Speculation: loophole Canucks should utilize for Expansion draft

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Pretty much. The expansion isn't an issue for the Canucks, it's not even worth talking about.

By the time this thing rolls around, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Dorsett as the guy who ends up going. Veteran guy who is well-liked in the room and teammates respect him. He's exactly the type of guy who you want on an expansion team in Vegas, and the fact he's overpaid by a little bit is fairly irrelevant to a new team.

Well depending on what Benning does at least. If he manages to sign to UFA forwards that require protection, and doesn't trade anyone away, then either Hansen or Baerstchi will pop out of the protection list. This also doesn't account for guys like Rodin or Gaunce who could have good years.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
3.6M Sbisa who's still "young" may be attractive to Vegas cause they also have to reach the Cap Floor. They can't just poach Gaunces Granlunds and Pedans.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
3.6M Sbisa who's still "young" may be attractive to Vegas cause they also have to reach the Cap Floor. They can't just poach Gaunces Granlunds and Pedans.

I wouldn't count on that, Vegas shouldn't have any problems reaching the cap floor. Other teams will have better vets than Sbisa to take, and if they don't finish the draft at the cap floor there should be plenty of teams lining up to dump unwanted contracts. Rather than taking Sbisa, take Gaunce from the Canuck instead, and do a trade like Andrew MacDonald + PHI 1st for future considerations.

Actually considering they will start by taking 30 players, 1 from each team, and the rules of the expansion draft that exempt most prospects, it will probably be harder for them to find enough good waiver exempt players than enough veterans to hit the floor.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
No not to protect Granlund. Like I said we will likely have 15 forwards competing for NHL spots next season. 13 under contract already, an incoming UFA signing, and the #5 overall pick. Theres a strong chance going into the season that Granlund will not be eligible because he needs 23 games played this season to qualify for the 40/70 rule.

So these signings is to give us a back up plan to MAKE SURE we have 2 forwards who meet the 40/70 requirement that would go unprotected.

Granlund will be on the NHL roster. They traded a good prospect for him and re-signed him to a multi year extension; he's going to get at least 23 games in next season which will make him eligible to be the 2nd forward under the 40/70 rule.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Vegas has to hit 60% of the salary cap... shouldn't be a problem when they are drafting 30 players...

That's an average of 1.4ish mil a player to hit 60% of the cap.. easily will hit that...
They'll pick up a couple Methot types and Backlund types along the way...

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I already have Dorsett being exposed, we still need one more to be exposed that fits the 40/70 rule.

Or the Canucks are forced to keep Granlund as a 13/14 forward and get him into a minimum of 23 games.

Vegas can only poach 1 guy from the Nucks which will likely be Dorsett.

Vey played 75 games and 41 games in the last 2 season. He was traded for a 2nd - Benning just dealt a former 1st for Granlund - he'll get his games too.

Nucks will either lose an overpaid 4RW or a mediocre 4C, no big deal.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well depending on what Benning does at least. If he manages to sign to UFA forwards that require protection, and doesn't trade anyone away, then either Hansen or Baerstchi will pop out of the protection list. This also doesn't account for guys like Rodin or Gaunce who could have good years.

Sutter should be exposed long before Hansen or Baertschi. Hell I'd rather protect Rodin and Gaunce over Sutter.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
He's bad because he was injured last year?

He is not bad, but overpaid 3C. If we could find a decent guy to hold the spot while our prospects improve, that made I don't know like 1.9 mil, I would take him in a heart beat and pay assets for him.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
He is not bad, but overpaid 3C. If we could find a decent guy to hold the spot while our prospects improve, that made I don't know like 1.9 mil, I would take him in a heart beat and pay assets for him.

477496146-brad-richards-of-the-chicago-blackhawks-gettyimages.jpg

:sarcasm:

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
I like that this is happening when the Canucks roster is this poor. Would suck to be a deep, competitive team and lose a valuable piece.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
This joke flew over my head. I don't remember who got claimed in the 2000 expansion but Leif was in Europe at the time?

i don't even remember the specifics anymore, but for almost a decade after he left the canucks kept him on their paper list so they could leave him unprotected for all manners of waiver and expansion drafts.

edit: actually now that i google it, i think i had it backwards. they protected him even though he was long gone so that when they picked someone up in the waiver and/or dispersal drafts, they had someone to unprotect. i still don't think i really understand the strategic value there, but hey it was brian burke.

Last edited:

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I remember when they finally convinced Rohlin to come over like 7 years after they drafted him.

I remember him being just brutal, but I looked it up and he did manage 22 points in 56 games in 95/96.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I remember when they finally convinced Rohlin to come over like 7 years after they drafted him.

I remember him being just brutal, but I looked it up and he did manage 22 points in 56 games in 95/96.

I actually thought he was pretty decent.

Was really soft for mid-1990s hockey and just not a Rick Ley/Pat Quinn-style defender, but would be the sort of player who would be much more successful today.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I actually thought he was pretty decent.

Was really soft for mid-1990s hockey and just not a Rick Ley/Pat Quinn-style defender, but would be the sort of player who would be much more successful today.

Yeah, perhaps I'm mis-rembering. Looking back, his numbers look pretty decent.

I do remember liking Rohlin more than Adrian Aucoin, who came in at around the same time. Aucoin obviously developed into a very capable defenseman here, but had his struggles early, IIRC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad