Looks like it might be the end of the road for Micheal Ferland

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Concussions are coming very easy to him now. I believe this is his fifth one and his fourth in the last three years: 2018 playing for Carolina, twice in 2019 for the Canucks and now again tonight in Utica. And as far as I know he wasn't even injured tonight. He just started suffering "concussion-like symptoms."

I hope he takes care of himself, first and foremost.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Plenty of terrific highlights from that first playoff series against Vancouver. He can retire and look back fondly at a respectable career.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Plenty of terrific highlights from that first playoff series against Vancouver. He can retire and look back fondly at a respectable career.

Unfortunately that playstyle (which was fun as hell yo watch) led to his demise, impossible to sustain a careee playing with such reckless abandon

Best to him in future health and life

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
It is sad, he went through a lot even if he has to retire he has made good money. He came from a poor family with a single mom.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t understand why this is the end? He had a headache so he left the game, which is pretty standard when trying to come back from these things. Maybe he IS done but we have no reason to think that based off of this? AHL can be more violent than the NHL, of course they’re going to be cautious. He could go back to the Nucks and play without getting back into another AHL game. He has a four year contract. I highly doubt they’re going to rush anything since they’re going to be paying anyways.

Seems a little premature.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
I don’t understand why this is the end? He had a headache so he left the game, which is pretty standard when trying to come back from these things. Maybe he IS done but we have no reason to think that based off of this? AHL can be more violent than the NHL, of course they’re going to be cautious. He could go back to the Nucks and play without getting back into another AHL game. He has a four year contract. I highly doubt they’re going to rush anything since they’re going to be paying anyways.

Seems a little premature.

If you had a family member that’s had multiple concussions in a short time frame, the latest being non contact what would your recommendation be?
At the very least he should sit out for a full year and re-assess the situation, but in all likelihood this is it.

As we’ve seen in football, having multiple concussions in a short time frame is devastating, and increases your likelihood of getting another.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
If you had a family member that’s had multiple concussions in a short time frame, the latest being non contact what would your recommendation be?
At the very least he should sit out for a full year and re-assess the situation, but in all likelihood this is it.

As we’ve seen in football, having multiple concussions in a short time frame is devastating, and increases your likelihood of getting another.

You are reporting that he sustained a concussion.. when the actual report said he had symptoms

They are different things

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
You are reporting that he sustained a concussion.. when the actual report said he had symptoms

They are different things
You know what causes concussion symptoms? Having a concussion. Whether he sustained a new one or is still having lasting effects from a previous one that he thought he was recovered from, both scenarios are bad.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You know what causes concussion symptoms? Having a concussion. Whether he sustained a new one or is still having lasting effects from a previous one that he thought he was recovered from, both scenarios are bad.

You're right, concussions do cause symptoms like headaches, dizziness, and nausea. You know what else does? Not eating enough. Not sleeping enough. Food poisoning. The flu. Pregnancy.

I could go on, but the point is that while, yes, it's likely concussion-related due to his history, having concussion-like symptoms doesn't necessarily mean you have a concussion.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Serious concussions take a while to recover from. Hopefully Ferland wasn't trying to rush anything . Probably smarter to shut it down for the year and see how things develop over the summer and how he feels in training camp. He's still under contract for 3 more years so that gives him a decent amount of security so he can progress slowly without the needs to try and earn a contract somewhere.

Stars fans all thought Stephen Johns was done after missing nearly 2 years . Turns out we where wrong about that .

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Unfortunately that playstyle (which was fun as hell yo watch) led to his demise, impossible to sustain a careee playing with such reckless abandon

Best to him in future health and life

Became a legend in Calgary that series.

Sucks for Ferland, really was a hell of a hockey player when he was on. Huge, fast, good shot and decent hands. Can't say I didn't see this coming though, he's racked up some really hard miles. Hope he can get healthy and stay that way, whether playing hockey or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad