News Article: Los Angeles Kings: 2021-22 NHL Season Preview from NBC Sports

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Started off very strong and fair, then kind of lost me when he started complaining about the Cap situation and as if Anze Kopitar is a problem, then FULLY lost me when using Dom as support for a similar take on Doughty. That's an instant DQ from me :laugh:

Like most of the national writers--the overall thesis is there and fair, the nuanced details exhibit a severe lack of context, by the end he was just reading random names off the prospect list and suggesting Walker and Roy are problem contracts. Someone competent started writing this article, someone completely hammered finished it.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Started off very strong and fair, then kind of lost me when he started complaining about the Cap situation and as if Anze Kopitar is a problem, then FULLY lost me when using Dom as support for a similar take on Doughty. That's an instant DQ from me :laugh:

Like most of the national writers--the overall thesis is there and fair, the nuanced details exhibit a severe lack of context, by the end he was just reading random names off the prospect list and suggesting Walker and Roy are problem contracts. Someone competent started writing this article, someone completely hammered finished it.
Indeed man.

I know they try to include a little drama and want to start discussion yada yada... but portions of that article were very very weak.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Not sure it was much of an article about the Kings and the state of affairs! Could of written something better in my drunken stupor...Like the Kings will be more competitive this year and far far better in a few years time when the youngsters all come together and make the Kings into play-off and Stanley Cup contenders

Reactions: kingsfan

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Anyone that's trying to cover all 32 teams is going to take short cuts.

Anyone.

Absolutely, respect for a job that's difficult, in a way it's like criticizing the PWHA for not watching 31 teams 82 games a year.

But some are much better than others.

Some are much, MUCH better than others.

Some list Walker and Roy as problem contracts and I just can't. Talk about telling on yourself.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Absolutely, respect for a job that's difficult, in a way it's like criticizing the PWHA for not watching 31 teams 82 games a year.

But some are much better than others.

Some are much, MUCH better than others.

Some list Walker and Roy as problem contracts and I just can't. Talk about telling on yourself.

I guess I've reached the point where I just don't take anybody who covers "every team" seriously wether it's The Hockey Guy, Dom, ESPN or any of the "greats". There's just too much happening to have any meaningful insight unless you're paying close attention on a regular basis over a long period of time.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I guess I've reached the point where I just don't take anybody who covers "every team" seriously wether it's The Hockey Guy, Dom, ESPN or any of the "greats". There's just too much happening to have any meaningful insight unless you're paying close attention on a regular basis over a long period of time.

I think we agree. I try to cut them some slack because its too much for even the biggest nerds to handle. This one just started so promising and went so, so wrong :laugh: And I can't really fault anyone for not watching the Kings. I think back to Matt Roy's contract and the amount of 'who?'s.

I prefer being the underdog anyway. Yes, yes, Kopitar and Doughty are huge problems... yes, yes, there's no way we'll make the playoffs... see y'all in May! I have high hopes this season :D I'd love another Cinderalla run!

I'm pleasantly surprised how many on HF are kind of pumping the kings and a little surprised that others just don't even think Arvidsson and Danault are difference makers.

Don't get me wrong Kings need a LOT to go right--health, growth from the youth, continued performance and leadership from the vets--but on paper this team, at least in this chuck e cheese division, looks much stronger.

Then again 2020 sooo I don't know what to expect anymore except spending a lot on booze :dunno:

Reactions: andys

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018

Great post. The media is usually 3 years behind in their analysis of the Kings.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
“It’s sobering that the Kings are allotting the same amount of cap space ($21 million, per Cap Friendly) for Drew Doughty and Anze Kopitar that the Oilers are paying for Connor McDavidand Leon Draisaitl.”

That’s the cost of winning. 11 & 8 each have two Cups. While not totally their fault, Connor and Leon have ZERO. So EDM has to pay up without winning anything. There are many teams like that: TOR, SJ & VAN come to mind. How many championships have they won in the last 40 years? NONE

We do not have cap issues and some of these contracts will be coming off the books in the next year or two. I’m not sure why the writer was bringing up cap issues.

Also the thread title states the article was from NBC Sports, but this is from Yahoo Sports.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
“It’s sobering that the Kings are allotting the same amount of cap space ($21 million, per Cap Friendly) for Drew Doughty and Anze Kopitar that the Oilers are paying for Connor McDavidand Leon Draisaitl.”

That’s the cost of winning. 11 & 8 each have two Cups. While not totally their fault, Connor and Leon have ZERO. So EDM has to pay up without winning anything. There are many teams like that: TOR, SJ & VAN come to mind. How many championships have they won in the last 40 years? NONE

We do not have cap issues and some of these contracts will be coming off the books in the next year or two. I’m not sure why the writer was bringing up cap issues.

Also the thread title states the article was from NBC Sports, but this is from Yahoo Sports.
It's from NBC Sports . The logo is hard to see, but it is 100% there

upload_2021-9-22_12-37-58.png

Reactions: Sleeping Dog

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The writer, frankly, is an idiot.

Connor and Leon don't have UFA contracts signed. Make them UFAs right now and tell me they'll still be at a $21 mill cap hit. Comparing apples to battleships.

And if Drew Doughty's contract is the league worst, then that must mean a lot of players are out of the league all of a sudden, starting with Erik Karlsson. Hell, it's not even the worst on the team. that now belongs to our $5.8 mill back up.

Reactions: cyclones22

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I prefer being the underdog anyway. Yes, yes, Kopitar and Doughty are huge problems... yes, yes, there's no way we'll make the playoffs... see y'all in May! I have high hopes this season :D I'd love another Cinderalla run!

While these guys are crazy, and I share a lot of the optimism about this season, it's going to all come down to the new additions and our prospects. Sure, the team is a little better, but if prospects don't step up and start making an impact (not just the team) then we probably won't be THAT far off from where we were last season...

Reactions: Lt Dan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad