Friedman: Lots of interest in Greg Pateryn

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
He brings a physical element to his game and he was solid for the Stars. So if Minnesota lands him that should be an upgrade.

Reactions: Fixxer

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'd add to the points here. I'd like him on say the leafs or wild, but for say 1.5 millino. 2 million is a bit pricey for someone carried by hamhuis

Reactions: WhatWhat

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
He's not bad at all, he's better than Benn, the guy that we got for him and we lost a 4th round pick in the process.

Not sure why Dallas won't give him 2M, he was good for them.

Gotta eventually give the kids a shot. Stephen Johns passed him on the RD depth chart and we can’t continue to keep scratching Honka if we want him to develop into what he’s shown in glimpses - especially in Jim Montgomery’s system.

Pateryn is a solid #5-6 on a lot of teams. He’ll be seen as a good pickup. Far from a #7D as mentioned above.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I'd like him in OTT to stabilize the RHD, he cant be worse than Ceci or Wideman

after Karlsson last year, the right side looked completely lost on the ice

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Pateryn is just average and will never anything more than a mediocre 3rd pairing guy.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Preds should be sifting through options for a potential #5 guy who upgrades on Weber/Irwin/Bitetto. Pateryn looks like a guy to consider.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Has he improved his consistency in Dallas? I liked him overall but he would just have these brutal turnover moments and basically cost the team games. When goals are so hard to come by in the NHL, you just can't give up freebies. That's the kind of thing that takes years off a coach's life expectancy, and punches a ticket out of town eventually. I play D myself so I sympathize, but I'm also not being paid a million dollars by a NHL club.

I could see there being interest since he would be a legit but flawed NHL 3rd pairing D-man, with a nice physical element, but maybe upside if he has the IQ to improve his game the next few years as part of his maturation, cut down on mistakes.

Reactions: Fixxer and BHD

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Ceci is that bad? Becuase Pateryn is a #5 guy at his peak, a #7 guy most of the time

below is how I've described Ceci to a Habs/Blues fan

"Ceci last year was most likely the worse defensively for the Sens
he was having like 1-2 brain farts per period... it resulted in very costly mistakes that costs the Sens quite a few games
2 years ago he showed lots of potential but last year he was a complete opposite of that... Mike Green from the early 2010's in WAS looked like Chara defensively compared to him"

he was qualified at 2.8M but I seriously dont think that he's worth that much, even in today's NHL... hopefully he doesnt re-sign for more than that

EDIT: after looking at stats and advanced stats (I havent seen enough of Dallas to give an accurate/unbiased analisys of Pateryn)... Pateryn doesnt look any better than Ceci... both look like bottom paring RHD

Last edited:
Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Gotta eventually give the kids a shot. Stephen Johns passed him on the RD depth chart and we can’t continue to keep scratching Honka if we want him to develop into what he’s shown in glimpses - especially in Jim Montgomery’s system.

Pateryn is a solid #5-6 on a lot of teams. He’ll be seen as a good pickup. Far from a #7D as mentioned above.

Thank you for the information.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
He's not bad at all, he's better than Benn, the guy that we got for him and we lost a 4th round pick in the process.

Not sure why Dallas won't give him 2M, he was good for them.

Because he was not good lol... He benefited from a Hitch system and being paired with Hamhuis (someone who is still a shit ton better than many give him credit for). His transition ability is abysmal and his speed isnt great.

Pateryn away from the puck is great. He will fill lanes and is strong as hell. Clearing the crease is no problem for him. However once the puck goes to boards there is a 70% chance he doesnt get there first because he isnt agile at all and if he gets there first its a coin toss as to which team he passes the puck to. If he learned to exit he would be very respectable. Pateryn's problem is that thanks to horrendous transition ability he is forced to play an extra defensive shift every other clear attempt.

Solid 6/7. Anyone signing him and using him for more than that is just mistaken. He owes Hitch and Hammer a big fat steak dinner because the contract he will get is 10000000% thanks to them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad