Speculation: Loss to Waivers?

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
Assuming that McKegg beats out McClement for the center spot, we will have 14 forwards (+1 in injured Sestito) and 8 defensemen who will be on the roster. In your opinion, who do we try to sneak down to the AHL? As a follow-up question, will they be claimed?

Edit: Ruhwedel typo. On mobile.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Assuming that McKegg beats out McClement for the center spot, we will have 14 forwards (+1 in injured Sestito) and 8 defensemen who will be on the roster. In your opinion, who do we try to sneak down to the AHL? As a follow-up question, will they be claimed?

McClement........and who cares.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Archibald because the Penguins have like 3 guys that are the exact same as him in the organization, and no I don't think he'd get claimed.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I voted Archie because I think they'd try to sneak him through but I don't think it will come to that. I think Poo is going to be traded for what ever they can get.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Ruhwedel is the best player out of the lot, so I wouldn't want to lose him. Archibald's speed makes him a great fit for the 4th line. Kuhn's not bad, but pretty meh as an NHLer--he'll block a lot of shots and all, but he's nothing to worry about losing if he's claimed. I think Pouliot's the worst of the group, but I also think his draft pedigree will have GMs look past his development, or lack thereof, and contribute to his value as a trade asset.

I'd lose Kuhn, in short.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yea, Archie would be the odd man out. I don't think any team would even bother picking him up though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As much as I hate Pouliot, I go with Archibald on this as well and hope he doesn't get claimed, but if he does, we're pretty good with that type of player in the system for it not o even be noticeable.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Pouliot would certainly be able to bring back at least a pick of some kind from anyone with a weak D corps so that's not happening. Archibald for sure.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think they'll try to get Archibald through waivers with Kuhnhackl and then Rowney being the runners up. Ruhwedel is the 7D and won't be waived because of that. Pouliot will surely be claimed and they need to get something out of that mess so he won't be waived.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah no chance Ruhwedel gets waived like that, the guy was solid last year in his call-up and in the playoffs and looked fine in the pre-season games he played.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I really think theres a possibility that Pooh is potentially waived over Archie.
People will claim thats a waste of an asset BUT if DET refuses to take Pooh for Sheahan then what is he really worth at this point? /shrugs.

JR will 100% try to get something useful for him before that happens tho.

In terms of safest of not being waived, i'd put Ruh at the top followed by Rowney/Kuhn then Archie atm.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Kuhn is a dime a dozen. Just feel like Archibald has more of a scoring touch.

If Kuhn is a dime a dozen the Archi is a nickle. His only skill better than Kuhn is speed. Thats it.

Archibald probably isnt an NHL caliber player, at least on a deep team. Kuhnackl is.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think Kuhn is the better player, but the way our team is constructed, I keep Archi over him. In terms of bigger guys who are more PK/defensive, we have Rowney, Kuhn, Reaves. We have speedy guys on our team, but who is identical to Archi as a 4th line energy guy? Maybe Wilson but Wilson is more of a 3rd liner. Archi is one of the few fast/furious 4th line speedsters.

I keep Archi over Kuhn.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Becomes more a question of handedness and refinement. Archibald's game lacks adaptation or notable upward trajectory on development arc. Unclear what his value-add is over RHS, faster, better forechecker, better scorer (I guess) Rust. Roster addition: RHS, F1 fourth liner Ryan Reaves added to roster. No counterpart for Kuhnhackl added.

Kuhnhackl and adaptation: Bloodlines and development arc towards scoring winger. Determined that he wasn't good enough to be a scorer AND be in the NHL (around 2015 or so) and really re-imaged his game. If you can, go back and track select games from Windsor (OHL) to early WBS to late WBS, major difference in play style and emphasis.

Not to get off on a tangent, but not being good enough to be a top-six forward doesn't make you a bottom-six player...embracing your role as a bottom-six forward makes you a bottom-six forward and a regular in the league (some have enough skill to buoy them until they're ready to give in and embrace it, Daniel Winnik is an example of this...a player who did not want to be a third liner early in his time in the league and it showed in the on-ice product). Kuhnhackl really adapted his game nicely and tailored it to a niche spot and he studied hard on it too, it shows.

He's our biggest bottom six forward outside of Reaves and as a LHS who can play LW and RW, he provides a good matchup scenario against RHS...he's also better defensively than other LHS players on the team (except Crosby).

I like Archibald. There is nothing amazing or special about Kuhnhackl...in fact, I kinda wish Archie was kept over him just so I don't have to hear that "Player of the Century" line about his dad every time Kuhn touches the puck on any telecast throughout the league. But I can live without Archibald, there's a number of him in the league, there's a better version of him on the team already. Kuhnhackl is the tactical choice in my opinion...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My bet is that Pouliot is traded and a forward starts the season on IR, so no one to begin with.

But long term I think we end up with McKegg or Rowney as 13th forward and both of Kuhnhackl and Archibald either waived or traded. My guess is Kuhnhackl's track record gives him more value, as both as a trade throw in and potential waiver claimee, unless someone out there wants a really fast 4th liner.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Trade Pouliot. Ideally Kuhnhackl/Archibald would rotate on the 4th line until one of them claims the spot.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I like Archibald. There is nothing amazing or special about Kuhnhackl...in fact, I kinda wish Archie was kept over him just so I don't have to hear that "Player of the Century" line about his dad every time Kuhn touches the puck on any telecast throughout the league.

You know his dad could've rivaled Gretzky's records if he came over the pond, right?

:laugh:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yeah..."not player of the month or even the year..."

Yeah, please tell me more about the guy who beat out Sven Butenschon for accolades...

(just a joke, as a history major in hockey, I have a lot of respect for Mr. Kuhn...just tired of that line...)

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad