London Knights 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 7)

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Reading the Gennies thread and the fact they are missing 3 key players

Um...so are we
But according to the Gens fans the players they are missing have a bigger impact on them then the ones we are missing.
Ummm...no.
We are missing one of our top 4 D men.
We are missing a top Center that was one of our top point getters and top face off man in the playoffs before hie suspension
And we are missing the heart and soul of the team's physical game plan. But no excuses on this side. Next man up.
Do they actually think having those players in the lineup would make an 8 goal a game difference? Delusional.

Lack of depth isn't an excuse
Exactly. Don't hear us whining about Brochu being out in the finals last year. Suck it up, put on your big boy pants and play the game.

Reactions: PhlyerPhanatic31

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
What was the explanation when London lost to Peterborough in last year’s finals - - did injuries impact the outcome or was Peterborough just the superior team?
Good point but that series was pretty darn close through all the games. My point is I find it hard to believe that Gens lack of depth is a valid excuse and that having 1, 2 or all of your injured players playing would have made an 8 goal difference in either of the first 2 games. Last season, would Brochu have made a difference in the finals? Probably. But it was what it was and we didn't go whining about it.
It's playoff hockey and stuff happens. We're missing 3 of our better players as well but we keep rolling.

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
As far as I’m concerned, it’s high time we did a crossover reseeding at the final four, especially in a year the OHL hosts the Memorial cup. Had there been a reseeding this year, the conference finals would have been London vs North Bay and Saginaw vs Oshawa.
That’s an excuse. Rules have been the same for each team for years. Doesn’t need changed at all

What was the explanation when London lost to Peterborough in last year’s finals - - did injuries impact the outcome or was Peterborough just the superior team?
Peterborough won fair and square London had their down fall. It’s how the game is played.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
That’s an excuse. Rules have been the same for each team for years. Doesn’t need changed at all
It does if you’re looking for a competitive final. No matter the format, London is the likely champ this year. But when your league final is on national TV, it would be nice to have a reason to stay tuned in past the first period.

These games were over after 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjziel

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
We played the hand we were dealt.
Both teams iced their best available lineup. Petes won fair and square (corners)!
Knights, the team, played way too careful in my opinion when Brochu went down, worked well against Sarnia, the Sting were not a defensive team. In the final they failed to pick up the pace, instead they played a defensive style, we had the offensive team but did not play like it. The problem was the Pete's were already a defensive team with experience to begin with, that is not without giving Petes some credit for their win. The Knights should have been the better team, and did exactly the same thing in 2019 against Guelph in games 4 and 5 , giving them momentum to build on. And in 2012 against Shawinigan Cataractes in the M cup finals when the Cataractes were playing their 4th game in 5 nights, sometime teams got to know when to go for the kill (pedal to the floor) in short series or one game finals, keep that momentum don't give them a chance. IMHO

M21

Oct 10, 2021
Was not Romani, 58 goals in the regular season, out for North Bay in the Eastern final?

Reactions: jamemcca

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Game 3 in Oshawa will be quite a bit more difficult. I think they’ll have Punnett, Buckley and Senecke (spelling please)

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Punnet & Senneke are needed more by Oshawa than Mallioux & Cowan by London last year.
A kid who wasn’t even on their team a few months ago And a draft eligible 17 year old who scored 60 points?

The only two players that were raising Oshawa above the level of the Sarnia Sting ? Interesting theory.

Reactions: LDN

rve24

Oct 26, 2022

I know your not referencing me but I'll add......
Yes, Peterborough was superior.

Peterborough was the team that imposed its will and system in the finals. Their trap, attention to detail and will to buy into the D first system and wait to counter was top notch. Thought it after game 2, mentioned after game 3, series was over.
Brochu woulda gave em a shot, much more so than any 1 skater in a series could as Gs can have that affect but I never mentioned it once. ( at least LK kept the games close without the best G in the league.....the most important position on a team)
Shwa with their missing bodies playing and LKs still out.......I just feel this series is still 2-0 LK.easy.
But I'll admit a #1 D, top 3 F, n top 6 F out is bigger than a 5th D and 2 3rd line players out but definitely not a difference in the way these games played out.

Much ado about nothing really.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
But according to the Gens fans the players they are missing have a bigger impact on them then the ones we are missing.
Ummm...no.
We are missing one of our top 4 D men.
We are missing a top Center that was one of our top point getters and top face off man in the playoffs before hie suspension
And we are missing the heart and soul of the team's physical game plan. But no excuses on this side. Next man up.
Do they actually think having those players in the lineup would make an 8 goal a game difference? Delusional.

Ummmmmm.....No,
LK are missing 2 3rd line players and a 5th D.
And I'd argue McC is the heart n soul of their physical gameplan as he throws more hits n is more effective at it than Sim
Put it this way, I'd trade healthy LKs 3 out for Shwas healthy 3 out for this year's POs and next year easily.......AINEC.
No need to over sell a moot point and lean towards hyperbole.
Both teams missing players and I never use it as an excuse but cmon. The talent and importance to each team aren't close.
I like Sim n JL and AL( more than most on here did and earlier )

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I am thinking London will play the more careful game tonight, it most likely won't be shellacking like the first 2 games. What do you all think?

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
No issue with PP1 out there. It’s the championship series, not a random blowout game in November. And PP2 did see more time with the game out of reach on the last few powerplays.
You can’t converse with GeneralsUpdates. Any criticism of his team, he goes into attack mode. Not surprised he’s tweeting about London in that way.
haha I don't see GeneralsUpdates anymore I got blocked for being a reasonable human :naughty:

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I am thinking London will play the more careful game tonight, it most likely won't be shellacking like the first 2 games. What do you all think?

I think if Oshawa still has large gaps from F to D and the easy outs are there allowing odd man rushes they gotta keep taking them. It's a young Oshawa D and no readon to not keep looking at that advantage until they can take it away.
But I do not expect the same result in that Oshawa should be a bit better at it after 2 games of film but who knows.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
If Oshawa has a chance they need to play a tight trap and send only one in on the forecheck.

Any time it’s in their possession in the defensive end they need to ice it regardless on whether they are fresh.

They can try to change to man on man coverage but that will breakdown as they wouldn’t be able to match the knights speed so best to stay with a collapsing box. The problem is London will find lanes and the Oshawa D are not strong enough to move the bumpers out of the slot.

At this point they also can’t take a penalty but somehow have to get under the knights skin. The knights are dialled in and it would take a lot to get there but maybe deliberately shooting the puck into someone’s face…. the knights would certainly deliver a knuckle sandwich in return and a power play.

Reactions: rve24 and Fastpace

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
For all intents and purposes, tonight feels like Oshawa's season is on the line. Game 3 is the to me the most important game in any 7 game series and if Oshawa wants even a lick of hope, they need to pull a rabbit out of a hat tonight.

As other mentioned, if they don't get those injured players back tonight, their back end is too young and deep and will continue to be exposed.

Reactions: Fastpace

bearfan

Jan 8, 2015
OFFICIALS
Referee I: Scott Ferguson (35)
Referee II: Sean Reid (26)
LINESMEN I: Ryan Card (83)
LINESMEN II: Brian Birkhoff (91)

Reactions: Fastpace

jimbarrou

May 17, 2016
London
I ignored and unfollowed Generals Updates on social media many many moons ago. Guy is as biased and arrogant as they come. I’d rather listen to a Jack Edwards podcast than have to read his horrible takes.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Oshawa is a much better team than the 2 one-sided loss in London. All their players except for one are OHL qualified players with a minimum one full year of experience behind them. London played them extremely well, at a pace to cut down time and space, making General players panicky once they get behind. This pressure made them getting away from their game plan, and out came individual efforts from their more elite players. Oshawa has something to prove tonight in a pivotal game, lose it's 3-0 series lead for London, win they are right back in it. All games can be pivotal games, but for this old boy here, it's always been #3 and 4.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
haha I don't see GeneralsUpdates anymore I got blocked for being a reasonable human :naughty:

It’s so pathetically weak to censor people whose viewpoints don’t mirror your own.

Part of it is the ego power trip that little fellows get from being able to decide who’s allowed to comment and who cannot, but far too many pom pom wavers can’t handle any criticism of their favourite team or player.

Reactions: All the Answers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad