice last night)....and Shaw ended up getting on top of Marchand. Shaw gave Marchand a slight cross-check on the back while Marchand was on his knees. Mind you this wasnt a vicious crosscheck at all. A slight love tap to the back, which happens numerous times in every rivalry game. Marchand got up and pretended as nothing happened.

Edwards says something along the lines of "Shaw crosschecks Marchand while he's down. Such a tough guy thing to do while someone is on the ice. Thats Andrew Shaw for you".

A bruins player literally did the same thing behind the bruins net like 2 min later....and not a single peep. :laugh::laugh:

I was losing it at that point lmao. When he said that thing about shaw...I was also thinking like "dude do you know who Marchand is?" Like you cant be serious...Marchand does the same thing every game lmao

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's difficult to be entertained while you're cringing and uncomfortable with an announcer's lack of professionalism. He seems to wilfully ignore part of the responsibility that comes with his job.

I think there's a place for this in radio broadcasts, but it's a shame to see it on TV.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Jack Edwards is the type of guy to talk massive shit behind your back but won't have the balls to do it to your face.

Some of the stuff he says about opposition players on the broadcast...let's just say he's lucky he's in a broadcast booth.

I'm sure certain players have been wanting to wanna beat the crap out this d-bag for a long time now

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
I honestly have no issues with him. I don't enjoy listening to him just because I'm a fan of an opposing team, but he is passionate and energetic and that's more than you can say for a lot of announcers on TV right now. Bias is fine for a home broadcast, in fact I'd want it.

If I was a Bruins fan I'd love him.

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
It's funny that you assume he hasnt traveled enough because of a pre conceived notion that:
your statements indicate to me that you haven’t spent time in many hockey markets talking to a varied pool of fans with diverse opinions.
They dont indicate that at all. They indicate that the people he has talked to dont like Edward's. You took his comments and made a generalization, assumeing he hasnt talked to enough people via traveling, when in fact it's possible he just hasnt talked to what could be members of the minority, who actually like Edwards.

Ironic that you make a general/blanket assumption that people who dont share your opinions havent traveled enough, while calling him out for making generalizations.

Do all hockey cities carry more varied opinions? Even small market cities, where hockey is not a huge draw or pastime?

After speaking to many hockey fans in different cities I have found that most people don't have a dislike for Jack Edwards. They are either not that bothered by him or they actually really like him. The opinions in this thread are even wildly varied, as many would expect.

You are also missing a very large point when defending this gentleman, and that is that he made a sweeping generalization about people's opinions outside his own. Where did I do the same?

More importantly, it is clear you don't understand what the word generalization means.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I like guys with personality but when he laughed like a f***ing idiot that time, he lost me.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
When he first became the Bruins announcer I used to hate how excited he got about opposition plays and goals. He gets excited about every good play so in that respect he is very good. I have grown to see him as the most entertaining announcer in the league. It is his sheer passion for the game. He is also will to admit if he makes a mistake which many announcers will never do. He loves the Bruins and he is about 1/1oth as much of a homer as a lot of the people who complain about him. I'll take him over most anyone in the game right now but I do understand how he can rub people the wrong way. He's not a homer in the way that the guy from the Penguins was or that Gerry Cheevers was. He is more of a trash talker than simply biased and I think that angers people even more.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal

In other words, he's a homer.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I have heard so much about his homerism, but the times I have seen Boston games this season, he has kind of frequently spoken very well about opposing team's players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad