Loss of Eyesight - McGee, O'Ree, Berard.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
cut.jpg

cut.jpg

cut.jpg

cut.jpg
O'Ree's playing ability recalled by teammates ahead of number retirement

"Hall of Fame Builder scored 30 goals five times in 13 WHL seasons

Willie O'Ree said he got curious reactions from some New Haven Nighthawks players when he walked into their locker room for the first time in 1972. "There were three of four players there who I played with or against," O'Ree said of the now defunct American Hockey League team. "The rest of them were kids. I'm walking down and I can hear some of these kids say, 'Who is that old guy?'" They soon found out. At 37, O'Ree was New Haven's fifth-leading scorer with 45 points (21 goals, 24 assists) in 50 games. He scored one goal and four points fewer than Garry Howatt (22 goals, 49 points in 65 games) and nine goals and 23 points more than Bobby Nystrom (12 goals, 22 points in 60 games), rookie professionals who would become cornerstones of the New York Islanders' four Stanley Cup championships from 1979-83. "He was definitely a good player," Nystrom said. "He was very good with the puck, had tremendous speed. He was built like a racer. He looked like he could run the 100-yard dash."

O'Ree vs the Soviets!​

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Henry Boucha suffered a serious eye injury after getting high-sticked by Dave Forbes. Forbes was even taken to court for the incident, but it resulted in a hung jury.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Saw Parent mentioned above, but another in the list of casualties that led to the move away from the form-fitted goal masks was Gerry Desjardins. He attempted a comeback after he had surgery over the summer, but it didn't last long or go well.

Nashua_Telegraph_Fri__Feb_11__1977_.jpg

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Man. When these injuries over the years are listed like this, I’m amazed that visors stayed optional and that so many players opted against them for so long. The story about the Polish player made my skin crawl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad