TBN: Losing takes toll on Ristolainen/wants to help change that by stepping up into leadership role

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Losing takes toll on Sabres' Rasmus Ristolainen

"It's just really tough to lose all the time," the defenseman said. "Everyone wants to make playoffs so bad, and we weren't close. It's hard when at Christmas you're done kind of, and then you still have 40 games to play. It's really tough."

The 23-year-old says he will change. Despite being one of the longest-tenured players, Ristolainen hardly comes to mind in terms of leaders. He rarely talks or takes charge on the ice.

"I feel like I can be more vocal," he said. "I feel like I work hard every day on and off the ice, but I can be a better leader vocally. I have had some great leaders so far on the teams I've been on here and back home, and I want to learn from all those guys and be one of them."

"Young guys that are starting to be young vets and know this league, that's all they know," defenseman Josh Gorges said of losing. "That's all they know. Whether you can say they're accepting it or allowing it to be the case, they don't know the other side of it.

"As soon as this team gets on a roll and starts winning games, they're going to see the other side of it and how great it is to be on the top and winning games consistently. It's a different feel. When they understand that and get that feel, I don't think they'll let it go."

Ristolainen says he wants that feeling.

"Every single guy needs to change," he said. "This year was really tough for me – I think one of the toughest ones so far because you expect a lot and we were not there where we need to be. From top to bottom, everyone needs to change."

Ristolainen knows that includes himself.

"Rasmus is a really fierce competitor," Sabres coach Phil Housley said. "He plays a really gritty game with good puck skills and good decisions. I think he's a guy that you can rely on. He's dependable. I think he's got a lot of pride in his game.

"Obviously, he doesn't like where we are right now. He wants to be a solution to the problem. Moving forward, he has to be a big part of that."

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
We need guys in the dressing room that will stand up to players who don't bring it every night. It's an uncomfortable role to be in, but this whole "I need to be better" act being put on by the best players on the team is nonsense. Jack, ROR and Risto need to start saying "you need to be better" and point the finger. Start challenging your teammates and demand the best.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
There were numerous times this season that Risto blew it in the clutch moments. This was a theme of the season and something I commented on regularly. Whether it was tipping a shot in to our own net in OT or not holding the puck in the o-zone on a late PP, I totally buy this.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Young Dmen need to be able to worry only about themselves. They need to be able to take chances and make mistakes and have others cover for them so that they can learn without it destroying their confidence. That's how the good ones develop. They can't be worrying about having to cover for their D partner. Or worry about covering for the forwards. Or worry about covering for the goalie. Risto has spent a considerable amount of time paired with Josh Gorges and playing in front of Robin Lehner. Forget about anybody being their to cover for his mistakes. He has always had to put covering for others first. His development was headed straight for the shitter the day TM took over and completely dismantled the defense and blew up the goaltending. It's completely devastating to think that we were positioned to have a D pairing of Risto and Zadorov, and have that not even be the team's first pairing.

Reactions: dasaybz and Icicle

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Young Dmen need to be able to worry only about themselves. They need to be able to take chances and make mistakes and have others cover for them so that they can learn without it destroying their confidence. That's how the good ones develop. They can't be worrying about having to cover for their D partner. Or worry about covering for the forwards. Or worry about covering for the goalie. Risto has spent a considerable amount of time paired with Josh Gorges and playing in front of Robin Lehner. Forget about anybody being their to cover for his mistakes. He has always had to put covering for others first. His development was headed straight for the ****ter the day TM took over and completely dismantled the defense and blew up the goaltending.

What exactly would he be doing then?

Reactions: jBuds

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Yawn... Frustrated players saying frustrating things after a frustrating season. Every year these types of comments are said by multiple players after losing seasons. Risto and ROR and (insert future interview of a frustrated player) are no different. Far from unique.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yawn... Frustrated players saying frustrating things after a frustrating season. Every year these types of comments are said by multiple players after losing seasons. Risto and ROR and (insert future interview of a frustrated player) are no different. Far from unique.
The point of the article was lost on you.

The losing was only part of it. It was also about Risto wanting to step up and help change that next year. That he is normally a guy in the background. But he feels he needs to be more vocal, put himself forward and be a leader on the team. Something we’ve never heard from him thus making his comments something new from him or to use your word unique. I’m guessing you didn’t actually read it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad