London beats Kingston 14-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
This is the situation that happened between the capitals and panthers last season...I believe it was either FLA's gm or owner who cried foul when the Capitals ran the score up on them, even after Jagr and Lang didnt see a shift the entire 3rd period...if a team is playing that terribly, they deserved to be embrassed...IMO, a player on the losing end of that situation, is going to walk away having learned more then if you would bench your best players just so they can learn "class" by not running up the score...forcing a someone to play their complete game, even if they're getting embrassed out there, builds character

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
sec17 said:
You can sure tell some people didn't see the game at all.

Perry only saw about three shifts all third period long, and he happened to score on one of them. The third and fourth lines played almost the entire third. It's not London's fault when everything they throw at the net goes in, regardless of whether it's a lob from the point or a poke in front of the net.
Exactly - I guess these people want London to skate around like they're killing a penalty, cycle the puck, and shoot wide all game. You come to play. If you don't have enough skill or intestinal fortitude to step it up and stop the other team, too friggin' bad. Shame on you people who call London classless.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Hey, you want professionalism? Yell at the Kingston kids. They're the ones who didn't show up and act like professionals. It's a cruel world, and if they (collective they) don't want to show up to their job... or don't want to perform their job expectations, they deserve to be embarrassed by those who DO perform their job expectations. Maybe next time they'll decide to show up to avoid that embarrassment.

Should teams who are clearly winning the division, say, 43-4-2 also throw a game or two just because the next team is 19 points behind them in the Western Conference, and there should be more competition? Should Gretzky not have scored 894 goals, 1963 assists in his career because, frankly, there's a snowball's chance in hell of anyone catching that record? After all, if he was truly altruistic, he would have stopped before he passed his idol Gordie Howe's record.

Are things like that going to make you happy? You'd prefer people not try as hard so those who aren't as skilled/competitive have a chance to catch up? Doesn't sound like a sport, to me. Sounds like a movie script.

quite, and may i say, indeed.

Exactly - I guess these people want London to skate around like they're killing a penalty, cycle the puck, and shoot wide all game. You come to play. If you don't have enough skill or intestinal fortitude to step it up and stop the other team, too friggin' bad. Shame on you people who call London classless.

also spot on.

You play and sometimes you get bombed, what's wrong with that? Next time you play harder and get your shots in, get a win, that builds character.

bruins4777*

Crosby, Gretz, Lemieux, Jagr, the 80's generation and all of those high scorers are all classeless...sure.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
their kids. let them have some fun, you play for 60 minutes, you are told to go out and play hard and try to score as many goals as possible in those 60 minutes. I don't know whats the big deal with this. When your team looses you say it's classless and when your team WINS than it's not classless. :shakehead

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Hockey isn't a game like football where you can run the ball up the middle three straight plays and punt or like baseball where you can go up and take 3 strikes.

If you play soft in hockey you could get your assholio knocked out. It's not a game where you can show mercy really.

My team was up 9-4 in a game on Sunday, what did I do? Scored two more. If you don't show up to play, don't complain about a team kicking you around.

(I realize that a beer league is different than juniors, but the same principles apply)

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I can't believe some of the responses on this thread. If you are on the winning team you show respect for the opponents by continuing to play hard against them. If you start toying with them, putting out your worst players, scoring only between your legs etc. then THAT is disrespect.

And if I am on the losing team I WANT the winning team to continue to try hard against me. Giving up and making it easy for me would be disrespectful- taking it easy is what you do when you are playing against your kids or younger siblings etc.

Hotdogging over your margin of victory though is another matter.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
For me, in a blowout like this. The final score is not the factor to determine if a team was classless or not.

It's the millions details like if they have play the 3rd and 4th line a bit more when leading by 5 goals up, if they have keep their game honest or have start to play with a more "cookie" attitude, if they have celebrates the 12th goals more than the 2nd one, etc...

There are ways to keep playing and scoring in a game AND showing you respect the other one: Stop playing your game is not one of them btw.

In this regard, i cant say anything about London attitude since 14-1 mean squat to me except that London had a good game and Kingston didnt show up.

I'll had 1 thing, stop saying that Kingston should have start playing when the game was 6-1 and up please. They didnt show up, that's true but hockey is a game all about momentum and when the game is out of reach to this point 7-8-9 to 1, you have a hell of a good chance you wont find a way to stop the other team even if you raise your level a bit. I say: keep the game simple, act with class by not playing cheap shots and fights as long as the other team respect you.

Mar 4, 2003
Ottawa
The Frontenacs were brutal...it was embarassing. But it was more a night for the Knights, everything that could have gone right for London did and everything that could have gone wrong for Kingston did. The other games they played were much closer, so it's not like Kingston is absolute crap...they are actually one of the biggest offensive teams in the OHL this year.

Hulton put it right though..."If it's chalked up as a loss in the column, it doens't matter if it's 1-0 or 14-0."

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
andora said:
well if the other team obviously has nothing on that given night, which is obviously what happened, why the need for 14-1.. i understand the never let up and agree, but up to a certain point.. 7-1, 8-1, even 9-1.. but when a team is as bad as kingston apparently was... it just seems silly..

which instances are you talking about in the nhl with similar scores? there was that washington / florida one i think, but other than that in the past several years?
If you were in attendance, and your team starts running up the score, what would you do, leave? Dale Hunter expects his guys to give it their all and compete for 60 minutes, and that is exactly what happened. I might feel bad for Kingston, but the truth is when you don't show up against a team with that kind of firepower, you deserve to get what they got!

DLMDLM

Aug 24, 2004
London Ontario
My two cents after being at the game.

Kingston got off to a bad start 3 goals on 3 shots.

Showed life when they got the pp goal in the first.

Lights out.... 8 goals in the second.

Kingston could have played better and the Knights played a very sound game.

Not one player for Kingston played great and as the game went on they allowed more and more odd man rushs. With the talent the Knights have they are going to score a ton of goals if you keep giving them two on ones.

The knighs never hit a post or crossbar, very few blocked shots or missed nets. Most shots happened to hit the top corners.

Kingston gave no pressure when penalty killing. They just let the Knights pass it around with ease.

Schremp had a bad game and ended up with 3 assists.

First time in a private box.... best seats in the house.

Believe me or not. The Kights have run into an unbelievable amount of hot goaltending this year if not this game would be the norm. instead of the exception.

Watch out Petes! You aren't going to get a 6-2 victory fri. cuz the Knights are rolling now

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
DLMDLM said:
Kingston got off to a bad start 3 goals on 3 shots.

Showed life when they got the pp goal in the first.

Lights out.... 8 goals in the second.

Kingston could have played better and the Knights played a very sound game.

Not one player for Kingston played great and as the game went on they allowed more and more odd man rushs. With the talent the Knights have they are going to score a ton of goals if you keep giving them two on ones.

The knighs never hit a post or crossbar, very few blocked shots or missed nets. Most shots happened to hit the top corners.

Kingston gave no pressure when penalty killing. They just let the Knights pass it around with ease.

Schremp had a bad game and ended up with 3 assists.

First time in a private box.... best seats in the house.

Believe me or not. The Kights have run into an unbelievable amount of hot goaltending this year if not this game would be the norm. instead of the exception.

Watch out Petes! You aren't going to get a 6-2 victory fri. cuz the Knights are rolling now
Good point DLMDLM, on London having faced some hot goaltending this season. I think that lends to the fact that Kingston really just was not prepared. When London started the year the way they did, they made every other team in the league sit up and take notice, and when you are playing the best team in Junior hockey, you tend to get really psyched and elevate your game to try and knock them down when you are given the chance. Kingston on the other hand who has played London much closer in their earlier meetings, rather than sit up, they laid down and rolled over. True, the start was tough, with London scoring 3 goals on 3 shots, but the game was by no means out of reach. In the 2nd they needed to come out and take some of the air out of London's sails, but did not show up, did not compete, and the end result as you stated was an 8 goal 2nd period, which was clearly to much for Kingston and any other team in the world to come back from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad