Loose-Leafs #10: We Need a Whole Lot of Nothing. It Will Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Loose-Leafs

Per request of people - continuing to do Loose-Leafs. (y'all better comment - shake fist). I also, officially joined twitter, and I have no.clue. what to do. In fact... I already forgot my twitter handle :facepalm: so I might as well write this :thumbu:

Toronto Maple Leafs At A Glance
depending on the outcome of tomorrow's game against Boston:

30 games played: 16-11-3 - good for 35 points, and holding onto the 2nd wildcard spot. I refuse to assume who the merry crap we'd be facing in the playoffs. I'd assume Boston? (they are third in the conference and we are 6th - but that's not the case right? No clue - and even though someone will be nice and explain it to me - I'll simply forget again).

Goals per Game: 16th :cry:
Goals against: 16th :cry:
Powerplay: 3rd! YAY!
Penaltykill: 24th (oh good grief).

Addressing the Whinging:
Okay. I really should get out of the habit of writing the Loose-Leafs during the day, because when I do - things tend to go wrong, wrong wrong. However - I will defend this man:

clarkson-130922-620-thumb-620xauto-331575.jpg

as much as I can because I don't think he is as bad as everyone is making him out to be - but he's really not that good (right now) either. But in seriously, the constant harping and stone flinging about this is driving me up a wall. [and boy - Clarkson doesn't make it easy for me some nights].

But I think he will work out. In fact, I know that he will. But boy, has he reached the Upper Limits of Kostka Hate already. And he's here. He's not going to be bought out unless he sucks horrendously (which he doesn't). so accept it and move on. Come over and have pie, I made some.

I have also had it up to here, here I tell you - with having to read pages upon pages about how much our team sucks. We don't. The team is frustrating, the team has its issues, but we don't suck. We've seen plenty of Leafs teams that sucked - this team is going through a lot of growing pains right now. But what is it?

And the argument I always get is "Daisy - why are you/why should we be optimistic because "List of reasons why we shouldn't goes here."

this is why

because this is the Toronto Maple Leafs, and this is my team. The end. I will cheer them on, I will get frustrated in game - if they break my heart I will cry, but I will always try to find something to be positive about (unless they do what they did against Columbus. then I will rage). But Holy Moses... y'all are so freaking talented at bringing a girl down (or causing her to lose her lid). I get it. I really do - it might actually shock the snot out of you if I told you - I'm not generally the most optimistic person in the world. Why the heck do I shine all of that on the Leafs though? Because they are my freaking team. I'd be this optimistic if the Leafs were in the same situation as Buffalo. (okay - I wouldn't be "ooh, we're going to win!!) all the time - but I'd be optimistic for the future.

We're still very young - there is still a lot of nasty habits that the team has developed from the Wilson years (and again a big part of it is how we are built winger in - not centre out) and we still need to make strides to not be a team that could potentially make the playoffs - but become that team that can be considered a Cup Contender.

and I just don't understand the mental energy of watching the team and specifically looking for reasons to be miserable, and bemoan. I don't. If watching the team stressed me out that much, I'd find another team. Like Pittsburgh. Or Ottawa. or whatever.

The Nonis Watch:

turtle4.jpg

Nonis waiting for the right moment to strike...​

Nonis had said several times that he doesn't want to take assets that the team (finally) has and trade them for 35+ year old men. (Oh.. Owen Nolan... Brian Leetch... what could have been, if you know - you weren't freaking old!). And I'm good with that. I don't want him to.

But this summer, I'd really like it if he could sign one or two.

Our core is set and it is young - but now we need to start surrounding them with older, efficent supplemental players. I do believe Bolland was one of those guys - and Clarkson too - but we need a Whitney. Or we need someone like:

roberts_gary640.jpg

Just someone when the team is spiraling to just speak up and go "Look. yes. it sucks - we're freaking out, but we've got this.Someone like a Whitney or Jagr... someone who when it looks like things are down and out - I want that guy to be smirking on the bench, thinking: we've totally got this. Then go out and "get this." I think this would really help more of the third period breakdowns.

Ideally - I'd want one of those on defense too.

Creating Nothings from our Somethings

Colton-Orr-300x336.jpg
leafs1-473x315.jpg

I like them - I truly do - but - I think we need to take them away. I feel that we're physical enough without them, and they are showing that without the team culture being "We Will Beat You Down. Constantly." they are not finding a place here. [also: this will save the team almost what? Almost 1.5 million in Cap?] (I will point out - I did write this before the Ottawa game, and McLaren did beat up Neil - beautiful thing - but I also do think it doesn't affect my point).

We know what we have when we have everybody here

JVR-Bozak or Kadri - Kessel
Lupul - Bozak or Kadri or Bolland - Clarkson

Kulemin - Bolland - Raymond

but I want to address our 4th line.

It would ideally be something like

McClement - Smith or Holland - <<insert rookie here>>

I think Smith has really shown what it takes to be part of this team, and I'd like him to stay. McClement playing 4th line winger minutes can shut down the crap-load of minutes he's playing ES, and we unleash him for the PK.

But I'd like to have a Nothing Line where Randy can toss out the line and nothing happens. Either we don't score, but they don't score. No penalties being drawn, zilch. Ideally - you want your Nothing Line to be awesome and have an average of 12 goals and maybe 25ish assists (so 4goals/5 assists to a man)

I also think this will help the Leafs in the long run, and maybe implement a cycle-rush hybrid that we had last year because it could work like this:

Kessel & Kadri's lines: rush.

Bolland line rush/cycle

Nothing Line: cycle.

I don't even think that's complicating anything here because if you look at it: that's generally what we're doing regardless.

Kessel Line: breaks up the play, and goes on the rush.

for the most part: Lupul/Kadri line rush, but Lupul will cycle that damn puck on his own if he needs to :laugh:

Bolland was able to implement both (miss him! :cry:) and Raymond looked the most effective with him.

McClement can do the cycle (and the rush) and Smith is showing that he can too, as well as D'Amigo. (like this kid). think that would be for the best, we promote from within and it helps our cap-space a bit because Smith can still bounce back and forth, I'm assuming, D'Amigo/Carter can bounce back and forth, and they are all affordable.

and we're still physical, and potentially pot in some goals. Win!

Or as Don would Say.... Beauty!

doncherry_471.jpg

[Kulemin is my forward wild card. I don't think he's going to stay if we had to choose between Raymond and him - it's just a feeling I have]. And that's where we'll probably see someone move up from Marlie-land if we don't sign someone this summer.

Welcome to the Big Leagues!

453832547_29391369-e1386293308843.jpg

I really, really like this kid. I get that it is only two games, and he's probably going to head right back down the minute we get a modicum of health back in our line up - but I think he's doing all the little things. I don't "notice" him - which means he's not doing stupid things. He drew a penalty against Ottawa :)thumbu:) and he looks speedy. I want good things to happen for him.

picard_make_it_so_number_1_display.jpg

On the Shelf

Tyler Bozak: Oblique strain went on it Thursday the 5th, so that's 10 games, or 24 days (so we probably won't see him until the Winter Classic, probably).

Dave Bolland: lacerated ankle tendon - gone forever until he's healthy (apparently he can start skating in the next few weeks! yay!)

Joffrey Lupul - day to day now with grade 2 groin pull.

Contract News

on Hotstove for those who missed it - Newsport (Dion's agency) will be meeting with Nonis to hash some stuff re: Dion's contract.

Nothing else to report re: McClement's extension, and Bolland's extension

Player of the Week

this is a weird week because we're playing Sunday - but I don't think this will change. I've got to give it to this guy right here:

1297492710492_ORIGINAL.jpg

He was the bright spot of November - and if I had done a little more research - I would have actually named him the Player of the Month, because - this guy right here: highest point producer! And some game winning goals! Go him! Like D'Amigo - this guy is putting all he's got into every shift - which I love. I really hope he can some how be a permanent fixture on the team (which I think he SHOULD), and let the chips fall as they may.

Congrats oh scruffed one - on being the player of the week

Honourable Mentions go to our 100 shot goaltenders Bernier/Reimer (but this is simply a given now).

Leafs at a Glance

Let me just pull up the schedule right now....

Oh.
Oh..
So.. Yes. This is where we pray, very, very hard, that the Leafs can manage to get some points. (see - this is where the 50 shots a game were coming in handy because I really don't see how this weeks opponents won't get minimum 50 shots).

I also do believe - we do rise to the occasion. I believe we can beat LA. I think we an get a point against the Hawks - it's the Blues that are scaring me.

Wednesday, Dec 11th
:kings @ :leafs - 7:30est start, TSN - Game Day Thread by Thanier21

Thursday, Dec 12th
:leafs @ :blues - 8:00est start , Leafs TV - GDT Available

Saturday, Dec 14th
:hawks @ :leafs - 7:00 start, HNIC - GDT by RaskY

Sunday, Dec 15th
HBO 24/7 Starts! Don't forget! :)
(how in the world did HBO decide "yes - let's SKIP the Ottawa/Leafs game and follow Detroit and Florida. That makes sense! :shakehead)

See you Next Week!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We'd play Pittsburgh. We're the #2 WC atm so we'd play the Top Division winner or the best team in the conference. That's Pittsburgh atm, them and Montreal have 41 points in 31 games but Pittsburgh has the tiebreak on 1 more ROW

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
McLaren's face looks really weird in that picture, there' like nothing to his jaw there :laugh:

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Such optimism.

To quote my LLKL signature, which quotes a redditor:

"a part of me is still sitting on that couch, in front of that tv, in disbelief. i tell people ive moved on but really, i can't. not until they make up for it." - openicehit

Bet we lose those 3 games. I don't think we'll have more than 15 shots against the Kings.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
We'd play Pittsburgh. We're the #2 WC atm so we'd play the Top Division winner or the best team in the conference. That's Pittsburgh atm, them and Montreal have 41 points in 31 games but Pittsburgh has the tiebreak on 1 more ROW

This format potentially screws the top team of playing against a true 8 seed (according to points in standings).

I wish they had the three automatic and the two wildcard but only the winner of each division gets the automatic 1/2 spot and everything else falls according to the points (so an automatic spot can still place 8th if they have less points than the other 5 automatic spots and wildcard spots). I also find it strange that the NHL doesn't have their standings that accurately rank the wildcard spot. The NHL shows Tampa and Toronto are 5/6 in the standings. However, both are in wildcard spots and for the purpose of playoff seeding, we're actually 7/8 so why not just show that in the conference standings?

With that out of the way - great post as usual Daisy. Our goal scoring has really dried up but losing the amount of forwards we have it's understandable...which is why this team needs to find a way to be better defensively. Our top 6 is getting no help outside of Trevor Smith and Clarkson has been offensively useless IN the top 6. I agree, he makes it hard sometimes but I'm not sour on the guy like many here are. Unlike others, when I'm watching the game on the ice, I'm not measuring performances alongside contract values. Clarkson is having some bad luck. He's had some awesome chances that he's failed to convert. For the sake of Kessel, JVR, Kadri and Raymond I hope he and the others on the team find some scoring touch because with Bolland out for a while and Lupul being unreliable with his constant injuries, the scoring needs to come from somewhere....and our goalies could really use the cushion at the rate the Leafs defense hangs them out to dry for goals against.

I really hope Nonis is working the phones for a #2...we really need it.

I also agree about our Orr/McLaren issue. They were brought in to fulfil certain roles. Neither are really doing that that much this year but beyond that, we have players available to us that can bring the physicality and grit (and can fight) but are better hockey players - why aren't we using them? It's not like Orr or McLaren has made it hard to take them out of the lineup. They've been pretty useless. D'Amigo, Ashton, Bodie, Broll...all legitimate options that should be given a shot.

I was stoked for D'Amigo's call up and I'm even happier to see how he's playing. He doesn't look out of place out there and that's the best compliment I can give a guy who's playing his 2nd NHL game in his career. He's earning more ice time as well because he's been pretty good with the puck using his speed and protecting the puck. At this rate, I hope he sticks.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Honestly I'm not surprised HBO skipped the Sens game and will probably follow along during our more...difficult trials. After all negativity sells like hotcakes and if the Leafs struggle this week that will get way more views from everyone that hates the Leafs than this Sens game would have :laugh:.

Another great post to be sure.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
thanks you guys! :) it really does mean a lot to know people are actually reading them (and then comment, so i know it's not just "oh - I opened the link"). Cyris convinced me to keep doing it :) but it's really cool that you guys do enjoy these too!

Canada4Gold - thanks. but that's what was throwing me off, (HockeyCrazed hit the nail on the head) if you go through conference view - we're what? 6th? but we're not 6th... we're...

Only the NHL could make playoff watching complicated.

FlareKnight - lol this is true.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I knew people read them Daisy keep them up.
With as negative and grouchy as this place can get it is nice to see some eternal optimism.

I think our biggest need right now is a top 4 solid defensive Dman. Dion and Gunnar are the only top 4 guys we have and Gardiner is kind of a 4/5 guy right now. Giving Gardiner a solid partner would mean we had 2 solid defensive pairings and should help with at some of the teams defensive problems.
Outside of Phaneuf and Gunnar, Gardiner has been our best D imo but he isnt ready right now to be a #3 and anchor a defensive pairing with a weak partner while playing heavy minutes.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I knew people read them Daisy keep them up.
With as negative and grouchy as this place can get it is nice to see some eternal optimism.

I think our biggest need right now is a top 4 solid defensive Dman. Dion and Gunnar are the only top 4 guys we have and Gardiner is kind of a 4/5 guy right now. Giving Gardiner a solid partner would mean we had 2 solid defensive pairings and should help with at some of the teams defensive problems.
Outside of Phaneuf and Gunnar, Gardiner has been our best D imo but he isnt ready right now to be a #3 and anchor a defensive pairing with a weak partner while playing heavy minutes.

Thanks, Cyris :) I shall do that :thumbu:

I think that is the issue. Even when we are 100 percent healthy, we've got top line pair, and then a sheer drop off. Hughson and Simpson hit the nail on the head esp. on the PK: the minute Phaneuf and Gunnarson step off the ice - everything goes to chance - and usually in to the back of our net.

You could SPLIT Gunnar and Dion right now, but you are right - Gardiner's Jekll & Hyde routine is very much a fact that he's still young and developing and can't handle it. Franson's defensive game has utterly left the building...

I don't even have a suggestion on what to do, except maybe play Liles with Gunnarson? but who gets the #2 seed because Gards can't handle it, and I wouldnt throw throw Rielly to the wolves there either.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Thanks, Cyris :) I shall do that :thumbu:

I think that is the issue. Even when we are 100 percent healthy, we've got top line pair, and then a sheer drop off. Hughson and Simpson hit the nail on the head esp. on the PK: the minute Phaneuf and Gunnarson step off the ice - everything goes to chance - and usually in to the back of our net.

You could SPLIT Gunnar and Dion right now, but you are right - Gardiner's Jekll & Hyde routine is very much a fact that he's still young and developing and can't handle it. Franson's defensive game has utterly left the building...

I don't even have a suggestion on what to do, except maybe play Liles with Gunnarson? but who gets the #2 seed because Gards can't handle it, and I wouldnt throw throw Rielly to the wolves there either.
These threads are kinda like our weekly and monthly state of the union.

I really dont know. Like you said Gardiner and Rielly arent ready and the team need to be mindful of their development. Ranger hasnt been as bad as everyone makes him out to be but I dont want him anywhere near the top pairing. Fraser and Franson belong on the bottom pairing right now.

Maybe
Phaneuf - Liles
Gunnar - Gardiner
But even that is a risk because you are breaking up the only thing that is really working on the back end.
I will never understand why there is a large number of Leaf fans that always include Gunnarson in trade proposals and don't include him in the teams long term plans. He wont put up points or throw big hits but he excels at what should be the number 1 job of any Dman, keeping the puck out of his own net. How can anyone look at our back end and think he is one of the problems.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
These threads are kinda like our weekly and monthly state of the union.

I really dont know. Like you said Gardiner and Rielly arent ready and the team need to be mindful of their development. Ranger hasnt been as bad as everyone makes him out to be but I dont want him anywhere near the top pairing. Fraser and Franson belong on the bottom pairing right now.

Maybe
Phaneuf - Liles
Gunnar - Gardiner
But even that is a risk because you are breaking up the only thing that is really working on the back end.
I will never understand why there is a large number of Leaf fans that always include Gunnarson in trade proposals and don't include him in the teams long term plans. He wont put up points or throw big hits but he excels at what should be the number 1 job of any Dman, keeping the puck out of his own net. How can anyone look at our back end and think he is one of the problems.

hence - the problem.

I don't think Kulikov (that guy from i want to say... Florida?) is the answer there, esp if rumours are that he'll go to the KHL. We can't sign anyone FROM the KHL because they'd have to clear waivers I heard on the Steve Dangle podcast.

People were saying Liles for Gleason - but in all honesty - I don't think Gleason is necessarily the answer - but this is where I have to defer to others who get to watch way more games than I do - I don't know how the guy plays.

I don't want to trade Gardiner, We won't get near as much return on Franson unless there is a severely struggling powerplay out there but then we'd have to employ some serious Jedi Mindtrick to convince someone to give us back someone totally necessary back.

Ranger CAN'T be moved due to his NMC etc [and you are right - he's not necessarily the problem - but he's not very much part of the solution either].

and truthfully - anyone who has eyes can see that Fraser is playing hurt (or that brace is seriously impeding his play - either way, he shouldn't be playing but he is: problem).

this is where - once again, I wish we had a luxury tax. because the only thing I can think of is that we literally have to buy our way out of this, and we can't.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
hence - the problem.

I don't think Kulikov (that guy from i want to say... Florida?) is the answer there, esp if rumours are that he'll go to the KHL. We can't sign anyone FROM the KHL because they'd have to clear waivers I heard on the Steve Dangle podcast.

People were saying Liles for Gleason - but in all honesty - I don't think Gleason is necessarily the answer - but this is where I have to defer to others who get to watch way more games than I do - I don't know how the guy plays.

I don't want to trade Gardiner, We won't get near as much return on Franson unless there is a severely struggling powerplay out there but then we'd have to employ some serious Jedi Mindtrick to convince someone to give us back someone totally necessary back.

Ranger CAN'T be moved due to his NMC etc [and you are right - he's not necessarily the problem - but he's not very much part of the solution either].

and truthfully - anyone who has eyes can see that Fraser is playing hurt (or that brace is seriously impeding his play - either way, he shouldn't be playing but he is: problem).

this is where - once again, I wish we had a luxury tax. because the only thing I can think of is that we literally have to buy our way out of this, and we can't.

I like Kulikov, I think he is going to be a very good player. But you are right trading for a guy who is unhappy and could go to the KHL is scary so I wouldnt pay much for him. Also as a young developing D with consistency issues he brings a lot of the same problems we already have.

Gleason for Liles is a trade I would make. Not because it would solve a ton of problems but its trading a guy who isnt going to play here much for a guy who will. Gleason is in a similar situation to Liles. Bad contract and on the wrong side of 30 so he is on the down swing not up. Falling out of favour with his current team but still a serviceable NHL Dman. It is trading a offensive guy for a defensive guy because that is what the 2 teams need.
What makes it scary is Gleason is a bit more expensive but I think they have the same contract term.

Other than those 2 I don't really know who is available out there. Girardi would cost a fair bit to acquire. Maybe the Leafs could sign him in the summer but that doesnt help our problems now.
2 guys I would have been interested in as cheap temporary solutions were Robodias and Orpik but now both of them are hurt.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
hmm.
it makes me wonder if it would be worth just calling up one our defensive rookies... at least SEE how they handle it? (like Grannberg?)

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
hmm.
it makes me wonder if it would be worth just calling up one our defensive rookies... at least SEE how they handle it? (like Grannberg?)

We have a few guys I wouldn't mind seeing get a chance like Grannberg, Percy and MacWilliam. But again guys who wont be ready for big minutes and you shouldn't throw to the wolves. And with 8 Dman currently in the NHL you probably gotta move 1 before calling someone else up.

If anything what this shows us is that being an NHL GM is not quite as easy as many HF GMs seem to think it is.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad