Post-Game Talk: Love Dunks Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I think we have the 4th best chance at the #1 pick right now. Get that plus whatever picks they get for selling and the rebuild will be boosted.
Yep, and over a 90% chance of drafting in the top 6. Good players will be available for us even without a lottery win, just gotta pick the right ones.

Rinkrat21

Dec 12, 2019
I think we have the 4th best chance at the #1 pick right now. Get that plus whatever picks they get for selling and the rebuild will be boosted.
Or the rebuild will actually begin. Just because we have some young guys in the lineup doesn’t mean this team is acting as is if they are in rebuild mode. Every team in the league is always trying to infuse youngsters into their lineup every year to mix in with veteran guys and the Hawks are no different.
And I’m sure after this last off season, a lot of fans were thinking playoffs way more than rebuild.
When they start selling the dead weight currently in the roster and going with a lineup of mostly kids, then it will be a rebuild.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Or the rebuild will actually begin. Just because we have some young guys in the lineup doesn’t mean this team is acting as is if they are in rebuild mode. Every team in the league is always trying to infuse youngsters into their lineup every year to mix in with veteran guys and the Hawks are no different.
And I’m sure after this last off season, a lot of fans were thinking playoffs way more than rebuild.
When they start selling the dead weight currently in the roster and going with a lineup of mostly kids, then it will be a rebuild.

I think is already has. The moves they made this summer don't impact the future as we paid nothing.

Rinkrat21

Dec 12, 2019
I think is already has. The moves they made this summer don't impact the future as we paid nothing.
I understand that. But after the moves made this offseason, were you honestly thinking this team was gonna be starting their rebuild mode this season or competing for a playoff spot?
Trading for Shaw when in rebuild mode? Signing Lehner for 1 year when in rebuild mode? Trading for high injury risk Dmen in deHaan and Mattaa when in rebuild mode? Trading for Zack Smith when in rebuild mode? Doesnt matter if nothing of significance was given up to obtain these guys, these just arent the type of guys you go after when in rebuild mode. (and Shaw did cost a 2nd round pick in this upcoming year's draft. That isnt nothing).

If this is SB's idea of a rebuild, even more reason he should be shown the door asap.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I understand that. But after the moves made this offseason, were you honestly thinking this team was gonna be starting their rebuild mode this season or competing for a playoff spot?
Trading for Shaw when in rebuild mode? Signing Lehner for 1 year when in rebuild mode? Trading for high injury risk Dmen in deHaan and Mattaa when in rebuild mode? Trading for Zack Smith when in rebuild mode? Doesnt matter if nothing of significance was given up to obtain these guys, these just arent the type of guys you go after when in rebuild mode. (and Shaw did cost a 2nd round pick in this upcoming year's draft. That isnt nothing).

If this is SB's idea of a rebuild, even more reason he should be shown the door asap.

I think they made moves that they thought could get them to the playoffs (as a WC team) to give this core one last kick at it but they also didn't impact the future.

Rinkrat21

Dec 12, 2019
I think they made moves that they thought could get them to the playoffs (as a WC team) to give this core one last kick at it but they also didn't impact the future.
Right. But you cant be in rebuild mode and going for a playoff spot mode at the same time, it's usually one or the other. Only the Penguins have figured out how to successfully do both at the same time lol.

Just because you didnt impact the future (aside from the 2nd round pick next year), that doesnt automatically put you in rebuild mode.

The rebuild has not begun yet. The team is stuck in purgatory this year - not a playoff club and not yet rebuilding, with a young coach it probably isnt quite sure what to do with.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
@Rinkrat21

Outside of the shaw trade involving the 2rd and 3rd pick none of their other trades cost anything going forward. Obviously the shaw trade is bad. His concussion and his history of them pretty much destroys any trade value going forward.
Bad trade losing what looks like a high second and third.

Giving them one last offseason chance I had no problem with bowmans offseason moves.

I just want to hear management say we are going full rebuild. Come out and say it. Regardless of whose in charge.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Right. But you cant be in rebuild mode and going for a playoff spot mode at the same time, it's usually one or the other. Only the Penguins have figured out how to do that lol.

Just because you didnt impact the future (aside from the 2nd round pick next year), that doesnt automatically put you in rebuild mode.

The rebuild has not begun yet. The team is stuck in purgatory this year - not a playoff club and not yet rebuilding, with a young coach it probably isnt quite sure what to do with.

You can. They are not mutually exclusive. Is it hard to do both? 100%.

They are in rebuild mode in my opinion based on how they are drafting . They drafting players that they feel have the highest ceiling even though some are further away (Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, Vlasic). The Nylander deal was also about the future as Joker is a better player now but Nylander has a higher ceiling(imo).

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I just want to hear management say we are going full rebuild. Come out and say it. Regardless of whose in charge.

I guess they could put out a letter like the Rangers did but whats the point when we are spiraling towards the bottom of the standings anyway? I highly doubt they will saying anything with the "Always One Goal" slogan they are pushing out now.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I guess they could put out a letter like the Rangers did but whats the point when we are spiraling towards the bottom of the
standings anyway? I highly doubt they will saying anything with the "Always One Goal" slogan they are pushing out now.

Completely agree. To me if a franchise is upfront with their fans about the state of the team and the plan going forward it's the way to be. Just be upfront.

Rinkrat21

Dec 12, 2019
@Rinkrat21

Outside of the shaw trade involving the 2rd and 3rd pick none of their other trades cost anything going forward. Obviously the shaw trade is bad. His concussion and his history of them pretty much destroys any trade value going forward.
Bad trade losing what looks like a high second and third.

Giving them one last offseason chance I had no problem with bowmans offseason moves.

And act like it. Blow it up and start from scratch.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Rinkrat21

Dec 12, 2019
You can. They are not mutually exclusive. Is it hard to do both? 100%.

They are in rebuild mode in my opinion based on how they are drafting . They drafting players that they feel have the highest ceiling even though some are further away (Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, Vlasic). The Nylander deal was also about the future as Joker is a better player now but Nylander has a higher ceiling(imo).
It is hard to do both. Obviously the jury is still out in the rebuild so we can’t grade them there. As far as making a run at the playoffs again this year, to this point it is a massive fail.
I don’t think this FO is talented enough to do both at the same time, obviously. They should pick a lane and stick to it.
Trying to do both at once is clearly way over their heads.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It is hard to do both. Obviously the jury is still out in the rebuild so we can’t grade them there. As far as making a run at the playoffs again this year, to this point it is a massive fail.
I don’t think this FO is talented enough to do both at the same time, obviously. They should pick a lane and stick to it.
Trying to do both at once is clearly way over their heads.

Injuries and their play tanked their chances at a playoffs. Shit happens. They need to just focus on the rebuild and get it done.

Rinkrat21

Dec 12, 2019
Injuries and their play tanked their chances at a playoffs. **** happens. They need to just focus on the rebuild and get it done.
Whatever it is that tanked their chances, this will be the 3rd year in a row of no playoffs. Cant keep making excuses. They just arent good enough to do both at the same time and i agree, focus on the rebuild.
SB's next moves will be telling.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Completely agree. To me if a franchise is upfront with their fans about the state of the team and the plan going forward it's the way to be. Just be upfront.

Agreed. It just feels like they are going to keep doing what they did last offseason. Make moves to try to make the playoffs to sell tickets and get casual fans excited, then if it doesn’t work out, accept whatever draft pick they get and repeat. Eventually, there will be enough talent to get them back to playoffs. But they don’t seem committed to making the difficult moves other teams have made rebuilding to secure as many picks/prospects as possible and pick top 5 instead of 6-15.

It’d be a real shame if this is the case. Although I wouldn’t put it past them to be so wrong in their evaluations and moves that they accidentally pick top 5 or top 3. It could certainly happen this year. That might be the best case scenario for those of us wanting them to build a Cup contender. Just otherworldly ineptitude that results in unintended epic failure. Not that I think that is enough, but it would be better than nothing.

Not trying to piss anyone off, just being real.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
@ColdSteel2

They very much might, keep that one goal banner. Which would be a friggin shame. Then there is no plan.
As far as last offseason I had no problem with their offseason moves in general. Maatta and De Hann liked a lot. Shaw was alright but not a fan of them continuously bringing back past favorites. Joker trade was not a fan of at all, but I understand the thought of it.

If all they worry about is the casual fan then they are back to the old man wirtz mindset. Just do enough to keep interest and maybe make a magical run. Which would be a damn shame.
You aren't going to piss me off. I have no issues if they make a move on bowman or colliton. I just don't trust mcdounagh to pick the right man. To me all he's going to do is elevate another person from inside the organization. And just my opinion nothing will change. Just rearranging deck chairs on a sinking ship.
Thats why I would like them to just come out and say "hey we gave it one last shot with this current group, didn't work and now here's our plan "full rebuild" and go from there. Give a vague timeline and such but preach patience from the fans. They'll lose the casual fans, every team does when losing is planned. But they will keep the more invested fans still interested.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I mean, it would mean more if Keith himself was playing better.

The biggest problem with the Blackhawks isn't the supporting cast, despite its flaws, or the coaching staff, despite their flaws.

Their biggest problem is that by performance, they no longer have a legitimate 1C or 1D.

We had both through the glory days. Hell, we had two of the BEST during the glory days. By age, miles, give-a-**** or whatever you want to blame, we don't have it any more. And no team can win without both.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Whatever it is that tanked their chances, this will be the 3rd year in a row of no playoffs. Cant keep making excuses. They just arent good enough to do both at the same time and i agree, focus on the rebuild.
SB's next moves will be telling.

There are no excuses in my comment. I am not absolving the FO or anyone of anything.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I mean, it would mean more if Keith himself was playing better.

The biggest problem with the Blackhawks isn't the supporting cast, despite its flaws, or the coaching staff, despite their flaws.

Their biggest problem is that by performance, they no longer have a legitimate 1C or 1D.

We had both through the glory days. Hell, we had two of the BEST during the glory days. By age, miles, give-a-**** or whatever you want to blame, we don't have it any more. And no team can win without both.

The Pens have. Letting has been hurt a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad