Looking Forward to the offseason

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
With the way this season is going, I will assume that most can't wait till late june and the start of the draft.

Putting yourself in hollands shoes come draft night and for the sake of this post, let's say the wings landed the 4th pick

avs take Patrick 1st
Hischier goes 2nd and Vilardi 3rd

Who is holland going to take with that 4th pick ?
I don't think he will take Liljegren because it will take to long to develop him and he still believes in winning now.

So what does he do ?

Tippet ? Mittelstadt ? Trade down for more picks ?

Next question is do you think he will make a good free agent signing ?

who is available ?

Not sure how much cap we will have to even make a decent splash.

Just a little concerned with what the future holds and was hoping to read some insight.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Looking forward to the trade deadline even more. What we do then will heavily influence what kind of offseason we'll have.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
With the way this season is going, I will assume that most can't wait till late june and the start of the draft.

Putting yourself in hollands shoes come draft night and for the sake of this post, let's say the wings landed the 4th pick

avs take Patrick 1st
Hischier goes 2nd and Vilardi 3rd

Who is holland going to take with that 4th pick ?
I don't think he will take Liljegren because it will take to long to develop him and he still believes in winning now.

So what does he do ?

Tippet ? Mittelstadt ? Trade down for more picks ?

Next question is do you think he will make a good free agent signing ?

who is available ?

Not sure how much cap we will have to even make a decent splash.

Just a little concerned with what the future holds and was hoping to read some insight.

I'm positive Holland will choose the best player available.

I'm confident as long as the team continues to lose (status quo from now until draft day) he's realizing winning now is no longer possible.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I think we need to trade Thomas Vanek and Brendan Smith. Steve Ott has little value. I've been busier in life than ever, so I really don't know much about this draft other than Patrick. Draft is fairly week, yeah?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think we need to trade Thomas Vanek and Brendan Smith. Steve Ott has little value. I've been busier in life than ever, so I really don't know much about this draft other than Patrick. Draft is fairly week, yeah?

The way we're trending we may have a legit shot at Liljegren. Gotta move Green before the start of next season to improve our odds of getting Dahlin in the following draft.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
Would love to get good value for green, but most members on this board would think it would be a better play to wait till next season where he will hold more value ??

And i would love to draft Liljegren, but how long will that development be ?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The way we're trending we may have a legit shot at Liljegren. Gotta move Green before the start of next season to improve our odds of getting Dahlin in the following draft.

If we could snag Patrick/Hischier and then Dahlin we could have our future 1C and 1D just like that.

To be a contender we would need at least one of Mantha, AA, Larkin or Svech to develop as top liner

Hronek could be a real important piece too, because just Dahlin ain't enough

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If we could snag Patrick/Hischier and then Dahlin we could have our future 1C and 1D just like that.

To be a contender we would need at least one of Mantha, AA, Larkin or Svech to develop as top liner

Hronek could be a real important piece too, because just Dahlin ain't enough

I don't think we finish ahead of Colorado or Phoenix in the lottery. So if Colorado wins they probably take Patrick. Phoenix doesn't need defense so they probably take Hirschier. That leaves us Liljegren as our 1st pairing RD. Dahlin becomes our #1 LD and you put Hronek on the second pairing.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Thinking of this in a different light (and, in advance, sorry, I know this is too soon), I think the philosophy of the ownership group is going to change. I believe the Wings will be viewed more as a business by the Ilitch heirs, and I think there will be changes coming. I would not be surprised at all if the Wings open the next season with a different GM and coach.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thinking of this in a different light (and, in advance, sorry, I know this is too soon), I think the philosophy of the ownership group is going to change. I believe the Wings will be viewed more as a business by the Ilitch heirs, and I think there will be changes coming. I would not be surprised at all if the Wings open the next season with a different GM and coach.

Chris Ilitch was an all-state hockey player. I doubt he isn't extremely passionate about the game. If you're worried about one of the teams changing under Chris, in my opinion it would be baseball. But again the pull will still be there for him to win it for dad.

We will see, but Mike Ilitch hasn't been in control for a little bit. They seem to be operating the same way somewhat. The Ilitch family continues to gain up the value list so the bulk of companies and interests seem to be gaining in wealth. I get fear that it might happen, but I think Chris Ilitch cares a great deal for these teams and the city as well. He is Mike Ilitch's kid after all.

Unless Holland voluntarily leaves, he will at the least see out his contract in my opinion. He has earned that right and I doubt Chris Ilitch doesn't trust a guy he has known virtually his entire adult life.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't think we finish ahead of Colorado or Phoenix in the lottery. So if Colorado wins they probably take Patrick. Phoenix doesn't need defense so they probably take Hirschier. That leaves us Liljegren as our 1st pairing RD. Dahlin becomes our #1 LD and you put Hronek on the second pairing.
http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

It's less cut and dry than you might think. Vegas and whoever finishes in 28th still stand a great chance at #1, and it tapers down slowly from there.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Seems like it doesn't happen often that the team with the worst record gets the first pick...if the Wings finish atleast with the same odds as Vegas we should be in a good spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad