Looking back at the Vinny signing in 2013

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vinnie is the reason Hextall traded Hartnell:

1) he had to move a contract with Vinnie and MacDonald's contracts eating $9+M for 4 more years.
2) Vinnie was an object lesson why he didn't want the out years on Hartnell's contract, Hextall knew the Flyers weren't competing for a couple seasons, but when they turned it around, he wanted the veteran salaries cleared out.

Umberger being hurt didn't help, but Hextall was more focused on 2017-18 when he made that deal, when Hartnell had 3 years left and Umberger could be cleared off the books. At that point MacDonald has 3 years/$15M and is tradeable if he doesn't tank, and Vinnie will be easy to buy out if he hasn't retired.

canada14

Feb 13, 2015
I don't see any way he gets moved, too bad of a contract and he doesn't produce. Maybe he has a decent start to the year and an injury to a teams 2nd line centre makes him move, but it would have to be for a bad contract (shorter than his) or for basically free

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I can't understand people complaining the guy is not producing while he's not playing, or playing on the 4th line. What do you expect? That he'll score 25 goals on the 4th line, while playing 5 mins a night? Get real. Even Ovechkin wouldn't do that. And I'm not comparing current Vinny to Ovechkin, not at all. He's far from what he used to be. But he's still a good hockey player. Is he worth 4.5M? No. But while we have him, we could use him properly, and benefit from having him.

x DeCruze

Dec 7, 2012
Vinny was given many opportunities, he was even tried with Jake and G on the lw and the 4th line got a lot more than 5 mins of ice time. Vinny just sucks, enough said.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I can't understand people complaining the guy is not producing while he's not playing, or playing on the 4th line. What do you expect? That he'll score 25 goals on the 4th line, while playing 5 mins a night? Get real. Even Ovechkin wouldn't do that. And I'm not comparing current Vinny to Ovechkin, not at all. He's far from what he used to be. But he's still a good hockey player. Is he worth 4.5M? No. But while we have him, we could use him properly, and benefit from having him.

You just lost your credibility when you said "he's still a good hockey player".

He isn't a good hockey player at all. He has a good shot...but can't hit the net.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I can't understand people complaining the guy is not producing while he's not playing, or playing on the 4th line.

Lack of production isn't the main problem. His skating is gone and he's a defensive liability. The only regular forward who faced weaker competition was Rinaldo. The only regular forward who had a higher Off Zone Start % was Voracek. This means Vinny got the easiest minutes on the team. And yet he was still a possession black hole.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hextall is a plainspoken man......when Hakstol was hired he specifically said that a change in coach probably wasn't going to change Vinny's marginalized situation. There is a reason for that! If somebody can't see that Vinny's best days are beyond him based on his play last season and how Berube actually tried to accommodate the dude in various situations with futile results...then not sure what to say.....:shakehead

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I liked and defended the signing... Then again I predicted we'd be a playoff team last year. I'm not going to be betting money on the flyers any time soon.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

:laugh: How clueless can you be?

He's not playing like trash because he's not getting opportunities, he's not getting opportunities because he's playing like trash. He's done, he's no longer worthy of playing in the NHL.

Role players, like Vandevelde and White, are miles and miles better than him because they have at least one thing that makes them useful. Lecavalier has exactly nothing to offer this team. Can't score, can't pass, can't skate, can't defend, can't think, can't fight, can't hit, can't win faceoffs, can't do a single thing that gets us closer to winning a game. Nobody who watched him last year could possibly deny this and there's no reason to think it's going to suddenly change.

If he turns out to be a useful player for us next year, since the likekihood of another team being stupid enough to take him from us during this offseason is incredibly slim, it would be nothing short of a miracle.

And you should be embarrassed that you typed the bolded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad