Lombardi's thoughts on the Bernier trade

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Some tidbits from the telecom this afternoon with DL courtesy of the Mayor's twitter:

LAKings Lombardi talking about this is an 'asset deal' that's designed to 'keep your team together' ...

Classic Lombardi on the call. He's clearly not happy that the $500K in cap relief aspect came out. Seems he was asked to not mention by TOR

LAKings Lombardi - 'We'd like to see Jones take another step in his development'

LAKings Lombardi on @Matt_Frattin - 'upgrades our speed, adds to our grit, shows up in the scoring areas too...liked him v Chara in 1st rd'

LAKings Dean Lombardi - 'It's very difficult to get market value for a guy who is going to be a number one goalie.'

LAKings Lombardi says they're still talking to Scuderi - 'We're going to continue to plug away on that...we'd love to have him back'

LAKings Lombardi says this deal was key t o get done 1st because it gives more certainty on cap - now first call will be to Scuderi

LAKings Lombardi on @Dustinpenner25 - says he had a feeling out with his agent recently...now he can see what's next after dust clears

LAKings Lombardi talking very positively about what @Willie_Mitch33 means to the team and how good a player he is.

LAKings Lombardi on @BudHolloway talks - 'We're still plugging away'

On Darryl Sutter's gutting it out while being hurt:

DL on Sutter surgery - 'I don't want him to get ANY sympathy at all...he clearly was aware of it during lockout and told to fix'

#LAKings Lombardi says on some days Sutter couldn't even get up.

Lombardi said Sutter didn't have surgery earlier because he wanted to prove to players the importance of playing injured. WOW!

The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 1m
Much of what Lombardi said about Sutter's injury was done in a joking manner. That doesn't translate too well to twitter.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Sutter once had his foot nearly cut in half in a farm accident. He just wrapped it in barbed wire to hold it together while finishing the day's work.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Dude.....

Sutter, jesus man , Like Sutter has to prove anything.

But kudos coach, you are one tough son of a Bit$%ch.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Not surprised to hear the comments on Jones, Martin Jones was almost outplayed by an UFA backup in Manchester.

Jones came on strong to end the year, but jesus dude....

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I am sure they saw a lot of Frattin at UND. He had 36 goals that year, when Forbort was a Freshman there...Hextall's son, Brett, played there as well that season.

Frattin:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=101560

Frattin's last yr at UND

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0005822011.html

7 goals in the first 10 games this year was impressive. (all even strength) Just worried that he didn't score again in his last 18 games, after coming back from knee injury. Only Carter and pre-2012 Kopitar are really capable of scoring goals like that. Hoping he can return to form...both Frattin and Kopitar. lol

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Not surprised about Sutter. He must think this generation of players are a bunch of prima donna *****ies...

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Also check out Frattin's contributions to the Toronto Marlies. Sadly whenever he's on fire, he ends up getting some kind of injury that he struggles to recover from...

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I am sure they saw a lot of Frattin at UND. He had 36 goals that year, when Forbort was a Freshman there...Hextall's son, Brett, played there as well that season.

Frattin:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=101560

Frattin's last yr at UND

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0005822011.html

7 goals in the first 10 games this year was impressive. (all even strength) Just worried that he didn't score again in his last 18 games, after coming back from knee injury. Only Carter and pre-2012 Kopitar are really capable of scoring goals like that. Hoping he can return to form...both Frattin and Kopitar. lol

His shooting percentage during that span hovered around 50% though...

You'll have to get used to Frattin's feast or famine-like production. When he's on he looks like a 35-40 goal scorer, when he's not -- and here's the part you can rely on -- he's still a very conscientious player. In short, his dry spells may seem frustrating, but he never gave me the impression he was hurting the club... I hope Bernier is what I've read many describe, because in Matt Frattin you're getting a player with the kind of potential a talented club like LA could really bring out of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad