Speculation: Lots of Questions about Free Agency, Salary Cap, Offer Sheets, etc

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I didn't know what thread to post this in so i thought i'd create a new thread. Feel free to post your own questions and discuss any ambiguous answers. Thank you in advance for anyone able to answer some of these questions.

Here are a few scenarios/questions. Don't get too caught up in the scenarios that are far fetched - they're just meant as examples.

1. Team A decides to offer sheet Mitch Marner (over 10.5M$ - so 4 1st round picks). But they have already traded their 2020 1st round pick. Are they disqualified from the process? Or does it automatically bump down a year (2021, 22, 23 & 24)?

2. Team A decides to offer sheet Marner again. But - they have 2 1st round picks next year (their own, and another teams). Can they chose which of the 2 to offer - or is it automatically their own pick offered?

3. Team A decides to offer sheet Marner again - but they traded away their own 1st round 2020 pick, but have acquired another team's pick since then. Can this be used instead?

***To be clear - i understand that with offer sheets teams are allowed to negotiate. So Leafs and Team A could negotiate and agree to any of the above scenarios - my questions are more along the lines of if Leafs don't want to negotiate and try to block the offer sheet - what do the rules allows for vs not***

4. How far past the salary cap can you get and how long can you stay there for? Example. Tampa decides to sign both Duchene and Panarin on July 1st to 11M$ each. This puts them way over the cap. Is that fine - so long as Tampa clears the cap space in time for the start of season? Or can they not even do that?

5. When PK Subban signed his contract a few years ago he had a NMC. But he was traded right before it kicked in - which nullified his NMC clause (which is why Nashville just traded him easily, no NMC). Is that the standard for all contracts with a NMC? If you get traded before it kicks in it nullifies it - or was it some specific clause negotiated in PK's contract?

6. Sticking to NMC's - Crosby has one. Let's pretend Pittsburgh trades him to Chicago tomorrow (and he lifts his NMC to go). Does his NMC automatically get reinstated once in Chicago? Or is it only good for the team he signed with (Pitt) - and once he's traded away he goes back to having 0 NMC's in his contract?

7. If an offer sheet is made to Marner with a bunch of clauses (NMC's - signing bonuses and whatever else you can throw in that's not standard) - and the Leafs match - what gets "matched" vs not? Obviously the $$ amount gets matched - what about the NMC? Signing bonuses? Any other clauses - does it all have to get matched, or just the $$ amount? (Again - I realize Leafs/Marner can negotiate on clauses once $$ is matched - but i'm asking about what happens automatically if they just match).

8. Can Coaches/Gms/executives be "traded"? Serious question. Let's say team A has an assistant coach or GM that team B really wants to sign - team A is reluctant to let them go. Can a trade happen "we'll trade you a 2nd round pick, or player B to allow you to sign this guy"?

Ok all I got. I'm sure i'll come up with more later :)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I didn't know what thread to post this in so i thought i'd create a new thread. Feel free to post your own questions and discuss any ambiguous answers. Thank you in advance for anyone able to answer some of these questions.

Here are a few scenarios/questions. Don't get too caught up in the scenarios that are far fetched - they're just meant as examples.

1. Team A decides to offer sheet Mitch Marner (over 10.5M$ - so 4 1st round picks). But they have already traded their 2020 1st round pick. Are they disqualified from the process? Or does it automatically bump down a year (2021, 22, 23 & 24)?

2. Team A decides to offer sheet Marner again. But - they have 2 1st round picks next year (their own, and another teams). Can they chose which of the 2 to offer - or is it automatically their own pick offered?

3. Team A decides to offer sheet Marner again - but they traded away their own 1st round 2020 pick, but have acquired another team's pick since then. Can this be used instead?

For offer sheets, they have to be your own picks and you can't choose which years. If you do an offer sheet this summer, those picks have to be 2020 picks (and in the case of the offers which require multiple first rounders, they have to be in consecutive years).

In order to be a threat to offer sheet Phil Kessel in 2009, Toronto had to re-acquire its 2nd rounder in 2010 that they had previously traded away.

In short:

1. ̶D̶i̶s̶q̶u̶a̶l̶i̶f̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶.̶ ̶ EDIT: Apparently the CBA allows the club to defer to 2021-2024.
2. They have to offer their own.
3. They have to offer their own / disqualified.

Last edited:

TK

Feb 26, 2019
You're wrong on number 1. Just need 4 of your 1st rounders over the next 5 years.

Reactions: Brodeur

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
You're wrong on number 1. Just need 4 of your 1st rounders over the next 5 years.

Thanks for the correction, I didn't know that. For the OP:

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

What are the details for the club making the offer sheet?

To submit an Offer Sheet, the following conditions must be met:
  1. The submitting club must have all of the required draft picks available prior to submission
  2. All of the draft picks required as compensation must be the club's own draft picks (draft picks acquired from a different team in a trade cannot be used)
  3. The draft picks must available in the nearest entry draft, unless the compensation requires two or more draft picks in the same round: an extra year can be used to for compensation for these picks (if two 1st round picks are required, the club must have two 1st round picks available in the next three drafts)
  4. If an Offer Sheet is proposed in which multiple draft picks from the same round are required as compensation, the additional draft picks are sourced from the immediately succeeding drafts in which the draft picks are available
  5. A club is permitted to present multiple Offer Sheets, so long as the club has all of the picks required to satisfy each Offer Sheet.
NOTE: Clubs who do not have all of their own picks cannot substitute those picks with picks they have obtained from other clubs. However, clubs can reacquire their own picks in order to meet the requirements, but they must do so prior to submission

And then from the CBA itself:

Clubs cannot acquire picks to use as compensation (with the exception being a Club's own draft selections that are traded and then re-acquired).

Clubs owing one (1) draft selection must have it available in the next draft.

Clubs owing two (2) draft selections in different rounds must have them available in the next draft.

Clubs owing three (3) draft selections in different rounds must have them available in the next draft.

Clubs owing two (2) draft selections in the same round, must have them available in the next three (3) drafts.

Clubs owing three (3) draft selections in the same round must have them available in the next four (4) drafts, and so on.

When a Club owes two (2) or more draft selections in the same round, the signing Club does not elect the years in which such selections shall be awarded to the Prior Club; rather, the selections next available will be transferred to the Prior Club (i.e., a Club that owes two (2) selections has
them available in the next two (2) drafts – that is when they are transferred).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad