Looking at Next Years Defensive Lineup

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Stone did not fair very well when he was on the top pairing with OEL which is why he was taken off of it around mid-season and replaced with Murphy. Highly doubt he gets put back there at the start of the year when Murphy played better with OEL and Stone is coming off a destroyed knee. Once Murph adjusted to the extra muscle mass he put on over the summer I felt he was the much better all around player than Stone.

Michalek has slowed down considerably and shouldn't be anything more than a third pairing/PK guy.

IMO, pending any trades it looks like:
OEL - Murphy
Goose - Stone
Connauton - Z/Dahlbeck

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
This article is terrible. Murphy isn't very good and only gets the last spot on the third pairing because Tippett like him? Michalek on the second pairing? I think you guys need to stop writing articles on things you obviously know nothing about.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
This article is terrible. Murphy isn't very good and only gets the last spot on the third pairing because Tippett like him? Michalek on the second pairing? I think you guys need to stop writing articles on things you obviously know nothing about.

I was thinking the same. Murphy was undoubtedly our second best defenseman last year and has great chemistry with OEL. He fits on our first pairing without question

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Well, perhaps a closer look at last year might add some detail to this:

1st pairing
Murphy has done exceptionally well with OEL, so I can't see that pairing going by the wayside in favor of an OEL-Stone. Yes, Stone scored more points, but it's more important to balance things out. OEL-Murphy works much better since Murphy can cover OEL's arse when he has the occasional lapse.

2nd pairing
This will probably be Goligoski - Stone (once Stone returns from injury). From what I've gathered, Goligoski is more responsible around the net for when Stone inevitably blows his coverage. Z is in no way suited for 2nd pairing duty at this point in his career (although he may have to for a short time while Stone recovers)

3rd pairing
I'm guessing Connauton-Z will play here, although we may switch Z in and out of the lineup to get some of our younger D-men some ice-time (and because Z is slowing down quite a bit). I think I prefer a Dahlbeck - Connauton pairing here when Z is scratched for whatever reason.

Notable addition (missed in the piece)
DeAngelo. He may spend more time in the A this season, but while Stone recovers, I see a Goligoski-Connauton and Dahlbeck - DeAngelo pairing doing marginally well (if DeAngelo is ready for more NHL time)

Other D-men mentioned:
McBain is an AHL/Call-up signing
Tinordi is largely an AHL signing and possible call-up (until he "redeems" himself)

All in all, I'm still hoping we sign or acquire 1-2 D-men before the season begins. My inclination would be to sign Gryba and then move Dahlbeck, Connauton, and/or Tinordi (if they increase in value) later in the season.

Of course, I would also be in favor of buying Z out if our youngsters (DeAngelo and/or Wood) show they are "roster-worthy" in camp

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
I'm intrigued by Wood. I know he is a rookie and a lot of work in the AHL, but I would be surprised to see him get a look in the NHL this year. Stone's injury really concerns me. Knee injuries slow you down even after you recover and he already wasn't one of our best skaters.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'm intrigued by Wood. I know he is a rookie and a lot of work in the AHL, but I would be surprised to see him get a look in the NHL this year. Stone's injury really concerns me. Knee injuries slow you down even after you recover and he already wasn't one of our best skaters.

I highly doubt Wood will get NHL time this season, but stranger things have happened. Still, with the surplus of border line NHL/AHL D-men on our roster (Connauton, Dahlbeck, DeAngelo, McBain, and Tinordi), Wood certainly has a chance to outshine most of that group.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
That article looks like it was based upon somebody's 2 minute season highlight reel. Come on. It undervalues Murphy and does not take into account the possibility that Stone won't be himself until the end of the upcoming season.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Yeah not trying to be mean because articles are always appreciated, but a lot of this is just inaccurate.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I was thinking the same. Murphy was undoubtedly our second best defenseman last year and has great chemistry with OEL. He fits on our first pairing without question

The only reason Murphy is on the first pairing is his chemistry with OEL, period. He is not a first pairing D at the moment.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Not very smart to put a link for an article you did very little research on, on a Coyotes fan message board. He must have very little respect for our knowledge.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Not very smart to put a link for an article you did very little research on, on a Coyotes fan message board. He must have very little respect for our knowledge.

It was kind of a letdown since it promised to be an "indepth" look at the coyotes defense, but I guess that's what we all can add to the conversation :)

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
That article looks like it was based upon somebody's 2 minute season highlight reel. Come on. It undervalues Murphy and does not take into account the possibility that Stone won't be himself until the end of the upcoming season.

Is that right? Stone's injury was that bad? I seem to remember him guesting either on a dback game or nhl network and he seemed ok.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Is that right? Stone's injury was that bad? I seem to remember him guesting either on a dback game or nhl network and he seemed ok.

IIRC double ligament tear, MCL and ACL. He won't be himself for quite a while after he returns to the team.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
IIRC double ligament tear, MCL and ACL. He won't be himself for quite a while after he returns to the team.

Isn't that usually 9 months recovery? And Stone was injured in March? So a return would likely happen in 2017, up to speed in February. (If it goes well)

Really hope DeAngelo is good if I'm right about the recovery time.. Having a guy who can move the puck to fill in would be really nice.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
They said he was on track to be ready to start the season. He'll probably miss all of the pre-season and will have to be eased into the lineup.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Isn't that usually 9 months recovery? And Stone was injured in March? So a return would likely happen in 2017, up to speed in February. (If it goes well)

Really hope DeAngelo is good if I'm right about the recovery time.. Having a guy who can move the puck to fill in would be really nice.

I'm thinking it will be 2017 as well, but if he's ahead of schedule, all the better (as long as he doesn't return too soon). While he's recovering, it could be somewhat painful to watch our defense at work (barring any additions):
OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Connauton
Dahlbeck - Z / DeAngelo​

I still think we should add an additional D-man to fill in (and possibly move once Stone returns to form). Since it would be a temporary fill-in, a UFA may be the best bet rather than trading (unless we can acquire one of the young RFAs--Barrie, Dumba, Trouba, Orlov, Dekeyser). Of the current UFAs, I'd like to add Gryba, but someone like Quincey, Schenn, or Russell might be worth adding for a reasonable contract (in case we can't move them once Stone returns).

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Feels good for my fantasy when you all banking on Murphy will play with OEL. I Always liked him. so I sure hope he will log 20+ min and first pair PK.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Feels good for my fantasy when you all banking on Murphy will play with OEL. I Always liked him. so I sure hope he will log 20+ min and first pair PK.
Murph will 20 min a game, but will see little/no PP time, if he stays in AZ. Could get traded.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Z
Scheen/Tinordi/Dahlbeck - DeAngelo

I think it will be closer to the following while Stone recovers:
OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Connauton (or Schenn)
Dahlbeck (or Connauton) - Schenn/Z
[DeAngelo]
Camp will sort out where Connauton ends up​

Once Stone returns to form...
OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Stone
Connauton - Schenn/Z
[Dahlbeck]​

So...
LHD: OEL, Goligoski, Connauton, and Dahlbeck
RHD: Murphy, Schenn, Z, DeAngelo, and Stone (IR)​

Should make for an interesting camp (once you throw in Tinordi, McBain, Wood, and Chychrun into the mix)

Last edited:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
While we're adding to our roster, I think we should look at signing a few more RHDs:
Gryba is still available
Nakladal might be worth signing
and then there's Hrabarenka, Gauthier-Leduc, and Acolatse that could add something to our depth​

The more RHDs we have signed the better right? :sarcasm:

And just for kicks, let's add Breen (6'7 LHD) too. Breen - Schenn for 3rd pairing duty :)

Of course we could keep our eyes open for an available RW, we'll definitely need one of those at some point, but defense first!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad