Prospect Info: Los Angeles Kings Prospect Poll - How Did We Do?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
For the past month and a half, we had polls to determine how the members of HF ranked the Kings prospects (for the sake of this poll, prospect status was eligibility to win the Calder this season).

I wanted to begin by thanking the people who participated, either through voting, discussion, and/or nominations. And of course thank you to the mods for letting me do it to pass the time.

Consequently, the following players were considered "graduated":
Gabriel Vilardi, F
Jaret Anderson-Dolan, F
Mikey Anderson, D
Tobias Bjornfot, D

The following players were not in the poll/lost due to no longer being in the organization:
Cole Hults, D
Daniel Brickley, D
Bokondji Imama, F
Drake Rymsha, F

These were the results:
Rank. Name, Pos (%), change from last year
1. Quinton Byfield, F (98.6%), +0
2. Brandt Clarke, D (43.3%), NR
3. Alex Turcotte, F (69.9%), +0
4. Arthur Kaliyev, F (94.1%), +1
5. Brock Faber, D (44.6%), +9
6. Rasmus Kupari, F (67.1%), +3
7. Akil Thomas, F (35.4%), +4
8. Samuel Fagemo, F (47.5%), -2
9. Tyler Madden, F (65.9%), -1
10. Francesco Pinelli, F (34.2%), NR
11. Helge Grans, D (48.8%), -1
12. Kale Clague, D (29.0%), +0
13. Martin Chromiak, F (39.4%), +8
14. Kirill Kirsanov, D (34.3%), NR
15. Kim Nousiainen, D (20.6%), +0
16. Jordan Spence, D (31.3%), +1
17. Samuel Helenius, F (47.5%), NR
18. Jacob Moverare, D (37.3%), +4
19. Vladimir Tkachev, F (44.9%), NR
20. Kasper Simontaival, F (60.7%), -2
21. Lukas Parik, G (30.6%, tiebreaker), -1
22. Austin Strand, D (53.3%), +8
23. Alex Laferriere, F (33.9%), +2
24. Andre Lee, F (42.5%), +5
25. Sean Durzi, D (40.4%), -2
26. Jacob Ingham, G (30.0%, tiebreaker), -2
27. Aatu Jamsen, F (40.5%), -1
28. Ben Meehan, D (37.5%), +0
29. Aidan Dudas, F (28.1%, tiebreaker), -10
30. Johan Sodergran, F (29.5%), +4
31. Juho Markkanen, G (28.0%), +0
32. David Hrenak, G (46.2%), +4
33. Braden Doyle, D (58.1%), +2
34. Bulat Shafigullin, F (51.9%), -1
35. Brayden Burke, F (33.3%), NR
36. Matthew Villalta, G (44.0%), -9
37. Markus Phillips, D (57.7%), +1
38. Alexander Dergachyov, F (100%), +1

Some notable observations
Top Risers
Brock Faber, moving up 9 spots, up to 5th overall from 14th.
Martin Chromiak, moving up 8 spots, up to 13th overall from 21th.
Austin Strand, moving up 8 spots, up to 22nd overall from 30th

Biggest Fallers:
Aidan Dudas, moving down 10 spots, down to 29th from 19th.
Matthew Villalta, moving down 9 spots, down to 36th from 27th.
Tie between Samuel Fagemo, Kasper Simontaival, Sean Durzi, and Jacob Ingham, who all moved down 2 spots.

Do you agree with the rankings? Do you think the rises and falls accurately reflect the last season?

I figure this is the last thread about prospects before preseason starts.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
Agree. Thanks for doing the poll. The top 20 to me are pretty solid and highlight our depth.

my biggest take away.

The top end goalie depth will need to be addressed soon (damn, I wish would could have worked out something for Wallstedt)

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
For the most part its good, but I really disagree with the Chromiak, Helenius and Dudas rankings. I don't think Chromiak did anything to deserve be 8 spots higher or at least not higher than Spence or Nousianen, same thing with Dudas where I don't think his play in the AHL warranted him dropping as much as he did. I think Helenius' potential is great enough where I would've had him ahead of Chromiak.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
For the most part its good, but I really disagree with the Chromiak, Helenius and Dudas rankings. I don't think Chromiak did anything to deserve be 8 spots higher or at least not higher than Spence or Nousianen, same thing with Dudas where I don't think his play in the AHL warranted him dropping as much as he did. I think Helenius' potential is great enough where I would've had him ahead of Chromiak.
Couldn't agree more. The top 5 picks match my list before things get a bit dodgy.

Personally, Kupari is 6-7 spots too high. I also think Tkachev should either be higher by 12 spots based on his ability or preferably omitted entirely. He isn't a prospect, he is a professional.

I also feel goalies should be ranked separately.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Couldn't agree more. The top 5 picks match my list before things get a bit dodgy.

Personally, Kupari is 6-7 spots too high. I also think Tkachev should either be higher by 12 spots based on his ability or preferably omitted entirely. He isn't a prospect, he is a professional.

I also feel goalies should be ranked separately.

I have a couple switches in the top 5, but the names are the same. 6+ is when it veered a bit for me too.

I'll probably do the goalies separately next year. On the one hand, I think doing it this way serves two purposes:

1) it demonstrates how goalie prospect value does drop a bit when you stack them up against skaters

2) it inadvertently also serves as a goalie ranking when you rank them relative to each other.

But it might be worth doing them separately in future polls. I'll try to remember next year.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I have a couple switches in the top 5, but the names are the same. 6+ is when it veered a bit for me too.

I'll probably do the goalies separately next year. On the one hand, I think doing it this way serves two purposes:

1) it demonstrates how goalie prospect value does drop a bit when you stack them up against skaters

2) it inadvertently also serves as a goalie ranking when you rank them relative to each other.

But it might be worth doing them separately in future polls. I'll try to remember next year.
Its just a fun exercise, so what ever way it shakes out is cool. Its more of a personal preference as I feel there are two types of goalies, phenoms and those shaped by circumstances too difficult and varied to judge at that age. I don't have confidence in my goalie projections.

Reactions: King'sPawn

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Austin Strand really did himself a favor last season by playing a solid game every time he stepped on the ice. Under different circumstances he would have been buried deep in the depth chart in Ontario. He got an opportunity that Clague has had for two seasons and took advantage. Says a lot for his future.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Austin Strand really did himself a favor last season by playing a solid game every time he stepped on the ice. Under different circumstances he would have been buried deep in the depth chart in Ontario. He got an opportunity that Clague has had for two seasons and took advantage. Says a lot for his future.
Strand was solid every game but it has nothing to do with Clague. Neither Strand or Clague have had much opportunity to be honest. Clague made plays in some games that show he has very high upside but was just not consistently solid like Strand. They are different players being asked to do different things.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I think with the depth of the prospects I can see Blake taking more of a risk with Russian kids that might not come over. Because the franchise won’t sink or swim with them, like if they were your only big prospects.

They're victims of the lack of media attention for Finnish leagues, for sure. I think Simontaival in particular is going to be a key piece of our future top 9.

I think Simontavial and Nousiainen get overlooked a lot.

Reactions: RossLonsberryFan

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Also it is funny to see drafting of a lot more Europeans than during the Lombardi years. Seems like it’s 50/50 between NA and Europe right now.

If I counted right 17 Europeans drafted from 2006-2016. And from 2017-2021 there’s been 16 Europeans drafted. I like the wider field of view for drafting.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Also it is funny to see drafting of a lot more Europeans than during the Lombardi years. Seems like it’s 50/50 between NA and Europe right now.

If I counted right 17 Europeans drafted from 2006-2016. And from 2017-2021 there’s been 16 Europeans drafted. I like the wider field of view for drafting.

I know I have my spreadsheet saved somewhere. But I have a breakdown of Lombardi vs Blake as far as drafts. F:D:G ratio, percentage of different leagues, nationalities, handedness, and size. I'll post some bits when I find it. Or maybe I'll just share it.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
The following players were not in the poll/lost due to no longer being in the organization:
Cole Hults, D
Daniel Brickley, D
Bokondji Imama, F
Drake Rymsha, F

WHAT!?!?! No mention of either Eyssimont or Luff?

YOU'RE FIRED!!!

:mad:

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
I think Simontaival and Chromiak are sleepers. Both players were prodigies in their youth excelling against players 2 to 3 years older in U16, U18 and U20.

Simontaival is still only 19 playing with KalPa in Liiga and expected to play a significant role on that team. He remains unsigned by the Kings and signed a 3 year contract with KalPa. It looks like the Kings won’t get a chance to sign him till March/April 2024, just a few months before his reserve list rights expire.

Chromiak should put up huge numbers in the OHL this year for Kingston. He still remains unsigned and his reserve rights expire June 1, 2022.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
For anybody that wants to continue the thought excorcise...

Now take those players and slot them into their respective positions depth chart and see which ones have the shortest line of players ahead of them

Reactions: King'sPawn and YP44

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
For anybody that wants to continue the thought excorcise...

Now take those players and slot them into their respective positions depth chart and see which ones have the shortest line of players ahead of them

Going by the list we made and the expected position(s), that would be:

Turcotte - Byfield - Kaliyev
Fagemo - Pinelli - Kupari
Madden - Helenius - Thomas
Tkachev - Dudas - Chromiak
Lee - Burke - Simontaival
Sodergran - Dergachyov - Laferriere
Shafigullin - - Jamsen

Clague - Clarke
Kirsanov - Faber
Nousiainen - Grans
Moverare - Spence
Meehan - Strand
Phillips - Durzi
- Doyle

Parik
Ingham
Markkanen
Hrenak
Villalta

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think we pretty well nailed it, there wasn't anyone +/- a handful of slots away from where I'd personally have them, especially at the top end. I'd personally have Madden at 5 but otherwise its +/- 1 slot in the top 10-15. The goalies did make it a little bit goofy but they're also so deep that, just like the players, pretty large swings are kind of justifiable. It does highlight our weakness. i don't think anyone would have had a hard time slotting Wallsteadt or Cossa in the 5-10 area had we drafted them?

Re the risers, I think a year in not much was happening each guy showed well--everyone remembered Faber's explosion in the WJC as well as meteoric growth in college. Even if it's arguably a slot or two too much, Chromiak showed he could be productive without Wright and no matter where you put him/against whatever opponent. And Strand went from afterthought to looking like a Matt Greene clone.

Sort of same with the fallers. Dudas is getting older and just hasn't grown, and between drafting guys and the growth of others, we have much better bottom six options available. Villalta, if I could fire him off the bottom of the chart, I would, he earned every bit of that shit ranking. If I showed anyone MV's numbers without the name they'd not even want him as a contract in the org. The others dropping 2 is negligible movement.

Even though he's RHD Clarke really nailed the blue chip defensive depth into making our pool look unstoppable minus an elite goalie option.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Thanks for the effort to do the rankings. It's time consuming for sure.

Nice to see the D depth filling out considerably the past two drafts but agree with a few other commenters, we either need to have one of our G prospects step it up or we need to pick someone high next year to hang our hopes on. Villalta, Parik, etc don't exactly give me a chubby.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
For the nice prospects who might not sign with us due to our crazy depth, I think we should start looking at teams like Arizona who those prospects would likely sign with due to lots of spots on their roster to shoot for. And we can see if we can pick off a nice, early-in-prime/pre-peak young veteran player we could use like a Chychrun for those prospects and some other futures. Of course we can give those teams permission to see if those prospects' agents are willing to sign for that other organization.

I have a feeling we may have issues signing quite a few quality guys...I heard like Simontaival, Chromiak, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad