London Knights 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Faceoffs mean very little in the grand scheme of a hockey game and we have 5 forwards with at least ~200 faceoffs taken with over a 50% winning percentage and Julien is at a 58.3% rate.

More than anything, this team needs consistent offensive threats. The recent successes have been derived from hot streaks from Julien, McCue, and Gazizov, and while I would love to believe that they can sustain this level of play McCue and Gazizov are very streaky/inconsistent offensive players.

Given the return on a extremely mediocre player in Konnor Smith (an '07), prices this deadline are going to be nuts. If Smith can fetch an 07, think what Edward and George can get the Knights.
Really (?) Bring out the numbers, we'd like to see them.

As far as winning face-offs, they can go 60-40, they'd be improving their chances, but what they really need is an expert face-offs man. They have not been winning the very important ones, losing games this way. If they don't improve the circles, they are risking for their opponents a better opportunely to scores at their most unfortunate times. IMHO

• Haha
Reactions: Knights77

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Add a Dubois and not lose anything from the back end by trading emack. Dubois gives us a legit top 9 forwards. Our forward group is tough as nails. Don’t wanna mess with them

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
The Knights usually have a cupboard full of young players who can't crack their lineup but could play for a lot of teams in the league, would Nicholl be expendable in a Dubois trade if the Petes needed a player back vs. picks?

Nicholl has great upside but would not be a huge contributor this year. He is the Mathew Paris of this knights team and see him very much a big chip to play in a deal.

There is a log jam at the 2006/2005 year on this team.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I have a good feeling about Dubois. We’ve already made a deal that seemingly worked for both us and the Petes this season so why not another? Beck is a pipe dream (I would not give up O’Reilly for him if I were Mark as Sam O has too much upside and is already a big part of our forward group. He’s looking like a 2nd or 3rd round NHL pick…

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I have a good feeling about Dubois. We’ve already made a deal that seemingly worked for both us and the Petes this season so why not another? Beck is a pipe dream (I would not give up O’Reilly for him if I were Mark as Sam O has too much upside and is already a big part of our forward group. He’s looking like a 2nd or 3rd round NHL pick…
Expect O'Reilly to go in mid first round between tenth and twentieth in my opinion

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Expect O'Reilly to go in mid first round between tenth and twentieth in my opinion
Are you serious?? He’s going in Rounds 3-5

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

Sure am, he's ahead of Cowan at this time last year at both side of the puck, for a matter of fact he's closer to NHL bound than anyone else on this team now. I know, I know I am crazy, right, it's how they play without the puck that first interest the scouts, not necessarily how many goals scored. O'Reilly is on the ice killing penalties in his first year and on the ice in the last minute of plays and on power plays, beside leading all rookies in scoring, if I am a scout I want a can't miss players, and he's as sure as one of them at mid-season of his rookie season

Reactions: zman77

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Is this a mental exercise? Cause I cannot fathom the Knights dealing any of the Top 4 D.

It's a discussion board--these are all mental exercises. The Knights have been buying for a number of consecutive seasons, and despite fleecing Niagara repeatedly, the draft pick cupboard is getting bare.

If the going rate for Konnor Smith is an 07, then it should be something that is entertained. At some point, you have to sell off some assets and it is quite clearly a sellers' market.

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
LDN is probably the closest with round two or three. Fastpace, while very optimistic, is closer than tjziel with his prediction.
My prediction? O’Reilly to Boston with their second pick.

Reactions: TheCoach

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I see O’Reilly right now as a late second early third round. If he continues to perform and has a great post season I could see him inching closer to an early 2nd round pick.

I was surprised Cowan was a first last year but this year I would be absolutely astounded if Dickinson was not a top 5 pick.

And no, I cannot see us moving any top four D. Maybe we move a Wooley for a 2nd if he wants playing time but we are going for a championship!

Reactions: Wifi

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I see O’Reilly right now as a late second early third round. If he continues to perform and has a great post season I could see him inching closer to an early 2nd round pick.

I was surprised Cowan was a first last year but this year I would be absolutely astounded if Dickinson was not a top 5 pick.

And no, I cannot see us moving any top four D. Maybe we move a Wooley for a 2nd if he wants playing time but we are going for a championship!
You say "now" O'Reilly in the second round, and I can not disagree with you here. I am however projecting and adding three more months of season play and playoffs of overall hockey development to his name and yes I am seeing him going in mid-first round in this year NHL draft

Reactions: zman77

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
The team's current " log jam" is primarily composed of defenders. With current players on the roster, and given what's in the pipeline, it might just be possible to put out a defender as trade bait. It's a position that's seemingly in high demand, and given the stature of our regular d-men, one would have to think that one of them would command a premium price. A seller's market helps to elevate the value. Any thoughts on what the price tag might be on a guy like Leonard ( only using as an example ) since he could be replaced by promoting Wooley ?
Proven players are typically valued more highly than picks, so why not deal from our strongest position ?
Pure speculation on my part with absolutely no inside information relied on. :popcorn:

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
The team's current " log jam" is primarily composed of defenders. With current players on the roster, and given what's in the pipeline, it might just be possible to put out a defender as trade bait. It's a position that's seemingly in high demand, and given the stature of our regular d-men, one would have to think that one of them would command a premium price. A seller's market helps to elevate the value. Any thoughts on what the price tag might be on a guy like Leonard ( only using as an example ) since he could be replaced by promoting Wooley ?
Proven players are typically valued more highly than picks, so why not deal from our strongest position ?
Pure speculation on my part with absolutely no inside information relied on. :popcorn:
This is an interesting take.. An unlikely scenario but I get where you are coming from..
To me if you see yourself as a contender I can't move Dickinson, George or Bonk.
Not sure the value is there to give up a Leonard.
Where I could see the return vs internal replacement would be a Jackson Edward. I think he brings a haul and I think you slot up a Leonard then Wooley and you are golden.
I don't think it'll happen but since we are going through " mental excerises " I could stomach that for the right return..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad