London Knights 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
youngblood10 said:
Otto, you're business savvy enough to know you're being ridiculous right now. If you're not I have lots of painted rocks, I mean gold nuggets I'd like to sell you.

I am business savvy enough to know when someone is just out for a payday. I fail to see how the plaintiff is entitled to $60,000. Unless it's for court costs.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Suppose for a second the Knights win this lawsuit. Is it unresonable for me to then suggest they counter sue for damage to their reputation and further ban this "fan" from all future games and team related events. If he is a STH then give him his money back and tell him to pound salt there are plenty of people on the waiting list. I am not a collector i have a hard time wrapping my head around paying 3500 for a hockey sweater. As someone who doesn't understand the hobby this appears to me like a crackpot speculator who is not a fan but is into potential profit. Judging from his lawyers association with the CHLPA suggests that for the lawyer this is probably about something else and there likely won't be any legal costs. Again just my uneducated point of view

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Suppose for a second the Knights win this lawsuit. Is it unresonable for me to then suggest they counter sue for damage to their reputation and further ban this "fan" from all future games and team related events. If he is a STH then give him his money back and tell him to pound salt there are plenty of people on the waiting list. I am not a collector i have a hard time wrapping my head around paying 3500 for a hockey sweater. As someone who doesn't understand the hobby this appears to me like a crackpot speculator who is not a fan but is into potential profit. Judging from his lawyers association with the CHLPA suggests that for the lawyer this is probably about something else and there likely won't be any legal costs. Again just my uneducated point of view

You can be a collector and a fan at the same time, they aren't mutually exclusive. The amount seems high but at the same time there needs to be financial punishment or what's to stop it.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
You can be a collector and a fan at the same time, they aren't mutually exclusive. The amount seems high but at the same time there needs to be financial punishment or what's to stop it.

That's the only thing that rubs me a little. Personally I would have been more apt as a "superfan" of the Knights to have found a solution behind closed doors. One that would have satisfied my immediate needs (full refund or accepted the HHOF jersey) and also ensured that down the road this doesn't occur again. But there are two sides who knows perhaps he tried this route?

Anyway let's not detract from the countdown to the season. Bring it on, I like what the team has done so far and am desperate to know who will be returning and who will not? Burkie don't be a roadblock and send back "Chuckie".

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Win or lose the Knights lost and the fan win

The Knight's reputation is already damaged and they would appear as trying to ganging up on fan(s)
On the other hand the collector and collectors in general won no mater the outcome, other teams not just in the O's but all over will think twice before trying to sneak something by the collector(s)

This is an out of court settlement as the Knight's as no purpose in going to court, they have nothing to gain no mater what happen, Even if London win in court the fan(s) still will have won.

Last edited:

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Anyone going to the parade?
I think I'll just head down to the Bud for the autograph signing (and maybe ring presentation). Anyone know which entrance?
Edit:
Janne Kuokkanen arrives in London tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

$60,000 = 17 "gameworn" $3,500 jerseys or 1/4 of gate receipts of one game at the Bud.
If one has to settle and have to put a price on ones integrity might as well ask for that $60,000.

Otto

If 60 grand is the price tag to expose someone actions as fraud...so be it.

And if $1,000,000 is the price to expose Tim Hortons coffee for being too hot.. so be it?

I agree with the "superfan" comment above... if the Knights are found guilty so be it.. but the asking price is ridiculous and it would have been better to be settled before reaching this point. Our court system is tied up enough as it is.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
And if $1,000,000 is the price to expose Tim Hortons coffee for being too hot.. so be it?

I agree with the "superfan" comment above... if the Knights are found guilty so be it.. but the asking price is ridiculous and it would have been better to be settled before reaching this point. Our court system is tied up enough as it is.

Would it be better if someone came to the man and offered him $58,000 for the Marner jersey? Would that make the lawsuit more acceptable?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I saw a guy offered 250 bucks for a Gretzky rookie card on the Pawn Master show just the other day. It was in great shape. rated at a 7 I believe. Said the retail value was 500 bucks. Marner has already out shone that by the bucket full going by what his jersey is worth now and he hasn't played a game in the NHL. Good for Marner. Great kid.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
If 60 grand is the price tag to expose someone actions as fraud...so be it.

On top of all the time spent having to prove that the jersey was a fake. The time having to communicate with the Knights. That run around. The time aquiring legal counsel, those fees, court costs. etc... These are all damages due to the Knights organization fraudulent action.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
On top of all the time spent having to prove that the jersey was a fake. The time having to communicate with the Knights. That run around. The time aquiring legal counsel, those fees, court costs. etc... These are all damages due to the Knights organization fraudulent action.

Don't forget Whiffen going through the media and anything he said about the person.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That's the only thing that rubs me a little. Personally I would have been more apt as a "superfan" of the Knights to have found a solution behind closed doors. One that would have satisfied my immediate needs (full refund or accepted the HHOF jersey) and also ensured that down the road this doesn't occur again. But there are two sides who knows perhaps he tried this route?

Taking the Knights to court and punishing them is the best way to ensure this doesn't happen again. The Knights have deep pockets relative to other junior outfits, but this sort of thing will scare the **** out of other teams and lower the likelihood of them trying to commit fraud with game worn jerseys.

If what this guy is saying is true, the Knights faked a gamer. So to satisfy his immediate needs, there would need to be some form of punishment for that in order to deter other organizations from feeling they can get off the hook for doing the same thing. He is trying to stand up for his hobby.

If he took the easy route to just get his jersey, it would do nothing to stop this from never happening again.

I'm a Sens fan, and if they did this to a fan, I'd be all for him going after them despite the fact that I like to cheer for them. Even if you identify with a team, it isnt' a good reason to let them off the hook for general dicklike behaviour such as "allegedly" trying to screw over a fan hardcore enough to pay 4000 for a jersey.

Otto

I saw a guy offered 250 bucks for a Gretzky rookie card on the Pawn Master show just the other day. It was in great shape. rated at a 7 I believe. Said the retail value was 500 bucks. Marner has already out shone that by the bucket full going by what his jersey is worth now and he hasn't played a game in the NHL. Good for Marner. Great kid.

Let's be realistic here. Card vs. Jersey and it's in the US... so a) it's probably a Topps card... not worth as much as an OPeeChee and b) Hockey Cards are not as sought after in the US as they are in Canada.

The latter point is why I shake my head at card auctions on ebay that state they will not ship to Canada

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
After them trying to make it right realizing they mde a mistake getting the sweater out of the Hall and that wasn't good enough I hope the guy loses. I am certain somebody made a mistake but at the end of the day a mistake is only a mistake until it is corrected. This guy wouldn't let that happen and I hope the guy loses. THE Mem Cup winning MVP jersey wasn't enough ? Screw him.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
So ...I go online and find a car dealership is auctioning a 2007 Honda Accord LX. Blue, 50,000 km. Guaranteed pre-owned by a recently retired school teacher and driven to work and home each day for 8 years.

I bid $3500 and win the auction. My online payment clears -- the dealership has my money. I love Hondas and am thrilled. Maybe I collect Hondas (takes all kinds).

I contact the dealership to arrange pickup/delivery. They don't reply. Weeks pass and finally they tell me that the car I purchased online is in the Honda Museum now but I'll get it really soon. I warn them to give me what I bought ASAP or I'll sue them.

More weeks pass and someone from the dealership emails me to say the car I bought isn't in the Honda Museum at all and they have it ready for me to pickup.

I travel to the dealership and discover a green 2006 Honda Accord EX with 150,000 km on it. I say, "WTF? I didn't buy this! And who put on the bumper sticker that says, "Grandma's Do it Best"?

The dealer smiles and says, "This is the car you bought. Take it or well give you back your $3500, your choice. But whichever option you choose, you must sign this confidentiality agreement and never disclose what occurred."

Would you take back your money? Accept the car you didn't buy? Sign a confidentiality agreement?

Or would you tell them to stick it and pursue an alternative remedy?

I know what I'd do.

I

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
After them trying to make it right realizing they mde a mistake getting the sweater out of the Hall and that wasn't good enough I hope the guy loses. I am certain somebody made a mistake but at the end of the day a mistake is only a mistake until it is corrected. This guy wouldn't let that happen and I hope the guy loses. THE Mem Cup winning MVP jersey wasn't enough ? Screw him.

I don't think "mistake" is the correct descriptive of what happened. What happened sounds both intentional and malicious.

And the Knights didn't try to correct the mistake - they tried to force him to sign a confidentiality agreement designed to cover their own misdeeds. If they were serious about correcting this it would have occurred weeks ago.

It's extraordinary to me that there are people siding with the team on this.

Otto

So ...I go online and find a car dealership is auctioning a 2007 Honda Accord LX. Blue, 50,000 km. Guaranteed pre-owned by a recently retired school teacher and driven to work and home each day for 8 years.

I bid $3500 and win the auction. My online payment clears -- the dealership has my money. I love Hondas and am thrilled. Maybe I collect Hondas (takes all kinds).

I contact the dealership to arrange pickup/delivery. They don't reply. Weeks pass and finally they tell me that the car I purchased online is in the Honda Museum now but I'll get it really soon. I warn them to give me what I bought ASAP or I'll sue them.

More weeks pass and someone from the dealership emails me to say the car I bought isn't in the Honda Museum at all and they have it ready for me to pickup.

I travel to the dealership and discover a green 2006 Honda Accord EX with 150,000 km on it. I say, "WTF? I didn't buy this! And who put on the bumper sticker that says, "Grandma's Do it Best"?

The dealer smiles and says, "This is the car you bought. Take it or well give you back your $3500, your choice. But whichever option you choose, you must sign this confidentiality agreement and never disclose what occurred."

Would you take back your money? Accept the car you didn't buy? Sign a confidentiality agreement?

Or would you tell them to stick it and pursue an alternative remedy?

I know what I'd do.

I

Couple of points.. you neglected to say that you had a vested connection with the company perhaps a shareholder (season ticket holder) And that Honda said that they have obtained the car from the museum for you.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Couple of points.. you neglected to say that you had a vested connection with the company perhaps a shareholder (season ticket holder) And that Honda said that they have obtained the car from the museum for you.

...but that they would only give it to you if you signed a confidentiality agreement stating you wouldn't tell anyone what they'd tried to pull over on you (even though that was not a condition any other auction winner had to fulfil in order to receive what they purchased).

shootscores

Jul 11, 2010
totally agree with you superdee. Anybody stupid enough to throw away over 3 grand on a sweater of a Junior player obviously has more money than brains. If you want to throw money like that out on a jersey in the OHL then it better be on the next big thing, not Marner. I like his game but I am not even sure he will be a top NHLer. My kids could use some money for their bills, maybe you could throw some extra money there way.

I love coming on this board to mostly read London Knights hockey rumors etc. but etc. does not include legal ramblings for pages and pages. Make another thread exclusive to this matter so only those interested in it have to read. There has to be more interesting tidbits to write about.[/QUOTE]

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009

They didn't make an honest mistake - they knowingly tried to trick the guy and rip him off. Huge difference.

If I rob a bank and am caught - as long as I give back all the money, does that mean I don't get charged and go to prison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce