London Knights 2015 Off-Season Thread (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
1. Sean Day is maybe 30 lbs overweight and got cut from Hlinka;

2. We need an experienced stay at home d-man (not tomorrow but at least by trade deadline);

3. Please stop doing line projections that involve Marner at LW of all positions - really you should just assume he's at C;

4. Let's discuss goaltending

5. Werenski pls :handclap: :cry:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
What are you guys expecting from OMac and Yak this year? Would like to see more consistency from both of them, or they both could quickly find themselves on the fourth line/out of the lineup, depending on what we see from the five new Americans. I'm hoping for them to be important pieces to the bottom 6, we don't have much experience and these two have been around for a couple of years now.

Also, I'm excited to see Marner play at centre but I hope splitting up Marner and Dvorak won't hurt either player's production.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
From what I can recall (in August), Dvorak was more than fine when he played w/o Marner. And if Marner starts to dump w/o Dvorak he has his own problems.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

So be it...
More importantly, the article mentions that Matt Tkachuk scored his 4th goal of the camp, and stood out among the U.S. hopefuls.
London will ice (at least) two high scoring, dynamic lines that I look forward to watching.
As for Yakomowitz...I've never really been a big fan. However, he did score 13 goals last season with '3rd line minutes', and without PP time. I like his speed, his shot, his grittiness, but sadly, he has hands of stone. Omac has a great work ethic, but he is unable to cash in on many scoring chances, i.e. no finish. I put him in the camp of 'expendables' along with Nother, Giogovaz, Henderson, Vella, and a few others.
Evan Bouchard seems to be turning heads, e.g. Gold Cup, then U17. He's the blue chip prospect that teams might covet if the Knights come calling, looking to make a move at the deadline.
Looks like Latorella won't be attending the Knights' camp--he'll likely play for his new USHL team.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
As JS eluded to I'd be more concerned with Days mindset than the xtra weight. Or maybe better put "why" was the weight put on. Some atheletes can carry xtra pounds without crushing fitness levels ( thou it's not optimal) others its a huge issue. No idea with this kid, but I'd tread carefully, n do the homework if they are interested.

Marner is a C, so is DVO. ( maybe late in a game when your down u use em together, but other than that let them help elevate others games, not each other's. Lots of new bodies up front)
Even when a potential addition of Werenski or Day was brought up, I felt we needed another vet def D. If I'm Basil I look to add 2 D total, and some young D move the other way.
If it's a go for year ( if DVO/Marner return) you can justify flipping any D outside Mete, Martenet, Euro to strengthen that back end for now.
I'm not saying give em all up ( you need some age balance moving forward) But I'd consider Crawley,Jamieson( I'd move him, despite being a vet) ,Nother,Gleason, Bouchard as tradeable under the right circumstance. None are huge chips but could be fits elsewhere that help in a deal.Or bring back a pick or two.
I really like Parsons battle and unlike some others, would take a wait n see approach and go for that piece at deadline. It gives him a chance to develop and if last year deadline repeats, the cost for that OA, or last year guy might drop. Of course every years different but I'd risk it.
I like OMacs do anything attitude n hustle but I think it can be replaced with Ryshma ( with more upside) and Rsyhnas role last year as a developing C/W can be replaced by Thomas (although he's going to have to really push to earn ice)
I think this squad needs Yak in the lineup. Yes there's some penalties, but I want that type guy in the lineup. The PIMs go with the territory. Skates well enough, is def responsible, can handle himself, will stand up for team.
He, Hidi and Omac showed what that type line can do in a series and the value they can bring when POs come.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Why is jones not invited to the U19 camp but tkachuk is? They are both top prospects but were is the separation on the US roster.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Just be aware that he (and any player in his situation) has to say that. Until he is not returning to UofM, he's returning to UofM.

I'm not saying he will or wont come, just remember the context

Snippet - That's for clearing up that I was indeed joking. Guess I need to work on my material!

I disagree, Werenski has said he was open to either, and it's not like this was a live interview where he was pressed for a comment. He could have said nothing. It seems to me that Michigan is his destination for this season.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I disagree, Werenski has said he was open to either, and it's not like this was a live interview where he was pressed for a comment. He could have said nothing. It seems to me that Michigan is his destination for this season.

No problem, you're entitled to your opinion.

Don't you think though, that if he had said nothing, a lot of people would have taken it to mean that he WAS likely coming? A non denial, denial?

I've just seen it before with recruiting, both in hockey and in business. You can't say anything until it's official - its the way these agreements work. He's committed to UofM until he's not anymore.

Look at Tim Lieweke of MLSE (soon to be formerly of MLSE). Some time ago, news was broken that he was set to leave MLSE. Immediately he came out and vehemently denied the "rumours" even going so far as to call them lies. Soon after, he (or MLSE) announced that the rumours were true, and that he was leaving - turns out the reports were correct, but he was not yet allowed to announce it.

But again, and maybe you missed it in my post, I don't mean to insinuate he is or isn't coming....just that I wouldn't have expected him to say anything differently than he did (that hes returning to UofM) regardless of what his plans are currently.

Personally, I couldn't care less whether he ends up in the OHL so it's not as if I've got any skin in the game.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Why is jones not invited to the U19 camp but tkachuk is? They are both top prospects but were is the separation on the US roster.

You mean U20, no? Tkachuk is an older birth year than Jones - he's a 97 but he was born after the draft cutoff, so he's done his U17/18 years w/ NTDP.

Jones is a 98 and, while talented, there's nothing about his play that would warrant an invite to U20 camp at this stage. He didn't play at U18 yet, either.

If Jones made WJC, or was even invited to the winter try out camp, it would be a surprise.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London

Don't you think though, that if he had said nothing, a lot of people would have taken it to mean that he WAS likely coming? A non denial, denial?

I've just seen it before with recruiting, both in hockey and in business. You can't say anything until it's official - its the way these agreements work. He's committed to UofM until he's not anymore.

Look at Tim Lieweke of MLSE (soon to be formerly of MLSE). Some time ago, news was broken that he was set to leave MLSE. Immediately he came out and vehemently denied the "rumours" even going so far as to call them lies. Soon after, he (or MLSE) announced that the rumours were true, and that he was leaving - turns out the reports were correct, but he was not yet allowed to announce it.

But again, and maybe you missed it in my post, I don't mean to insinuate he is or isn't coming....just that I wouldn't have expected him to say anything differently than he did (that hes returning to UofM) regardless of what his plans are currently.

Personally, I couldn't care less whether he ends up in the OHL so it's not as if I've got any skin in the game.

You're right, until you actually return to University of Michigan, that what you say because you are currently enrolled, but on the flip side, everyone said Jeremy Bracco was considering coming to the OHL and he said he wasn't coming North and he is actually attending Boston College..... So it can go both ways.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

On Aug 3rd the athletics website had a feature on him that mentioned he was returning. We have this from the CBJ website saying he's returning. Does he have to go into a lecture hall, study room, dress for practice and show up at Yost for people to believe it? Hockey people are back tracking from draft time rarely will they admit they are wrong and they're just trying to make themselves look good.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
On Aug 3rd the athletics website had a feature on him that mentioned he was returning. We have this from the CBJ website saying he's returning. Does he have to go into a lecture hall, study room, dress for practice and show up at Yost for people to believe it? Hockey people are back tracking from draft time rarely will they admit they are wrong and they're just trying to make themselves look good.

Ok. Last time I am going to clarify this, as it seems I'm not explaining myself very well...

He is currently enrolled at UofM. Therefore, he will be suiting up for UofM when their season starts in the early fall.

That could change today, tomorrow, next week etc. or it could not change at all.

Remember when Alan Walsh, agent for Pavel Zacha totally slammed the Sting org for selecting Zacha because there was no way he was coming to North America? People change their minds and people have agendas.

What was said over twitter is a statement of fact. He is enrolled there and will be playing 15/16 with the Wolverines. I wouldn't expect them to say differently.

He probably isn't coming. He maybe never was going to come. I just don't think (FROM EXPERIENCE) that a denial today rules out any chance of that changing.

Again, I AM NOT SAYING HE IS COMING TO LONDON....only that the denial that was quoted above is exactly what you would expect to hear from his camp until an agreement is in place.

Apologies for hijacking this thread - my point seemed pretty obvious, but perhaps I'm the one off base here - even though my experience and common sense tell me otherwise.

may know

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
The only thing that can change anything with Werenski is if Columbus signs him. Then he can't go back to Michigan.

I guess by him stating he's going back to Michigan it means Columbus isn't signing him.

Or maybe he's pressuring Columbus to sign him.

Right now out of the top 15 players drafted that haven't signed only 5 remain. Zacha (6), Werenski (8), Gurianov (12), DeBrusk (14) and Senyshyn (15).

Werenski doesn't hold the hammer. Michigan doesn't hold the hammer. And neither does London.

Columbus does.

edit: Sonny Milano signed with Columbus on August 16 last year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I still believe they're 2 different circumstances. Milano de-committed from Notre Dame late and signed with BC quickly and he was still part of the USDP. Werenski on the other hand fast tracked his education and has already played in the NCAA. Milano never experienced the NCAA he never knew what it's like. Werenski has and maybe he just wants to stick in the NCAA for 1 more year or so.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
The only thing that can change anything with Werenski is if Columbus signs him. Then he can't go back to Michigan.

I guess by him stating he's going back to Michigan it means Columbus isn't signing him.

Or maybe he's pressuring Columbus to sign him.

Right now out of the top 15 players drafted that haven't signed only 5 remain. Zacha (6), Werenski (8), Gurianov (12), DeBrusk (14) and Senyshyn (15).

Werenski doesn't hold the hammer. Michigan doesn't hold the hammer. And neither does London.

Columbus does.

edit: Sonny Milano signed with Columbus on August 16 last year.

^ This

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Been following the Knights Off-Season.......wow it's interesting to say the least. Been wondering something if you were an NHL Team other then the Leafs and you had a prospect that had his OHL rights secured by London would you be apprehensive to send him to the Knights thinking that perhaps the Leaf prospect might get preferential treatment? The connections between the two organizations are pretty obvious and do you think it might influence an NHL GM? Agreed if the player is the next coming of McDavid it doesn't matter he will get his ice. But what about the slightly less obvious?

I know a lot of knowledgable folks think this is a slam dunk year coming up for the Knights but the word "Chemistry" keeps creeping up in my mind? It will take a strong coaching staff to bring all these kids together. Several of them have high end expectations for their future it could be a challenge to say the least. Bring on the regular season and let's see where it all ends up!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
No one should be thinking slam dunk.
They are still a young group, althou talented with Mete, Tkachuk, Marner, DVO, Parsons, Euro D et al but ya it'll be interesting to see if the room comes together quickly or not.
Still gotta see if there's a surprise at nhl camp n someone sticks.
Lots of new bodies.
Chemistry is so important as is buying into roles as you suggest.

Wait n see I guess but the good thing is competition for PT and a roster spot for some bubble guys should drive the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad