Speculation: Lots of talk about a RHD.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
We hear and see a lot of talk about the GM looking to add a RHD. I often read on here that the habs needs a superstar #1 RHD (They prolly think of a Makar)

Got me thinking, who is the best RHD of all time ? Orr, Potvin, Bourque, Lidstrom, Robinson, Salming, Housley, Leetch, Coffey, Stevens, Harvey, Pronger, Pliote, Kelly etc. were all left handed.

There is not a whole lot of #1 Superstar RHD compared to LHD.

Rob Blake, Al MacInnis, Eddie Shore, Chris Chelios, Drew Doughty and Erik Karlsson. I can't think of any other... Rafalski? Not quite a superstar but he was good. Klingberg in his first few years. Subban obviously...

I think the team will have a hard time finding a skilled RHD. Hopefully Barron will fill up the potential of being one.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Mailloux is th best RD prospect in the org. Legit star potential. Barron is a bottom pairing guy imo. Could add another RD early in the draft I think

Reactions: Kunta Kinte

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
We hear and see a lot of talk about the GM looking to add a RHD. I often read on here that the habs needs a superstar #1 RHD (They prolly think of a Makar)

Got me thinking, who is the best RHD of all time ? Orr, Potvin, Bourque, Lidstrom, Robinson, Salming, Housley, Leetch, Coffey, Stevens, Harvey, Pronger, Pliote, Kelly etc. were all left handed.

There is not a whole lot of #1 Superstar RHD compared to LHD.

Rob Blake, Al MacInnis, Eddie Shore, Chris Chelios, Drew Doughty and Erik Karlsson. I can't think of any other... Rafalski? Not quite a superstar but he was good. Klingberg in his first few years. Subban obviously...

I think the team will have a hard time finding a skilled RHD. Hopefully Barron will fill up the potential of being one.
Orr greatest ever, so....

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Hedman, Keith, Giordano, Josi, Suter, Chara, OEL

vs

Doughty, Karlsson, Subban, Makar, Weber, Letang, Pietrangelo, Fox

I think in more recent years the edge has slipped to RHD.

I agree it will be difficult to find, but FA exists as well and you never know how some of our prospects will develop.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Hedman, Keith, Giordano, Josi, Suter, Chara, OEL

vs

Doughty, Karlsson, Subban, Makar, Weber, Letang, Pietrangelo, Fox

I think in more recent years the edge has slipped to RHD.

I agree it will be difficult to find, but FA exists as well and you never know how some of our prospects will develop.

Mailloux, Barron. I know there is two Russian D prospect that are RHD but can't remember their name and too lazy tracking them back.

But you have a point that recently the difference is narrower than it used to be

Barron wasn't drafted to be a bottom pairing guy tho.

Dude had legit a great wrist shot and decent slapper. Move around defender etc. His best assets was his offence in junior...so. Yeah I have doubt for him. Never liked the trade, but I have to give it to him, he scored a sick goal for us last year. His skating is also very good. If he can develop into a Petry kind of guy, good.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
RHD. Orr was a lefty
Oh, okay. Weber then about best we had. Karlsson probably available? Trade Couple of bad contracts for him? Drouin + Hoffman? Something like that? Imagine San Jose wants dump his caphit. We have extra forwards. Then trade Savard for a first pick? Kos can play his minutes. Wideman is okay. Right shot D-men are in high demand now. Likely get overpayment on Savard

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Oh, okay. Weber then about best we had. Karlsson probably available? Trade Couple of bad contracts for him? Drouin + Hoffman? Something like that? Imagine San Jose wants dump his caphit. We have extra forwards. Then trade Savard for a first pick? Kos can play his minutes. Wideman is okay. Right shot D-men are in high demand now. Likely get overpayment on Savard
I think you missed the point of the thread.

mfilipo3

Jan 13, 2017
Mailloux is th best RD prospect in the org. Legit star potential. Barron is a bottom pairing guy imo. Could add another RD early in the draft I think
You’ve got that backwards. Mailloux is a future bust. All the tools, no toolbox guy. I’ve watched all of his games with the Knights, and he looks lost without the puck in his stick. For every sweet play he makes, he makes a boneheaded one. I’m hoping I’m wrong about that, but Barron is for sure the better prospect.

Jul 6, 2016
You’ve got that backwards. Mailloux is a future bust. All the tools, no toolbox guy. I’ve watched all of his games with the Knights, and he looks lost without the puck in his stick. For every sweet play he makes, he makes a boneheaded one. I’m hoping I’m wrong about that, but Barron is for sure the better prospect.
What about lack of experience by Mailloux ? He did not even play 20 games at OHL level so far. Let the coaches deal with him.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
We'll have a good squad to insulate him as long as he can put up points on the PP.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
You’ve got that backwards. Mailloux is a future bust. All the tools, no toolbox guy. I’ve watched all of his games with the Knights, and he looks lost without the puck in his stick. For every sweet play he makes, he makes a boneheaded one. I’m wrong about that, but Barron is for sure the better prospect.

Fixed it for you.

Reactions: mfilipo3

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Barron is lost without the puck and has worse tools. Mailloux at least has an excuse since he’s barely played and is also younger. Give him a couple of years and he’ll surpass Barron is every way. He’s got Subban potential.

Jul 6, 2016
Barron is lost without the puck and has worse tools. Mailloux at least has an excuse since he’s barely played and is also younger. Give him a couple of years and he’ll surpass Barron is every way. He’s got Subban potential.
Habs should have asked Girard instead of Barron. Girard can play RD even if he is a left shot.

Lehkonen for Girard is about fair value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad