NCAA: Louisiana Governor hints at halting LSU football due to budget issues

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The funny part is, people are actually furious at the new governor over this, even though he's only been in office like 5 minutes and has nothing to do with the budget shortage. Bobby Jindal took a prosperous state economy and ran it into the ground for 5 straight years, but it's all the new guy's fault. OK....

Regardless it won't happen, he's just trying to shake people up.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I can't imagine this would go over well in the next election, that is something they are quite serious about

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
How much does Les make?

A lot, I wouldn't even want to guess. But I assume shutting down the football program would be more the result of the school itself shutting down than a funding issue - if a student is not enrolled at the school he/she cannot very well participate in athletics, right?

As Gene pointed out, the football program is self-sustaining - actually the entire athletic dept. is, mostly because of the football program making enough money to subsidize everything else. That's not the issue.

This is the new governor wanting to raise taxes and explaining why it's necessary. I get why people are upset - a big part of his campaign platform was "I will not raise taxes" but at the same time, when you're faced with a collapsing public education program you have to do something. For years, Jindal sold out the state to D.C. by not accepting funds for rebuilding after the Deepwater Horizon disaster, or even trying to collect on the state's rightful claims to offshore drilling profits because he thought he was going to be president someday. What a joke that guy turned out to be.

member 51464

I imagine the NCAA would have to let all the players transfer without sitting out a year. Could be an interesting scramble.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jindal ****ing ruined that state, yeesh.

There's no way in hell this happens, as it's been mentioned LSU's athletics are self-sustaining and it feels like the new governor laying the groundwork for some uncomfortable tax hikes after Jindal handed over the keys to a totaled car.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
The Thing character: You got to be *censored* kidding me.

After getting that huge expansion in one endzone, you let the football team fold? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
While it's an empty threat, people seem to not understand why the football team would have to miss a season.

It's not that the football team would be closing down because it's broke, it would be because LSU's spring half-semester would be cancelled due to lack of funds for the university and a large chunk of the football team wouldn't be academically eligible because of it (student athletes in high-profile sports depend on those spring and summer terms in order to get sufficient credits).

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
Nice to see he's willing to hold schools hostage to get his way.

The state has NO MONEY! When a state refuses to accept federal funds (which were being offered to them for a reason), cuts taxes and increases expenditures, that state runs out of money.

LSU almost closed down last year too. This isn't all that new.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Interesting that the rage is over dropping the football season, not at shuttering the university and a cancer research center.

Not to be an ass but there are many of those and its not like they'd lose the research done there. Got to think the Tigers pay a lot of the bills around there with their gate receipts.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Someones head is going to be wanted on a silver platter just by the mere mention of halting LSU football.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Waiting for people to over react and compare the potential damage caused by the loss of LSU football to the actual damage caused by Katrina.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
A lot, I wouldn't even want to guess. But I assume shutting down the football program would be more the result of the school itself shutting down than a funding issue - if a student is not enrolled at the school he/she cannot very well participate in athletics, right?

As Gene pointed out, the football program is self-sustaining - actually the entire athletic dept. is, mostly because of the football program making enough money to subsidize everything else. That's not the issue.

This is the new governor wanting to raise taxes and explaining why it's necessary. I get why people are upset - a big part of his campaign platform was "I will not raise taxes" but at the same time, when you're faced with a collapsing public education program you have to do something. For years, Jindal sold out the state to D.C. by not accepting funds for rebuilding after the Deepwater Horizon disaster, or even trying to collect on the state's rightful claims to offshore drilling profits because he thought he was going to be president someday. What a joke that guy turned out to be.
Remember when he was supposed to be the republicans next superstar???

Amazing how people that are actually smart do dumb stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad