Friedman: Lots of interest in Greg Pateryn

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
This has Bob Murray written all over it

this. Just please keep it low and no more than 2 years Bob. Please.

This makes a lot of sense.

A couple of years ago, I went to the Fedorin Cup in Anaheim - a charity hockey game put on by the Ducks, which features mostly Anaheim players and alumni. For some reason, Greg Pateryn was playing in the game.

His wife was seated in front of me, so I took a moment to ask her why he was there. He's from Michigan and was playing for the Habs, so why was he involved in the game? Her response: "He's here because of me - I'm from Orange County". The fact that he would fit into the Ducks 3rd pair AND live close to his wife's family would make it a good match.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
A couple of years ago, I went to the Fedorin Cup in Anaheim - a charity hockey game put on by the Ducks, which features mostly Anaheim players and alumni. For some reason, Greg Pateryn was playing in the game.

His wife was seated in front of me, so I took a moment to ask her why he was there. He's from Michigan and was playing for the Habs, so why was he involved in the game? Her response: "He's here because of me - I'm from Orange County". The fact that he would fit into the Ducks 3rd pair AND live close to his wife's family would make it a good match.

it's in Murray's DNA to overpay a bottom pairing defenseman. He's been doing it for a long time in Anaheim. Sutton, Allen, Souray, Bieksa, and Stoner just off the top of my head. I'm fine with Pateryn, and if it's under 1.75 million, I'm all for it. Just nervous about another Stoner contract.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
2 M is bit much, but at hat price it is not going to hurt any team that signs him... Term is the key here.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Really? This guy was terrible in Montreal. Couldnt make a first pass on the tape and got beat 1v1 nightly.

Didnt know teams were desperate for a 6-7 to make it a priority on July 1.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The only competitive teams that would find value out of Pateryn are ones with really good top 4's like Nashville. Teams who could use some solid, price-effective guys to eat some minutes on the bottom pairing, but do not need to rely upon them heavily otherwise. But for any competitive team who needs a legit bottom pairing defenseman, I would not think Pateryn is the type of guy you should be looking for unless you are low on options. He may fit on some less competitive teams' bottom pairing though, or as a #7 on a good team.

At least based on how I have seen him play on the Habs the past few years.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I have been parroting his name as a RHD option for the Blues should we find ourselves thin there if we traded one of our "overrated" RHD.

He averaged 19:37 TOI last season playing for Hitch on what I presume is the 2nd pairing. Good enough for me.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Really? This guy was terrible in Montreal. Couldnt make a first pass on the tape and got beat 1v1 nightly.

Didnt know teams were desperate for a 6-7 to make it a priority on July 1.

That still pretty much describes him to a T. He is going to get a contract this summer thanks to Hitchcock and Dan Hamhuis

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
You do not want the puck on his stick in the defensive zone. The guy is a disaster waiting to happen anytime he has to move the puck out of the d-zone.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Speaking of hamhuis, any news on where he may go?

There was talk that we wanted to bring him back. Not sure where they are on that but for Hammer I think he has 2 options. Re-sign with Dallas for 1 year deals until we dont want him and then retire (he is old and a decline could happen any season) or move his family one last time and go for what ever team offers him 2-3 years.

Honestly with his age and the fact that the season seemed to take a toll on him near the end of the season I dont think anyone should offer him more than 1 year, but if anyone does they are getting a pretty solid #4 if he plays like last year. For those reasons I wouldnt be shocked if we re-signed with us even if the fans would rather move on

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
it's in Murray's DNA to overpay a bottom pairing defenseman. He's been doing it for a long time in Anaheim. Sutton, Allen, Souray, Bieksa, and Stoner just off the top of my head. I'm fine with Pateryn, and if it's under 1.75 million, I'm all for it. Just nervous about another Stoner contract.

I've accepted that we'll be signing one of Ouellet, Moore, or Pateryn once free agency starts. Just look at these guys:

Sutton: 2.0625M x 2 years
Allen: 3.5M x 3 years
Souray: 3.6667M x 3 years (modified NTC)
Bieksa: 4M x 2 years (NMC) !!!!!
Stoner: 3.25 x 4 years

Beauchemin was the outlier at 1M x 1 year.

Reactions: Duck Off

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Don't the advanced stats show this guy had a top of the league season as a defensive D? Like he was up there with a lot of surprising names. Obviously not saying he is the same caliber, but clearly he has at least one valuable skillset. Toronto should make an offer.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Russo seems to think Pateryn to Minnesota is pretty likely.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman was the first to report the Wild’s interest in the Dallas Stars defenseman, and I have confirmed via a source that the Wild have had “positive conversations” with Pateryn. Which means, it’s probably a done deal.

Seeler-Pateryn seems like it'd be a good third pairing, though I worry a little about the price considering how much the blueline costs overall. The fact that Pateryn did well on Dallas' second pairing with a defensively sound partner is... intriguing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad