London Knights 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don''t think that the league would adopt this form of cumulative punishment, since it imposes a penalty on individual players based upon previous infractions by team mates. Given the length of the Sawyer Bolton suspension earlier on, the next Knight player should get 12 games ???

How would that be fair ? Punative suspensions have to be meted out based on the individual infraction, and if the individual happened to have a "history" of same conduct, only then should that become a consideration in determining the length of suspension. Just my opinion, and others are welcome to disagree.
Not what I’m saying at all. Not really anyway. I just suggested that the O’Reilly suspension was not only punitive, but should be a deterrent for he and others going forward. That suspension wasn’t enough of a deterrent to prevent Lawrence from doing what he did. And the Lawrence ejection, wasn’t a deterrent enough to keep McCue from doing what he did shortly after.

As I said, I was just spitballing.

yacky

Jun 28, 2018
5 games is very excessive, the league is wrong on this one, accidental contact or not, the message it's send is it's ok to skate around with your head low.

And this league wants to curb out head injuries while encouraging it's players to just go ahead and skate with their head low, with this game's speed, good luck preventing head injuries. IMHO
11Arnsby of North Bay Battalion got 6 games for same hit

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Think I mentioned game 1 or probly game 2..... get anything stupid out of the way ( thinking was don't carry over susoensions to rd 3)
I'm not saying KL purposely hit with intent to injure but he did catch him unsuspecting and high.
Now they just gotta deal with KL first half of next series. ( thats where itll be felt more)
Oh well, more draws for Julien, McC and SoR.
#2 stays in.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Motew likely done , travesty my ass, should have got more

I said it would be 5 when it happened, they have to crack down on these head shots. Swick got 5 recently for pounding someone's head
So when you said "about time" you meant that it was about time you were right?

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I wonder if the events of the series had an impact on the length of suspension? O’Reilly blindside resulting in suspension. Then Lawrence / Motew. Then shortly after that, the McCue / Brzustewicz blindside.

Could it be the league is sending a message to the team that they aren’t “getting it” regarding head shots / blind sides? Even after O’Reilly, we got Lawrence on Motew. Even after that, we got McCue on Brzustewucz.

The O’Reilly suspension wasn’t enough to curb Lawrence? The Lawrence major wasn’t enough to curb McCue?

Just spitballing.
How long is it going to take, for anyone to learn, because, it is very obvious their suspension method is certainly not working, and for and for a very long long long time.

Take two vehicles on a head-on collision course, the one in the wrong lane is not watching, what is the other driver to do? He turn to the shoulder the other car may do the same, he goes to the other lane, the other may decide to do the same, if he stays in the lane, the other may stay there as well. You see the complication with no eye contact, if there is eye contact there is a better chance they'll miss. It's a similar situation on the ice when there are no eye contact, you don't know where to go or what to do, In Kaleb Lawrence's situation (in this case the whole ice surface is one lane), he was along side and a little ahead of Motew, if Lawrence stop on his track to evade, Motew runs in to him still head first, if Lawrence speeds up he runs into McCue, the only thing left for him is try to go in between players, that didn't work either, just like the league endless and useless suspension, it won't work either.

Get serious, and start teaching the kids to play hockey the right way, or start punishing proper players on their own merits or coaches not teaching the proper way, I don't know, and from the looks of things they (the League) don't know either

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
I don''t think that the league would adopt this form of cumulative punishment, since it imposes a penalty on individual players based upon previous infractions by team mates. Given the length of the Sawyer Bolton suspension earlier on, the next Knight player should get 12 games ???

How would that be fair ? Punative suspensions have to be meted out based on the individual infraction, and if the individual happened to have a "history" of same conduct, only then should that become a consideration in determining the length of suspension. Just my opinion, and others are welcome to disagree.
Agree strongly with this. They must have thought this intentional, perhaps there was video footage of the "alleged wink to the Knights bench" by Lawrence alluded to on the Kitchener page (for the record I have zero evidence of this, just saw it mentioned).

In terms of cumulative punishment for many players of the same team having suspendable offences one would think it would be curbed/rectified by progressive fines then sanctions/loss of draft picks charged against the team. Just my opinion.

How long is it going to take, for anyone to learn, because, it is very obvious their suspension method is certainly not working, and for and for a very long long long time.

Take two vehicles on a head-on collision course, the one in the wrong lane is not watching (in this case the whole ice surface is one lane), what is the other driver to do? He turn to the shoulder the other car may do the same, he goes to the other lane, the other may decide to do the same, if he stays in the lane, the other may stay there as well. You see the complication with no eye contact, if there is eye contact there is a better chance they'll miss. It's a similar situation on the ice when there are no eye contact, you don't know where to go or what to do, In Kaleb Lawrence's situation, he was along side and a little ahead of Motew, if Lawrence stop on his track to evade, Motew runs in to him still head first, if Lawrence speeds up he runs into McCue, the only thing left for him is try to go in between players, that didn't work either, just like the league endless and useless suspension, it won't work either.

Get serious, and start teaching the kids to play hockey the right way, or start punishing proper players on their own merits or coaches not teaching the proper way, I don't know, and from the looks of things they (the League) don't know either
You need to ask which player was attempting to make a play on the puck, and which was creating illegal interference that ended up in an injury. Until you can see that side of the coin you will remain frustrated.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Well he didn't do this, he ran a pick play and made initial contact to the head.
That is what happened , it wasn't his plannig to do, Motew wasn't the only player fighting for the same piece of real estate, but was the only one the wasn't aware who was on it with him. Even if the league decide to eliminate all contact, in this situatiion, there still would have been contact, Lawrence had no place to go but hope for the best

Reactions: zman77 and dirty12

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I believe this is the root of our disagreement. I believe he 100% intended to run a pick play.
I am 100% saying this is the result of a broken up criss-cross play finishing up in a fast closing in three player triangle, where one wasn't watching his surrounding and got accidently clocked in a no longer avoidable collision

Reactions: zman77 and dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
5 games is very excessive, the league is wrong on this one, accidental contact or not, the message it's send is it's ok to skate around with your head low.

And this league wants to curb out head injuries while encouraging its players to just go ahead and skate with their head low, with this game's speed, good luck preventing head injuries. IMHO
The precedent for encouraging players to be unaware of their surroundings was already set, and I think reinforced with the six game suspension for Arnsby.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
I see both sides to the arguement of no suspension vs multiple games. Originally thought it could range from 0-6 games and posted that. These judgements are just that, judgement - very subjective. If the league wants to err on the side of the injured (head) player, I won’t complain. Health and safety first. It’s not 1999 anymore.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The precedent for encouraging players to be unaware of their surroundings was already set, and I think reinforced with the six game suspension for Arnsby.
The rule in this league for head checking is any contact with the head. No if, ands or buts.

That’s where this rule differs from the NHL where there are grey areas.

Reactions: rangersblues

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
As long as Hache's daddy doesn't interfere with the leagues decision (His dad works is a director in the OHL) he should be getting games as well.

I thought 5 games was steep. Motew will likely not play for the rest of the playoffs even if Kitchener had a chance in hell (we dont lol, )
I think Hache is more likely get 2+ games because of Daddy. It will be easier for the league if Hache has a previous slew foot penalty.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The rule in this league for head checking is any contact with the head. No if, ands or buts.

That’s where this rule differs from the NHL where there are grey areas.
And this rule has lead to players not learning to properly care for their own welfare, and coaches not teaching players to hit and absorb hits
Edit: and increased embellishment

Last edited:

Otto

Take two vehicles on a head-on collision course, the one in the wrong lane is not watching, what is the other driver to do? He turn to the shoulder the other car may do the same, he goes to the other lane, the other may decide to do the same, if he stays in the lane, the other may stay there as well. You see the complication with no eye contact, if there is eye contact there is a better chance they'll miss. It's a similar situation on the ice when there are no eye contact, you don't know where to go or what to do, In Kaleb Lawrence's situation (in this case the whole ice surface is one lane), he was along side and a little ahead of Motew, if Lawrence stop on his track to evade, Motew runs in to him still head first, if Lawrence speeds up he runs into McCue, the only thing left for him is try to go in between players, that didn't work either, just like the league endless and useless suspension, it won't work either.

You'd be on to something if you said one of the drivers decided to open their door before the collision

• Haha
Reactions: Fastpace

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
I watched the hit again and I agree with Matt93. It looked like he was trying to create space for McCue. I saw him glance over the way of Motew and skate in that direction but he then looked away and glided in Motews direction. When the contact was made his bicep was at his side when he made contact with the head. So, that all being said it was a head shot but there was no intention what so ever just how their bodies lined up. If Lawrence did not know where he was going and it was incidental then I would say no suspension but because he glanced and knew then it deserves a 2 game suspension as there was no intention of a head shot.

Matt93

Sep 30, 2005

This article is the first time I saw the McConnell-Barker hit. The OHL is correct in that they are different. McConnell-Barker stopped (or almost stopped) and tried to avoid contact with Oke. Lawrence knew what he was doing and continued through the hit on Motew.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

This article is the first time I saw the McConnell-Barker hit. The OHL is correct in that they are different. McConnell-Barker stopped (or almost stopped) and tried to avoid contact with Oke. Lawrence knew what he was doing and continued through the hit on Motew.
I agree that he was suposed to stop, but in his case from the time he realized he and McCoy's play was broken to the collision, he only had 3/4 of a second to react from his speed, there were no time for him to do so. Slow-mo if you will and count the time on the clock. I don't wish Motew injury, but I hope he is learned something, if he didn't, permanent injury for him won't be long a coming

Otto

I agree that he was suposed to stop, but in his case from the time he realized he and McCoy's play was broken to the collision, he only had 3/4 of a second to react from his speed, there were no time for him to do so. Slow-mo if you will and count the time on the clock. I don't wish Motew injury, but I hope he is learned something, if he didn't, permanent injury for him won't be long a coming
This just reeks of "she shouldn't dress like that"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad