NHL Entry Draft: Lone Rogue's big ol' mocker drafterson

Lone Rogue

Sep 27, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
1. Tampa Bay: Steven Stamkos, Center
Why: Duh. With the loss of Brad Richards, Tampa Bay will have the best center in the draft to fill in his place as an 18 year old, and the Tampa Bay Lightning will get a close look at whether or not they should consider rebuilding the entire team and possibly letting Vincent Lecavalier go at the trade deadline for a big pot of gold.
2. Los Angeles: Zach Bogosian, Defence
Why: L.A. is notorious for taking players off the board, but with the second overall pick, they will likely stay tight to the Top 5. There are no golden right wingers out there, something the Kings might look toward, so defence it is. The Kings will likely target a bigger D-man and take Zach Bogosian. I will say I won't be surprised to see the Kings go after Pietrangelo, or go off the board a bit and hunt down a winger.
3. Atlanta: Drew Doughty, Defence
Why: Atlanta is in luck for having a high pick and a need for D. Doughty is the perfect pick up for them, and will certainly compliment the team. For everything the Thrashers have been blessed with over the years, a bluechip defenceman is something they have missed. Doughty fills that.
4. St. Louis: Nikita Filatov, Winger
Why: The Blues are in a bit of a situation, unlike the Thrashers. There is still Pietrangelo and Schenn available, but the Blues are pretty young on the blueline as it is. It's with this that the Blues ensure there will not be a Cherepanov drop like last season and take Nikita Filatov. With Rucinsky looking ready to call it quits and Kariya getting older, they will need something to look forward to. The talented Filatov is the right move.
5. Long Island: Luke Schenn, Defence
Why: While the Islanders don't look screaming bad on their team for blueliners, prospect wise, they are certainly lacking. Luke Schenn should come in fine.
6. Columbus: Colin Wilson, center
Why: A lot suspect the Blue Jackets to go after a defenceman, but I beg to differ. I think the Jackets will be fine with what they have in the system and go after a centerman. Top on their list will be American Colin Wilson, who despite likely taking some time in Boston University, will come out being a top center for a team who could surely use one.
7. Toronto: Kyle Beach, center
Why: Wait, what? It's good to remember that Beach is a former Top 10 in the ISS who has dropped quite a bit. Why would the Leafs skip Pietrangelo? The fact is, Kyle Beach is a poor man's Eric Lindros, and the kind of player MLSE can prop up as a worthy successor to Mats Sundin. With the Leafs in D-man Purgatory with too many big contracts to move, its better to just bring in a big body presence, whose aggressiveness will make him fans in the GTA.
8. Phoenix: Alex Pietrangelo, defence
Why: Ain't no way Gretzky is going to skip on Alex. At 6'3", Pietrangelo has quite an impressive stature, and it has nothing to do with his play that drops him to number eight. The Coyotes will run with this, just as they ran with Turris.
9. Nashville: Cody Hodgson, center
Why: Another team that should be fine on the blue line, the Preds go after Cody Hodgson, who will likely be ready once Jason Arnott is ready to leave Tennessee.
10. Vancouver: Zac Boychuk, center
Why: Skipping on Spitfire Josh Bailey and blueliner Luca Sbisa, the Canucks will take the Lethbridge centerman who should feel quite at home in the Canucks locker. The Canucks need a top centerman, and Boychuk fits the bill as one of the 5 best centers the Draft has to offer.

11. Chicago: Luca Sbisa, defence
Why: The extremely young blueline of the Chicago Blackhawks will just end up getting younger. Sbisa is very talented and shifty on his skates, and will just helping build to the future of the Blackhawks. If all of their prospects end up developing properly, what you see in Pittsburgh will happen in Chicago. Count on it.
12. Anaheim: Tyler Myers, defence
Why: Who else? Beach will be taken by the Leafs (and if he isn't, count on him being taken here). Burke loves his strong Canadians and Americans, so there is no reason for him to take Tedenby. Why not take a Border crosser like Myers? 6'7", he can play rough and while needing to fill up a bit, could end up helping replace Chris Pronger when he retires eventually. Big skates to fill, but I'm sure his foot is big.
13. Buffalo: Joshua Bailey, center
Why: The Sabres have two picks and one need: Forward power. Bailey put up 96 points for the Spitfires this year, and while I doubt he'll come in as an 18 year old, he can develop for the Sabres into being the kind of guy Sabre fans can look forward to making up for the loss of Daniel Briere.
14. Carolina: Mattias Tedenby, Winger
Why: When it comes to needs, getting someone on the left wing in the system is a big one. Tedenby is a talented Swede who should bring something to Greensboro in a few seasons.
15. Nashville: Zac Dalpe, center
Why: Watch for the Predators to go a little off the board for their second pick and take up Pentiction's finest, Zac Dalpe. It doesn't hurt to be deep down the middle, and that will be exactly what the Predators are planning for.
16. Boston: Colten Teubert, defence
Why: The big defenceman will look good in a Bruins sweater, once he starts filling his 6'3" frame. Boston won't have any issues on D for a little while, and once their veterans start looking elsewhere, Teubert should be ready to come in.
17. Calgary: Colby Robak, Defence
Why: It's a toss up between Robak and Del Zotto, so I think the Flames scouting would know a little more about Robak than Del Zotto. Another reason for this choice is Robak's size could make the Flames even deadlier if Robak grows into his first round choice form.
18. Ottawa: Kirill Petrov, winger
Why: Choosing 18th is nice for the Senators, who haven't chosen this low since they lucked out on 9th in the 2005 Lottery Draft. While Ottawa could use Del Zotto, my belief is they will look to russian Kirikk Petrov, as the Sens certainly need to find more scoring than just their top line. In a few years, Petrov could certainly find good form in that.
19. Columbus: Michael Del Zotto, defence
Why: Like the Predators, Sabres, Thrashers and Kings, the Blue Jackets land themselves another pick. After grabbing Wilson sixth overal, the Blue Jackets will use this pick to land the defencemen everyone thought they would pick up back then. The best bang for their buck is Michael Del Zotto, a hulking strong blueliner who already has the size. He may be under 6 feet, but you don't feel it on the boards.
20. New York: Jared Staal, center
Why: The Rangers have a choice: Go with whats best available or go off the board. The Rangers are pretty well rounded, so taking a chance wouldn't hurt. I say they take a chance with Jared Staal, the final Staal brother. Playing with his brother Marc will be great, and over the years might convince one of the other Staal's to come to the Rangers. While he seems to be a middle ground second round pick, taking a chance on a Staal doesn't seem to be a bad idea so far.

21. New Jersey: John Carlson, defence
Why: Unfortunately for the Devils, now is a good time to find the guy to one day take Martin Brodeur's reins. You won't find it in this years draft. Instead, the Devils will take John Carlson, from Indiana in the USHL. He's a big kid, well filled, and should look great in New Jersey. Even if the Devils don't take Carlson, expect whoever the Devils pick to play in the NHL one day.
22. Edmonton: Joe Colborne, winger
Why: Poor Oilers. With the Ducks pick, they seem to be stuck with who the Ducks likely would have taken. 6'5" center Joe Colborne might not become the next big Joe in the NHL, but sure has an attractive amount of size. He is likely a work in progress for the Oilers, and in several years, could be someone to rely on the wing.
23. Washington: Chet Pickard, goaltender
Why: Seeing the close relationship that the Caps have with the Tri-City Americans, its no doubt that much like Carey Price, Olaf Kolzig's team in the WHL has put some good time into this kid. If Chet can have half the potential as Carey, he'll be a steal as the only goaltender chosen in the first round.
24. Minnesota: Erik Karlsson, defence
Why: The Wild seem to be a factory for gret defencemen, with Kuba and Mitchell coming out of their system. Expect the factory to continue working. Erik Karlsson is a little on the small side, but the Swede can move, and the Wild will mold him into whoever they want.
25: Montreal: David Toews, winger
Why: Bob Gainey has a tendency of choosing the best possible player, whether or not his position could be filled. This is why he has picked two straight defencemen high in the draft, and took Carey as 5th overall. While the Habs might have their eyes on the big Grachev at center, David Toews has a lot of potential, and coming from the Superstar factory of Shattuck, he wouldn't be a bad pick for the Habs.
26: Buffalo: Evgeny Grachev, center
Why: Montreal may end up kicking themselves if they end up playing Grachev eight games a year. The big russian is a great presence down the middle, and in a few seasons, could come in on fire. Him and Bailey will look good in Sabre uniforms down the road, especially if one of them gets to set up Vanek.
27. Philadelphia: Greg Nemisz, center
Why: Nemisz is a big kid, just like how the Flyers like them. The Spitfire had a solid season, but will have a lot of room to improve as well. He should be a star on the Phantoms before seeing time as a Flyer.
28. Los Angeles: Jordan Eberle, center
Why: Losing out on Stamkos doesn't hurt the Kings too much. Especially if Eberle surprises everyone like some have predicted. Eberle has received comparisons to Joe Sakic, but don't put too much into it. If only the Kings knew what to do with their youth...

29. Detroit: Anton Gustafsson, center
Why: Where Detroit drafts, be it 29th or 30th, it really won't matter since their needs will not mix. It's no surprise that the Red Wings go after a Swede. After a solid season in the Super Elite league, Gustafsson is a strong pick for the Red Wings.
30. Atlanta: Jake Gardiner, defence
Why: If Atlanta does pick 30th, I doubt the Penguins mind (with the Cup). If they pick 29th, the pick will still be the same. Gardiner, a high school draft pick from Minnesota, where they seem to breed more hockey players than anywhere else in the U.S., will make a fine work in progress and likely won't play until Doughty is 24. That said, Gardiner should have a great career with the Thrashers, who are building for tomorrow.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Why: The Rangers have a choice: Go with whats best available or go off the board. The Rangers are pretty well rounded, so taking a chance wouldn't hurt. I say they take a chance with Jared Staal, the final Staal brother. Playing with his brother Marc will be great, and over the years might convince one of the other Staal's to come to the Rangers. While he seems to be a middle ground second round pick, taking a chance on a Staal doesn't seem to be a bad idea so far.

Ugh ugh ugh. If this happens I will break out the hard stuff in full force.

Lone Rogue

Sep 27, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
I understand that a lot of guys get really touchy about these things, and I just look at it for fun, but one thing I have to mention:

The Habs will not take David Toews ahead of Jordan Eberle, not a chance.

evilman in 2007: The Habs will not take Ryan McDonaugh ahead of Angelo Esposito, not a chance.

evilman in 2006: The Habs will not take David Fischer ahead of Claude Giroux, not a chance.

evilman in 2005: The Habs will not take Carey Price ahead of Gilbert Brule, not a chance.

evilman in 1980: The Habs will not take Doug Wickenheiser ahead of Denis Savard, not a chance.

;) Montreal and Los Angeles are the toughest teams to predict. The only thing I know is Bob goes by the best player available, not who fits a certain need.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Explain to me why you think Columbus's system has anything remotely resembling a stable blueline currently and in the future...

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Where the hell is Mikkel boedker?

I was thinking the same thing once I never saw his name in the top 10 but he left him off completely.

I also doubt Pieterangelo slips to eight. If the Leafs passed on him to get Beach I would be ****in pissed. The Leafs are in no position to draft particulars.....they need the BPA. Pieterangelo definantly fits that bill

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Why: Seeing the close relationship that the Caps have with the Tri-City Americans, its no doubt that much like Carey Price, Olaf Kolzig's team in the WHL has put some good time into this kid. If Chet can have half the potential as Carey, he'll be a steal as the only goaltender chosen in the first round.

Washington drafted 2 goalies early in '06, Varlamov late 1st, and Neuvirth early 2nd... why on earth would they draft yet another goalie so early? Varlamov is already one of the top 3(top 5 at least) goalies in the RSL at 19, and a major reason Yaroslavl was in the RSL championship final.

Varlamov will be playing in the AHL next year and he's already said he's willing to spend a couple years there before making the jump.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Why: When it comes to needs, getting someone on the left wing in the system is a big one. Tedenby is a talented Swede who should bring something to Greensboro in a few seasons.

If he's heading for Greensboro he'll be...oh, about 10 years too late. The Hurricanes haven't played their since the 98-99 season :laugh:

There's no way Carolina takes a European in the first round when there's so much North American talent available. I don't want to say they're against European's but their drafting history, especially in recent years, heavily favours Canadians and Americans. It's a big stretch to say they'll take an undersized Swede over some of the guys that will still be available at 14.

Galchy27

Oct 8, 2007
I understand that a lot of guys get really touchy about these things, and I just look at it for fun, but one thing I have to mention:

evilman in 2007: The Habs will not take Ryan McDonaugh ahead of Angelo Esposito, not a chance.

evilman in 2006: The Habs will not take David Fischer ahead of Claude Giroux, not a chance.

evilman in 2005: The Habs will not take Carey Price ahead of Gilbert Brule, not a chance.

evilman in 1980: The Habs will not take Doug Wickenheiser ahead of Denis Savard, not a chance.

;) Montreal and Los Angeles are the toughest teams to predict. The only thing I know is Bob goes by the best player available, not who fits a certain need.

:laugh: I never said any of that... I realize you're being sarcastic, but this is what I actually said:

2007: I never even wanted Esposito to begin with. Never liked him.

2006: I wanted Sanguinetti, not Giroux.

2005: I wanted Kopitar, not Brule.

1980: I wasn't even born back then.

The BPA this year, in my opinion, is Jordan Eberle. Just because David Toews is related to Jonathan doesn't mean he's as good as he is.

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
where is boedker????? habs will take deschamps probably

1. Tampa Bay: Steven Stamkos, Center
Why: Duh. With the loss of Brad Richards, Tampa Bay will have the best center in the draft to fill in his place as an 18 year old, and the Tampa Bay Lightning will get a close look at whether or not they should consider rebuilding the entire team and possibly letting Vincent Lecavalier go at the trade deadline for a big pot of gold.
2. Los Angeles: Zach Bogosian, Defence
Why: L.A. is notorious for taking players off the board, but with the second overall pick, they will likely stay tight to the Top 5. There are no golden right wingers out there, something the Kings might look toward, so defence it is. The Kings will likely target a bigger D-man and take Zach Bogosian. I will say I won't be surprised to see the Kings go after Pietrangelo, or go off the board a bit and hunt down a winger.
3. Atlanta: Drew Doughty, Defence
Why: Atlanta is in luck for having a high pick and a need for D. Doughty is the perfect pick up for them, and will certainly compliment the team. For everything the Thrashers have been blessed with over the years, a bluechip defenceman is something they have missed. Doughty fills that.
4. St. Louis: Nikita Filatov, Winger
Why: The Blues are in a bit of a situation, unlike the Thrashers. There is still Pietrangelo and Schenn available, but the Blues are pretty young on the blueline as it is. It's with this that the Blues ensure there will not be a Cherepanov drop like last season and take Nikita Filatov. With Rucinsky looking ready to call it quits and Kariya getting older, they will need something to look forward to. The talented Filatov is the right move.
5. Long Island: Luke Schenn, Defence
Why: While the Islanders don't look screaming bad on their team for blueliners, prospect wise, they are certainly lacking. Luke Schenn should come in fine.
6. Columbus: Colin Wilson, center
Why: A lot suspect the Blue Jackets to go after a defenceman, but I beg to differ. I think the Jackets will be fine with what they have in the system and go after a centerman. Top on their list will be American Colin Wilson, who despite likely taking some time in Boston University, will come out being a top center for a team who could surely use one.
7. Toronto: Kyle Beach, center
Why: Wait, what? It's good to remember that Beach is a former Top 10 in the ISS who has dropped quite a bit. Why would the Leafs skip Pietrangelo? The fact is, Kyle Beach is a poor man's Eric Lindros, and the kind of player MLSE can prop up as a worthy successor to Mats Sundin. With the Leafs in D-man Purgatory with too many big contracts to move, its better to just bring in a big body presence, whose aggressiveness will make him fans in the GTA.
8. Phoenix: Alex Pietrangelo, defence
Why: Ain't no way Gretzky is going to skip on Alex. At 6'3", Pietrangelo has quite an impressive stature, and it has nothing to do with his play that drops him to number eight. The Coyotes will run with this, just as they ran with Turris.
9. Nashville: Cody Hodgson, center
Why: Another team that should be fine on the blue line, the Preds go after Cody Hodgson, who will likely be ready once Jason Arnott is ready to leave Tennessee.
10. Vancouver: Zac Boychuk, center
Why: Skipping on Spitfire Josh Bailey and blueliner Luca Sbisa, the Canucks will take the Lethbridge centerman who should feel quite at home in the Canucks locker. The Canucks need a top centerman, and Boychuk fits the bill as one of the 5 best centers the Draft has to offer.

11. Chicago: Luca Sbisa, defence
Why: The extremely young blueline of the Chicago Blackhawks will just end up getting younger. Sbisa is very talented and shifty on his skates, and will just helping build to the future of the Blackhawks. If all of their prospects end up developing properly, what you see in Pittsburgh will happen in Chicago. Count on it.
12. Anaheim: Tyler Myers, defence
Why: Who else? Beach will be taken by the Leafs (and if he isn't, count on him being taken here). Burke loves his strong Canadians and Americans, so there is no reason for him to take Tedenby. Why not take a Border crosser like Myers? 6'7", he can play rough and while needing to fill up a bit, could end up helping replace Chris Pronger when he retires eventually. Big skates to fill, but I'm sure his foot is big.
13. Buffalo: Joshua Bailey, center
Why: The Sabres have two picks and one need: Forward power. Bailey put up 96 points for the Spitfires this year, and while I doubt he'll come in as an 18 year old, he can develop for the Sabres into being the kind of guy Sabre fans can look forward to making up for the loss of Daniel Briere.
15. Nashville: Zac Dalpe, center
Why: Watch for the Predators to go a little off the board for their second pick and take up Pentiction's finest, Zac Dalpe. It doesn't hurt to be deep down the middle, and that will be exactly what the Predators are planning for.
16. Boston: Colten Teubert, defence
Why: The big defenceman will look good in a Bruins sweater, once he starts filling his 6'3" frame. Boston won't have any issues on D for a little while, and once their veterans start looking elsewhere, Teubert should be ready to come in.
17. Calgary: Colby Robak, Defence
Why: It's a toss up between Robak and Del Zotto, so I think the Flames scouting would know a little more about Robak than Del Zotto. Another reason for this choice is Robak's size could make the Flames even deadlier if Robak grows into his first round choice form.
18. Ottawa: Kirill Petrov, winger
Why: Choosing 18th is nice for the Senators, who haven't chosen this low since they lucked out on 9th in the 2005 Lottery Draft. While Ottawa could use Del Zotto, my belief is they will look to russian Kirikk Petrov, as the Sens certainly need to find more scoring than just their top line. In a few years, Petrov could certainly find good form in that.
19. Columbus: Michael Del Zotto, defence
Why: Like the Predators, Sabres, Thrashers and Kings, the Blue Jackets land themselves another pick. After grabbing Wilson sixth overal, the Blue Jackets will use this pick to land the defencemen everyone thought they would pick up back then. The best bang for their buck is Michael Del Zotto, a hulking strong blueliner who already has the size. He may be under 6 feet, but you don't feel it on the boards.

21. New Jersey: John Carlson, defence
Why: Unfortunately for the Devils, now is a good time to find the guy to one day take Martin Brodeur's reins. You won't find it in this years draft. Instead, the Devils will take John Carlson, from Indiana in the USHL. He's a big kid, well filled, and should look great in New Jersey. Even if the Devils don't take Carlson, expect whoever the Devils pick to play in the NHL one day.
22. Edmonton: Joe Colborne, winger
Why: Poor Oilers. With the Ducks pick, they seem to be stuck with who the Ducks likely would have taken. 6'5" center Joe Colborne might not become the next big Joe in the NHL, but sure has an attractive amount of size. He is likely a work in progress for the Oilers, and in several years, could be someone to rely on the wing.
24. Minnesota: Erik Karlsson, defence
Why: The Wild seem to be a factory for gret defencemen, with Kuba and Mitchell coming out of their system. Expect the factory to continue working. Erik Karlsson is a little on the small side, but the Swede can move, and the Wild will mold him into whoever they want.
25: Montreal: David Toews, winger
Why: Bob Gainey has a tendency of choosing the best possible player, whether or not his position could be filled. This is why he has picked two straight defencemen high in the draft, and took Carey as 5th overall. While the Habs might have their eyes on the big Grachev at center, David Toews has a lot of potential, and coming from the Superstar factory of Shattuck, he wouldn't be a bad pick for the Habs.
26: Buffalo: Evgeny Grachev, center
Why: Montreal may end up kicking themselves if they end up playing Grachev eight games a year. The big russian is a great presence down the middle, and in a few seasons, could come in on fire. Him and Bailey will look good in Sabre uniforms down the road, especially if one of them gets to set up Vanek.
27. Philadelphia: Greg Nemisz, center
Why: Nemisz is a big kid, just like how the Flyers like them. The Spitfire had a solid season, but will have a lot of room to improve as well. He should be a star on the Phantoms before seeing time as a Flyer.
28. Los Angeles: Jordan Eberle, center
Why: Losing out on Stamkos doesn't hurt the Kings too much. Especially if Eberle surprises everyone like some have predicted. Eberle has received comparisons to Joe Sakic, but don't put too much into it. If only the Kings knew what to do with their youth...

29. Detroit: Anton Gustafsson, center
Why: Where Detroit drafts, be it 29th or 30th, it really won't matter since their needs will not mix. It's no surprise that the Red Wings go after a Swede. After a solid season in the Super Elite league, Gustafsson is a strong pick for the Red Wings.
30. Atlanta: Jake Gardiner, defence
Why: If Atlanta does pick 30th, I doubt the Penguins mind (with the Cup). If they pick 29th, the pick will still be the same. Gardiner, a high school draft pick from Minnesota, where they seem to breed more hockey players than anywhere else in the U.S., will make a fine work in progress and likely won't play until Doughty is 24. That said, Gardiner should have a great career with the Thrashers, who are building for tomorrow.

i think you forgot the sniper who will likely be a top 6 pick

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I was thinking the same thing once I never saw his name in the top 10 but he left him off completely.

I also doubt Pieterangelo slips to eight. If the Leafs passed on him to get Beach I would be ****in pissed. The Leafs are in no position to draft particulars.....they need the BPA. Pieterangelo definitely fits that bill
If the Leafs went with Beach I don't think pissed would begin to describe how I'd be feeling. Considering the attitude and the concussion situation no way do I want the Leafs looking at the guy. If Pieterangelo is actually still there at 7 you definitely take him no questions. If he's not there maybe that missing Boedker guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad