Kings Article: Los Angeles Kings — All Things History Thread

Ron*

Found this amazing article on the Internet while searching for graphics for the Boston game. It's a little hard to read, and I couldn't find an clear text update on the Internet.
LqdZgn.png

EDIT: Uploaded a much better image.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Mittens*

Steve Harvey's done it all; sitcoms, stand up, Family Feud, and the Herald-Examiner.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
A Spanish sounding name would've been awkward for a hockey team.

Thanks for the article Ron, love reading up on the history of the organization, especially the colorful JKC era.

Ron*

Well, this article find definitely debunks the story I had heard about the origin of the team name. I remember hearing that the inspiration for the team name was Hollywood Park, which was right next to the new Forum, where "the Sport of Kings" was held (horse racing).

Well, obviously that was nonsense. I never would have guessed the team name came from a contest.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Great story. Pretty awesome that the Kings gave the guy a couple season tickets too.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I think I read in Bob Miller's book that Cooke was always going to name the team the Kings. But I MIGHT be making that up. Jack Kent Cooke was bat **** crazy. So that would be the least of the surprising things he did. :laugh:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Ron, nice find. I always like to read about how a franchise came to be. Always been fascinated with the original NHL expansion and the stories on how that came to be.

Nice pic of the forum under construction back in the day.

construction.jpg

Captain Mittens*

Great story. Pretty awesome that the Kings gave the guy a couple season tickets too.

The AM/FM transistor radio was the real prize. That was back when radio ruled thre world

Ron*

The AM/FM transistor radio was the real prize. That was back when radio ruled thre world

He needed the radio because Kings home games were not shown on Prime Ticket for another 17 years (1984 as I recollect).

Ron*

Ron, nice find. I always like to read about how a franchise came to be. Always been fascinated with the original NHL expansion and the stories on how that came to be.

Nice pic of the forum under construction back in the day.

construction.jpg

Another great find...I had no idea they built the outside column structure first.

Makes sense tho, when you think about it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I remember watching the Kings 25th anniversary video from the 91-92 season having tons of info on the history of the team. Apparently it was Cooke's idea to attach some type of nickname with his players, and that's how they wound up with Eddie "The Jet" Joyal, Bill "Cowboy" Flett, and Juha "Whitey" Widing.

This was all well before my time since I was born in the 80s but I can't get enough info on Kings history.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I thought this was pretty cool. The '67 expansion draft team sheets. Probably used by one of the clubs at the time to keep track of the draft as it transpired.

384.jpg

Ron*

I remember watching the Kings 25th anniversary video from the 91-92 season having tons of info on the history of the team. Apparently it was Cooke's idea to attach some type of nickname with his players, and that's how they wound up with Eddie "The Jet" Joyal, Bill "Cowboy" Flett, and Juha "Whitey" Widing.

This was all well before my time since I was born in the 80s but I can't get enough info on Kings history.

You are exactly right. I don't believe any of those players had nicknames before coming to L.A. :laugh:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Another nice photo from back in the day. Jack Kent Cooke.

Sorry Ron, I hijacked your thread a bit. Just thought these photos were cool.

hi-res-2723bcfc89c1fad5242c9fc7769325d0_crop_north.jpg

forum.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad