Celebrity Death: Louis Gossett Jr, 87 (Officer and a Gentleman, Iron Eagle, Roots, The Principal, Enemy Mine, Jaws 3, etc)

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Talk about an actor with presence. Dude was walking, talking gravitas.

I know he has classier roles including his historic Oscar win, but he was a fixture of my childhood for the likes of Iron Eagle, Enemy Mine, Jaws 3D, Toy Soliders even Firewalker (which is trash, but not because of him).

Yelling CHAAPPPYYYYY like Jason Gedrick in Iron Eagle has been a running gag with one my oldest friends for decades now. That's actually who first texted me the news.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Aw. He was in several of my favorite films as a kid: Iron Eagle, Enemy Mine and The Last Starfighter. I hadn't seen him in anything in a long time, so I didn't realize that he was still alive. Edit: It looks like he was in lots of stuff recently, just nothing that I watched.

Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I remember seeing him in the Watchmen miniseries a few years ago but mainly remember him for Toy Soldiers and especially Diggstown. I absolutely loved Diggstown as a kid.

RIP

Dec 29, 2004
This guy was HUGE in the 80's, to the point of over-exposure. What a career. RIP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad