Newsday: Lou expected to extend for 3 more years

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't hate Lamoriello and have liked most of what he's done for the franchise but three years for an 80 year old with nobody else helping/learning is a bit concerning for me.

Reactions: bigtim1988

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't hate Lamoriello and have liked most of what he's done for the franchise but three years for an 80 year old with nobody else helping/learning is a bit concerning for me.
Lou’s age is not an issue for me. I don’t believe he has one foot in the grave and another foot on a banana peel. If he was 65 there would still be nobody learning under him. He apparently has carte blanche from the owners and that is the most concerning thing to me. There is no check/balance over him.

As far as what remains in place with Lou’s return, it’s also the little things that go on during game night. The fact he had to be forced to show replays on the jumbotron, no in game stats on the board, no out of town scoreboard, no in game feed on the screens under the jumbotron, the fans having to beg for a goal announcement to be repeated over the PA by the announcer-and its only the Isles goals, not the opponents, etc, etc. Penny ante bullshit.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Lou’s age is not an issue for me. I don’t believe he has one foot in the grave and another foot on a banana peel. If he was 65 there would still be nobody learning under him. He apparently has carte blanche from the owners and that is the most concerning thing to me. There is no check/balance over him.

As far as what remains in place with Lou’s return, it’s also the little things that go on during game night. The fact he had to be forced to show replays on the jumbotron, no in game stats on the board, no out of town scoreboard, no in game feed on the screens under the jumbotron, the fans having to beg for a goal announcement to be repeated over the PA by the announcer-and its only the Isles goals, not the opponents, etc, etc. Penny ante bullshit.

His age is a huge issue for me. The likelihood of an accident or a health issue that comes out of nowhere is very high for people at that age. Much like the roster, I want to see a gradual shift away from what is currently in place.

I don't mind some of the stuff you're mentioning but I'm also not at more than a game or two each year. Some are definitely dumb and I didn't realize were evening (not) happening.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
His age is a huge issue for me. The likelihood of an accident or a health issue that comes out of nowhere is very high for people at that age. Much like the roster, I want to see a gradual shift away from what is currently in place.

I don't mind some of the stuff you're mentioning but I'm also not at more than a game or two each year. Some are definitely dumb and I didn't realize were evening (not) happening.
You make Lou sound like a ticking time bomb.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Hate to break it to you, everyone at that age is a ticking time bomb. I want to know that there's a plan, and a legitimate plan, in place if/when he isn't physically able to do the job anymore. That process needs to be happening yesterday.
Oh my God.

I’ll tell my mom that. She’ll be thrilled to hear it.

You’re not going to handle your 50s well, are you?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I’ll tell my mom that. She’ll be thrilled to hear it.

Mine already knows. :laugh: I know people don't like to talk about these sorts of things but it's just life.

Average life expectancy in the U.S. is 77.28, and women outlive men by about 6 years. The science isn't in Lou's favor here.

• Haha
Reactions: bigtim1988 and MJF

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Hate to break it to you, everyone at that age is a ticking time bomb. I want to know that there's a plan, and a legitimate plan, in place if/when he isn't physically able to do the job anymore. That process needs to be happening yesterday.
I think the plan that may be in place is Chris Lamoriello. Not weighing in on that of this extension either way.

Mine already knows. :laugh: I know people don't like to talk about these sorts of things but it's just life.

Average life expectancy in the U.S. is 77.28, and women outlive men by about 6 years. The science isn't in Lou's favor here.
But he eats fresh fruit for breakfast!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think the plan that may be in place is Chris Lamoriello. Not weighing in on that of this extension either way.

But he eats fresh fruit for breakfast!

I suspect that to be the case the longer he's around, which is meh.

Reactions: SI90

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah I’m done supporting this team for the time being. Malkin and Ledecky have done a great job with the arena and stabilizing the franchise, but their management decisions have been borderline incompetent.
Dolan made them do it:laugh:

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
And once again, the poster here with supposed “inside knowledge” that the front office would be cleared out short of a Stanley Cup run was wrong.

The Dippin Dots jokes aside, HFIsles has a horrible track record with supposed inside knowledge. The Gaudreau fiasco being the last example.

Even Reddit is better than here - they had a user leak the Horvat trade hours before it happened.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Well the fans know what’s best, so shame on Ledecky and Malkin.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Shame on Ledecky and Malkin for not assessing the current state of this team and its future path. Giving an executive a blank check and tossing them the keys is not a successful management strategy. See: NY Mets.
I can respect L&M for bringing the team to a new home that was sorely needed, but I hate their "running the actual team is someone else's problem" approach.

Well, at least if you're going to do that, put someone in charge who doesn't run the team like it's 1998.

Reactions: bigtim1988

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Shame on Ledecky and Malkin for not assessing the current state of this team and its future path. Giving an executive a blank check and tossing them the keys is not a successful management strategy. See: NY Mets.
This is what bothers me.

Lamoriello is not only the General Manager but also the President of Hockey Ops, so he literally reports to himself.

That just does not make sense because there no way in which his performance be objectively and professionally evaluated.

Sure the President of Hockey Ops reports to the owners (I assume), but why the hell would I want Scott Malkin and John Ledecky evaluating the performance of a hockey executive, they don’t know jack shit about running a successful hockey organization, they just got rich off of retail…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad