Longest-Running WBS Thread Ever | Penguins bounced in 5 games by Syracuse in ECF

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Yet another instance of me being spectacularly wrong. Never imagined we'd need another one of these after the lockout ended.

For those just jumping in, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is tied 1-1 in the Eastern Conference Final with Syracuse, which has much of the roster of last year's juggernaut that won the Calder Cup (the Lightning switched affiliations from Norfolk).

WBS swept Binghamton in the best-of-five opening round and then rallied from a 3-0 deficit in the Eastern semis against Providence. Brad Thiessen posted two shutouts and is back in the starting job, replacing Jeff Zatkoff.

The Pens took Game 1 in Syracuse before falling flat and snapping their five-game streak with a loss in Game 2. Game 3 is tonight in Wilkes-Barre at 7:05.

London Knights stalwarts Scott Harrington and Olli Maatta have joined the club on ATOs. Don't be surprised if Harrington in particular finds his way into the lineup soon. The Penguins blueline has most recently been manned by captain Joey Mormina, Brian Dumoulin, Philip Samuelsson, Reid McNeill, Alex Grant and ECHL call-up Peter Merth.

Portland's Derrick Pouliot is also expected to join the club soon after the Winterhawks' loss in the Memorial Cup final.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Yet another instance of me being spectacularly wrong. Never imagined we'd need another one of these after the lockout ended.

For those just jumping in, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is tied 1-1 in the Eastern Conference Final with Syracuse, which has much of the roster of last year's juggernaut that won the Calder Cup (the Lightning switched affiliations from Norfolk).

WBS swept Binghamton in the best-of-five opening round and then rallied from a 3-0 deficit in the Eastern semis against Providence. Brad Thiessen posted two shutouts and is back in the starting job, replacing Jeff Zatkoff.

The Pens took Game 1 in Syracuse before falling flat and snapping their five-game streak with a loss in Game 2. Game 3 is tonight in Wilkes-Barre at 7:05.

London Knights stalwarts Scott Harrington and Olli Maatta have joined the club on ATOs. Don't be surprised if Harrington especially finds his way into the lineup soon.

Portland's Derrick Pouliot is also expected to join the club soon after the Winterhawks' loss in the Memorial Cup final.

I wouldn't think they would be allowed to play. Are you sure about that?

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Yup. It's common for guys whose junior seasons end to be able to join their parent club's farm team on a tryout deal. The CHL only cares about not losing its top talent to the AHL when the season is in session.

Now whether they actually get into the lineup is another story. Tough even for guys with great pedigrees to play with mostly strangers in a new-ish system in a playoff environment. Depends on Hynes' comfort level with them, I'd think.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Can't see WBS getting past Syracuse but would love them too. Reckon they'll win tonight but lose the series 4-2.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Yup. It's common for guys whose junior seasons end to be able to join their parent club's farm team on a tryout deal. The CHL only cares about not losing its top talent to the AHL when the season is in session.

Now whether they actually get into the lineup is another story. Tough even for guys with great pedigrees to play with mostly strangers in a new-ish system in a playoff environment. Depends on Hynes' comfort level with them, I'd think.

If only they were forwards. :( I don't see them being that much better than any of the current D (aside from Pouliott). You could mask a new forward easier than a new D.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
I'll be there alternately watching the game and Detroit/Chi at the bar.
Syracuse is a powerhouse; I'm hoping for Theissen to make some big saves and maybe we can grab this win on home ice.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Very interesting. It's Maatta who gets the call tonight, not Harrington. Would not have guessed that.

Maatta takes McNeill's spot in the lineup. No score, midway through the first.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
Very interesting. It's Maatta who gets the call tonight, not Harrington. Would not have guessed that.

Maatta takes McNeill's spot in the lineup. No score, midway through the first.

That made me wonder if Harrington's injury that he had is still bothering him.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
They don't televise these games hey?? I'd like to see how Maatta fairs in his pro-debut.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Wish I could watch this since Pouliot & Maatta are the guys who made Morrow expendable. I'm way more curious about Maatta than I used to be just based on that alone.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Very chippy game. A dozen penalties called in the first, but no score.

Pens on the power play to open the second.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
gotta be weird for Maatta.. he's never even had an NHL training camp or any preseason action. Though I guess with 2 Memorial Cups and 2 WJCs (+1 partial WJC) he's probably used to pressure.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Penguins down 1-0 after two periods. Namestnikov scored for the Crunch.

Both sides have squandered great opportunities on the power play.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Syracuse gets an empty-netter and the shutout for the win and a 2-1 series lead.

I didn't have a stream, but it sounded like Maatta jumped in late on an odd-man rush in the third and had a quality scoring chance that was robbed by Desjardins.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The only rationale, which is also justifiable, for Maatta getting the call, besides injury -- and I think both he and Harrington are more than capable of stepping in -- is that perhaps they want one additional guy who they perceive as being a slightly better option at creating offense from the back-end. Perhaps that was their rationale.

Would have loved to see him play in that game but didn't, and it will be interesting to see who gets the call in the next game.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Apparently Grant had a rough game. Sound like Johnny Bomb thinks maybe Maatta would stay in and then McNeill would go back in for Grant.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Shame to drop 1 at home but I think they have 2 more before they go back to Syracuse as they use a 2-3-2 format in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad