look at the last ten games--does it show the oilers are changing personality?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Let me say--I was not the biggest fan of Eakins--he came from TO and I hate TO. For me he was and is a negative energy person.

it has been nearly a month since he walked the plank. Here is the question--ignore the first few weeks with Crap T behind the bench--Nelson I think has changed the tone of the team.

The last two games really stick out to me.

Since Nelson has taken over full time behind the bench it seems to me the energy of the players (all but hall) has chanegd for the good. yakupov has seen his icetime go from being about 11minute a game to about 16 and he has not looked crappy and looked very interested in what was going on around him. The role players have stepped up and shown some good character.

Before the sacking of Eakins--I do not see the oilers bouncing back against the caps like they did the last game.

In the last ten games--oilers have scored 30 goals (there average the year is 2.3) and they have let in 31 (average for the year is 3.3)--so it is a one goal difference--when you factor in that they have a -49 goal differene on the year--that says a lot.

Last ten games the oilers are 4-4-2

Now I know a great many of you aleady have the name McDavid or Eichel pencilled into the oilers line up (even though Eichel would not come here until the 16/17 season at the earliest and maybe not till march of the year)--but--we have three first overall picks in our line up, we have a 7th overall (Nurse) and 3rd Overall(Leon) in juniors.

But the losing astmosphere is killing the team, the organization, the city and this board--personally, I like Nelson--do not know what he is doing--but things look brighter then they have in a very long time. I would rather finish the season strong, get some winning positives in the dressing room then have yet another first overall picks called the saviour expected to come save the team. We have three on the roster already--

Play for the here and now--do not look at the standings, forget the first 30 games and play hard and do some damage and make teams no longer take the oilers as an easy 2pts win,,,

yeah--it may cost us a top pick--but we have had enough of those--time for the team to put on their big boy pants and play the game hard every night

just my two cents

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I'm all for the team improving but dont get any false hope based on a slight up turn in the back half of this season. Whether they finish at the bottom or win all their remaining games most likely they start next season as one of the worst teams. They might climb a couple places in the standings by teams not taking them serious and playing down to the Oilers level but it wont mean anything for the long term success of the team. Until they can come ready to play at the start of the season and keep it up while the season still matters these games are meaningless. Thinking they've turned a corner because it looks like they're a better team with Nelson is a mirage, it's fool's gold, it doesnt mean anything this team is still horrible and will be near the bottom again next season no matter how good they look. I dont think the losing atmosphere is gone just because we're only losing half the games now rather than all of them.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
the true test is the home stretch of the season: when we are playing teams that need to win

That's usually the worst time to assess a team like the Oilers actually.

They have zero pressure on them to perform since the season is already lost, and they tend to play a much more confident, relaxed game as a result. That combined with teams assessing a basement dwelling team as an easy opponent, lead to a mirage effect that masks the real ability of the team.

We saw it as recently as last year, where the team still played terrible game in and game out, and the coaching was still laughably atrocious - yet they were borderline flirting with a .500 pace. It's a mirage that gets dispelled quickly the second the games matter again however, like it did this year with goaltending, coaching etc.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton

They have zero pressure on them to perform since the season is already lost, and they tend to play a much more confident, relaxed game as a result. That combined with teams assessing a basement dwelling team as an easy opponent, lead to a mirage effect that masks the real ability of the team.

We saw it as recently as last year, where the team still played terrible game in and game out, and the coaching was still laughably atrocious - yet they were borderline flirting with a .500 pace. It's a mirage that gets dispelled quickly the second the games matter again however, like it did this year with goaltending, coaching etc.

This. +10000000000000 I don't know how many games Scrivezina bailed us out of last year. That being said, if we do look visually better than the sub .500 end to last year, we can take some positives into next season. :naughty:

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
You know what?

Ur92K.gif

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Totally. Sometimes the teams spins left. Sometimes it spins right. Depends how you look at it. Visually.

Spinning_Dancer.gif

Either way...it still spins in circles.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Yes they look better, lately. But even if they go .500 the rest of the way, it is quite possible their lineup will be weaker next year, minus Petry and Roy, add Nurse and Draisaitl.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
As long as she's got **** and an ass... I don't care which way she spins. :)

I digress though...

I think Nelson is turning this team in a positive direction. I'm already on record as saying this team will have ~75 pts at season's end... which has already been called overly optimistic by some... but I think the team is starting to turn around and click.

If MacT is true to his word and further beefs up this lineup... it'll head further in the right direction under Nelson instead of into a swirling drain under Eakins.

Nothing could be assessed accurately under Eakins because his influence was sickeningly stifling. He was the coaching equivalent of the Belanger triangle.

Anything Eakins did resulted in crap results... and there was no escaping his magnetic radiance of putridness across the entire roster.

Now that the sheet of **** has been removed and we can finally start assessing the team again.

Still plenty of flaws in the team... too soft and not gritty enough for one... but I think Nelson can play to the strengths of this team instead of Eakins bringing out the worst in the team. He seemed to find every weakness in this roster and tailored systems to exploit and enhance them. Eakins was a master coach for the tank.

Nelson... seems to be going in the direction of getting more bang for the buck out of this roster. 12 pts in 11 games is an 89 pt pace. If this team keeps that up... that's pretty much the maximum we can expect out of this team... he'd be getting maximum performance from this lineup at this stage... which I think he can do.

I'm probably overly optimistic actually but it's probably from being so happy that the Eakins scourge is gone and now we can actually focus on the flaws and issues of the players instead of the abomination of a coach this team was plagued by for a year and a half.

Next season... who knows. It all of course depends on what happens at the deadline, at the draft and in the summer but I know I'm orders of magnitude more optimistic now about this team than I was when Eakins was in the midst of his 10 year reign of terror over this team.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
I'm all for the team improving but dont get any false hope based on a slight up turn in the back half of this season. Whether they finish at the bottom or win all their remaining games most likely they start next season as one of the worst teams. They might climb a couple places in the standings by teams not taking them serious and playing down to the Oilers level but it wont mean anything for the long term success of the team. Until they can come ready to play at the start of the season and keep it up while the season still matters these games are meaningless. Thinking they've turned a corner because it looks like they're a better team with Nelson is a mirage, it's fool's gold, it doesnt mean anything this team is still horrible and will be near the bottom again next season no matter how good they look. I dont think the losing atmosphere is gone just because we're only losing half the games now rather than all of them.

Feelings are for your Momma!

Touchy feely thoughts are a waste of time!

You have given Zero support for your FEELINGS!

We know the oilers forwards experienced a29% drop in production.

We know Goalies faced a a closer shot distance with Eakins forward pinch and D yielding the Blue.

We are .600 against the west teams under Nelson.

that is a key difference.

I am tired of touchy feely comments on here.

We needed to get rid of the GM trained by a loser org. VCR.

Mact need to realize a coach trained by the biggest loser org TOR was a mistake.

Bring in our Oiler system trained Coach and we are on a 90 pt pace.

Keep your feelings to your Momma; Wife; Husband; Girlfirend; Boyfriend; Drink Buddies!

The fact is EAKINS so pouched the season. The org will be gaging the players for the rest of the season to determine who to replace.

Perron 38 gm -17 was purge #1

One of the silliest comments.
doing well in games that do not matter.
Load of s...............
they are playing teams that want to win.
we are beating them!

We are finally getting to a point were we will see org depth that forces our prospects to earn a position in the forwards.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-Roy-XXX
XXX-XXX-XXX
Klinkhammer -Gordon-Hendricks

LW Fraser; Hamilton; Slepyshev;
C Yakimov; Lander; Draisatl
RW Purcell; YAK; Pakarinen; Draisatl

D needs some work!

What will be interesting is seeing how many picks in the top 40 we have. in a draft were players ranked in the 30's have production and skills near players at the top of 2011 and 2012 draft.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Well, there's still a lot of work to do regarding the lineup but Nelson at least seems competent at his job, so far...I think we'll be the Winnipeg Jets for the next few years. Sort of stuck in nowhere, sniffing at a playoff spot every now and then but not getting it...and then hopefully Nurse, Drai and Klefbom and whoever we pick this year can make some huge contributions to this team and elevate us to the playoffs. I don't know if we'll ever be a contender though. This core is too weak. Funny, after a decade of rebuilding with one goal in sight, the Oilers are going to be the same team they already were, a borderline playoff team with no hope of winning the Cup.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If he can get us 40 more points in the standings then I'd be ok with holding onto him. I have no reason to believe his awesome. I think it's possible that Eakins was THAT bad.

Remember when he came in and talked about how none of his forwards knew what he was talking about and then he had to significantly simplify things? And then a few weeks later he pretty much threw his playbook out of the window? The dork clearly didn't know what he was doing.

If Nelson couldn't do better than that it would have been hilarious.

He's letting them play a bit more offensively and he comes across as a more likeable person, so I'm not surprised that we're getting a bit better results out of him.

But remember at the same time players usually play better when I new coach comes in. If the players continue to flop that's when they get traded.

In the past some people have suggested that it's possible that Eberle and Hall have been having bad years because they want to get traded... but if you don't have a NTC you can't control where you're being traded or what you're being traded for.

If Seattle and Vegas announce getting hockey teams you can bet the farm that players the year before are going to work harder because they will want to be protected. It'll be an awesome year for hockey, because nobody will want to be waived over to or traded to an expansion team. It's a bloody nightmare.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The team is different no question in my mind. Wins or losses aside they have a pulse and are not folding the tent the moment they get behind.

Nelson has made a difference. It was my feeling even with Eakins here that the oilers would cobble together enough late wins and other teams would fold to the point we would not be picking top two.

Creating a winning attitude is important but to say we have had 3 1st overalls we don't need another is not correct imo. We have had the misfortune of drafting #1 overall when there has been no franchise players in the draft. We got good players but far from franchise players. The top two players in this draft are considered franchise guys thought only time will tell.

I view McDavid one full notch above anyone we have drafted and he plays a premium position. Having gone thorough yet another 'debacle' of a season I would much rather continue to lose and get the franchise guy.

One reason for this is I do not trust our GM even a little bit. If Nelson does well the rest of the season he will be given another chance but no way he gets a 4 years deal. He'll be given a one year 'show me' deal by mact because he totally changes his mind 100% on most issues.

Also at the first sign of a losing streak Nelson will be punted quick.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

If you watched the Washington feed you would have seen Trotz talk about how the Oiler game was nearly a must win for the Caps. This was echoed by a couple of the players as well. They had come off tough losses to Nashville and Dallas just prior to the Oiler game. The Caps came out pretty well and I don't really think they played all that bad. The difference for me is that under Eakins I think the team folds after the early adversity. This team does look more relaxed but I am not so sure it is only because the season is over. It's not like they had a shot at the playoffs in the last weeks of Eakin's reign.

They did have a spurt last year as well. But a lot of that was ridiculously good goaltending. During this streak they have had solid but not really spectacular goaltending and even when the team has given up a bad goal they have bounced back.

It could well be a mirage, but you have to give some credit to Nelson. At the very least he has increased the intensity of the team's practices. We have a fair bit of evidence that under Eakins they did a lot of standing around. You also have to acknowledge that Nelson has been able to get his teams in OKC to perform to full capacity. They tend to play with energy and do not give up. He's gotten the Oiler defense more involved in the offense of late and has actually turned around the pp somewhat.

I have been fooled before, but this time really feels like things might be different. I still expect them to lose their fair share going home but I don't expect them top return to the insanity that was the last year and a half under Eakins.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
I have mentioned this before, RNH in the off season said "off the record" that he didn't think the team would go anywhere with Eakins.

I'm pretty sure the players are happy with the coaching move.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I agree with Tarus. I am hopeful that Nelson is an improvement, but I'm skeptical.

We've seen our Rebuild 1.0 Stars (Gagner, Nilsson, Cogliano) go on a tear at the end of a meaningless season and almost make the playoffs. What a bright future that team had!!!

The Oilers are now getting better goaltending and shooting percentages, and I think that has to factor in. Scrivens and Fasth destroyed Eakins just as much as his coaching.

Nelson has certainly brought some positivity in, but we're fighting for a move from 30th to maybe 27th at this point. Not Nelson's fault obviously, but the team has zero pressure and I think that shows.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Feelings are for your Momma!

Touchy feely thoughts are a waste of time!

You have given Zero support for your FEELINGS!

We know the oilers forwards experienced a29% drop in production.

We know Goalies faced a a closer shot distance with Eakins forward pinch and D yielding the Blue.

We are .600 against the west teams under Nelson.

that is a key difference.

I am tired of touchy feely comments on here.

We needed to get rid of the GM trained by a loser org. VCR.

Mact need to realize a coach trained by the biggest loser org TOR was a mistake.

Bring in our Oiler system trained Coach and we are on a 90 pt pace.

Keep your feelings to your Momma; Wife; Husband; Girlfirend; Boyfriend; Drink Buddies!

The fact is EAKINS so pouched the season. The org will be gaging the players for the rest of the season to determine who to replace.

Perron 38 gm -17 was purge #1

One of the silliest comments.
doing well in games that do not matter.
Load of s...............
they are playing teams that want to win.
we are beating them!

We are finally getting to a point were we will see org depth that forces our prospects to earn a position in the forwards.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-Roy-XXX
XXX-XXX-XXX
Klinkhammer -Gordon-Hendricks

LW Fraser; Hamilton; Slepyshev;
C Yakimov; Lander; Draisatl
RW Purcell; YAK; Pakarinen; Draisatl

D needs some work!

What will be interesting is seeing how many picks in the top 40 we have. in a draft were players ranked in the 30's have production and skills near players at the top of 2011 and 2012 draft.

... and who hired the loser Tambellini and the loser Eakins? Who trashed two seasons because of "feelings" for Eakins? Who is ultimately responsibie for all the regression and problems in this organization?

Lowe and MacTavish ... yet the only mention of either of them in your post comes in the form of you stating MacTavish has to "realize his mistake".

Perhaps your "feelings" for MacTavish and Lowe are clouding your judgment?

Both are incompetent at their jobs, and both should be fired. Please set aside your feelings and start dealing with that reality.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
If you watched the Washington feed you would have seen Trotz talk about how the Oiler game was nearly a must win for the Caps. This was echoed by a couple of the players as well. They had come off tough losses to Nashville and Dallas just prior to the Oiler game. The Caps came out pretty well and I don't really think they played all that bad. The difference for me is that under Eakins I think the team folds after the early adversity. This team does look more relaxed but I am not so sure it is only because the season is over. It's not like they had a shot at the playoffs in the last weeks of Eakin's reign.

They did have a spurt last year as well. But a lot of that was ridiculously good goaltending. During this streak they have had solid but not really spectacular goaltending and even when the team has given up a bad goal they have bounced back.

It could well be a mirage, but you have to give some credit to Nelson. At the very least he has increased the intensity of the team's practices. We have a fair bit of evidence that under Eakins they did a lot of standing around. You also have to acknowledge that Nelson has been able to get his teams in OKC to perform to full capacity. They tend to play with energy and do not give up. He's gotten the Oiler defense more involved in the offense of late and has actually turned around the pp somewhat.

I have been fooled before, but this time really feels like things might be different. I still expect them to lose their fair share going home but I don't expect them top return to the insanity that was the last year and a half under Eakins.

Full credit to Nelson since he took over, he's done a good job in the short amount of time he's had since taking over for the pathetic disaster that was the Eakins/Mact duo.(not that it was much of a hurdle to clear though :laugh:)

My point is more that wins and improved performances have to be taken with a huge grain of salt when it comes to a team that mathematically eliminated from the playoffs before Christmas. As per my previous points, there are just a lot of factors that can conspire to paint a very misleading picture of what the team is capable of when there is zero pressure on a team to do anything other play out the string.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I agree with Tarus. I am hopeful that Nelson is an improvement, but I'm skeptical.

We've seen our Rebuild 1.0 Stars (Gagner, Nilsson, Cogliano) go on a tear at the end of a meaningless season and almost make the playoffs. What a bright future that team had!!!

The Oilers are now getting better goaltending and shooting percentages, and I think that has to factor in. Scrivens and Fasth destroyed Eakins just as much as his coaching.

Nelson has certainly brought some positivity in, but we're fighting for a move from 30th to maybe 27th at this point. Not Nelson's fault obviously, but the team has zero pressure and I think that shows.

Bull... The first game of the season sayas everything you need to know about how Eakins failed our goalies and not the other way around.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It will be interesting to hear what reasons Nuge, Hall and Eberle give for not playing in the world championships in Prague in may

if I am not mistaken--Hall has turned down the offer all of his career so far

One thing I liked about Smyth he loved the game and wearing the Canadian jersey--Hall and the other guys--not so much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad