Lombardi, Sutter both fired; Robitaille promoted Kings' president, Rob Blake VP & GM

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Each of the deals are understandable if maybe not wise.

If Sekera was resigned no one would talk about it. Guess DL thought he had a chance.

Richards was still on the roster in 15 with a significant salary. Shed him and bring in someone else with that money. DL did not get off either. Still eating up space on a team that needs all it can get.

Browns not really. Yea he was decent in 2013 but you could see in the playoffs he was starting to decline, but he was loyal to his captain so i get it.

Lombardi was smart not to pay Sekera 5.5 million a year, same with Lucic last year.

Peter Skudra

Nucks fan since '02
Nov 10, 2013
Seattle with JNelson
Sutter lost the room, Kopitar all but confirmed it in his comments after the last game.

I blew off the locker room stuff from two years ago but I guess there was more to it.

DL in a nutshell.

1-Didn't buyout Richards for free and use that money elsewhere.
2-Gaborik's deal to lower the cap hit. (risky given age and injuries)
3-Voynov (just sucks all around)
4-Greene over Mitchell (It's a wash in the end but Mitchell was better on the ice)
5-Lucic (short sighted)/Sekera/Bishop=I get the reasoning but he failed to recognize and adapt to what the league was becoming. Cost prospects for what became nothing really, which hurts an up against the cap team.
6-Should have fired Sutter this year.

How the hell was that Lombardi's fault?

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
So will they commit $8-10 million to these two guys or use them as trade bait?

Closer to 7. They are still RFA"s and it's not like cap is going up lots of teams with cap issues.

Not worried about the offer sheet those things are going the way of the dinosaur

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ok now thats its died down a bit. Lets all remember Lombardi as a complete ******* who throw any vet under the bus when they no longer performed well. As a guy who stuck by a wife beater until the very end, mostly because said player was still good

Good riddance Lombardi, I sincerely hope you never get an NHL job again

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
How the hell was that Lombardi's fault?

Uhhhhh

uhhh

I dont know, maybe sticking by the side of a wife beater is bad?

DL in a nutshell:

Good player whos a wife beater: let him practice with team and stick by him. hell even take a $100K fine to allow wife beater to practice with you
Bad player gets caught with painkillers: Gross, terminate contract and separate yourself, mostly get out from contract tho

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Closer to 7. They are still RFA"s and it's not like cap is going up lots of teams with cap issues.

Not worried about the offer sheet those things are going the way of the dinosaur

That might be optimistic given that Toffoli made $3.25 million this year and will certainly want more in his next contract (deserved or not). If they are lucky they'll get Pearson for $3.5 million. Will be a good test of the negotiating skills of the new management team!

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Uhhhhh

uhhh

DL in a nutshell:

Good player whos a wife beater: let him practice with team and stick by him. hell even take a $100K fine to allow wife beater to practice with you
Bad player gets caught with painkillers: Gross, terminate contract and separate yourself, mostly get out from contract tho

muh hockee honor

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Browns not really. Yea he was decent in 2013 but you could see in the playoffs he was starting to decline, but he was loyal to his captain so i get it.

Lombardi was smart not to pay Sekera 5.5 million a year, same with Lucic last year.

The thing about Sekera and Lucic is that resigning them was untenable.

Sekera maybe not so much but Lucic (even if he helped for a year) was an obvious rental.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Ok now thats its died down a bit. Lets all remember Lombardi as a complete ******* who throw any vet under the bus when they no longer performed well. As a guy who stuck by a wife beater until the very end, mostly because said player was still good

Richards was given a chance, he wasn't bought out. You can argue he needed more support. DL loved that guy. Raved about him always. Richards chose his path. DL tried to trade him but that fell through becasue of Richards.

Voynov was unresolved for the majority of that 15 season. The practice thing was strange.

He cut Stoll (probably took the fall) who he would have brought back after the party incident.

Top goalie prospect Bartosak was released outright for doing what Voynov did.

I think that summer of 14 after the second cup hurt DL a lot.

Peter Skudra

Nucks fan since '02
Nov 10, 2013
Seattle with JNelson
Uhhhhh

uhhh

DL in a nutshell:

How did he stick by him? His contract got voided.

gambitlebo

Apr 28, 2006

What are you talking about? Throw a vet under a bus? I'm assuming you mean Richards? The same guy he (DL) didn't buyout when he had the chance because Richards assured him he (Richards) was actually training in the offseason and re-dedicating his self to hockey?

The same "bus" DL was willing to throw Richards under when DL was willing to pay another team to take him and give him a shot at playing more minutes and be more of a leader? That is, until Richards was found with a prescription pad and oxy without his name on the bottle?

I don't care what ended up happening months/years later, no one has hindsight. Facts are, it was enough of an issue to break off the trade talks and having Richards' doctor girlfriend break up with him.

In that situation, DL allowed his loyalty to a player that lied to his face get in the way of making the correct business decision. BTW, what's Richards done since?

If that's your definition of "throwing someone under the bus", I would gladly be thrown that way if I'm screwing up my life after multiple chances to fix things.

As far as Voynov, he did what was correct in that situation as well. I know we live in a society where we want justice without blinking, but that is garbage. We have a court system and the right be to "innocent until proven guilty".

Voynov never played another game with the Kings after his arrest. They allowed him to go through the court process, which by the way, the league was ok with.

I've never liked this nonsense of pronouncing guilt or innocence through the media. I'm an American, I fully believe in due process of the law. In this case, Voynov admitted to his crimes and was correctly punished*. In other cases, the Duke 'rape' case leaps to mind, it can be proven as wrong but it doesn't change in people's minds.

I had the same discussion with Helene Elliott with the LA Times. From the first report, she was on twitter and in the newspaper demanding Voynov be thrown out of the country and banned from ever re-entering the moment the police report was released. Saying the Kings FO should be fired for not releasing Voynov ASAP...etc

Ok, I get it but she is in the media and that's a dangerous position to take without having all the facts. Let the police and the courts do their jobs before passing judgement.

Months later, on twitter, she was having a great time tweeting about women's soccer team blowing out China (? I can't remember the team). Anyway, I asked her what exactly was the difference in what Voynov did compared to Hope Solo?

Solo has had several domestic issues, where she was both the aggressor and the victim, with her husband. At the time, she had recently been arrested for attacking her under age nephew and sister. For her crimes, she was suspend 1 day from her pro team and 0 games from the National team and here was Elliott cheering her and her teammates on.

In fact, the biggest difference was the courts threatened to put Voynov's wife in jail if she refused to testify against her husband while a different court allowed Solo's sister and nephew to drop the charges. I still don't get that one.

I asked if Elliot was against domestic/child violence as a whole or only when it is committed by men? She said as a whole. I asked if she was going to write a similar article condemning Team USA and their fans for cheering for a team with a player who has a history of domestic violence in the same fashion she attacked the Kings, NHL and it's fan base because Voynov wasn't deported the day after his arrest, before he had his day in court?

That, she never responded to and never wrote an article about it. I'm left with to conclude that she is against male domestic violence only. Sad.

It's kind of funny, you bash DL for not getting rid of Voynov fast enough, yet after the Voynov's issue, you bash him for getting rid of Richards too fast?

Interesting way to think, I guess.

gambitlebo

Apr 28, 2006
Let him stay and practice with the team, only taking on a $100K fine to do so

That was a players only practice.

EDIT: actually, now that I remember it, it wasn't even a full team practice. The Kings had several days off. Some of the players decided, on their own, to get some work done at the training center. Voynov was there, which by the NHLPA he had the right to be there, and the players let him join in.

There was no coaching staff there and it wasn't an official team practice. That's why Sutter received no complaint from the league. The league ruled that DL should have told the players they couldn't practice with Voynov at the team center.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I love how DL gets it on both ends for Richards.

"I can't believe you stuck by him and didn't buy him out!" in one breath, and "lol threw him under the bus, what an *******" in another.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I love how DL gets it on both ends for Richards.

"I can't believe you stuck by him and didn't buy him out!" in one breath, and "lol threw him under the bus, what an *******" in another.

Haters going to hate.

At the end of the day, people are hired in sports management positions to be fired. Kings fans are lucky their organization hired the guy who made the most impactful trade additions to multiple Cup winners over the last 25 years.

I honestly bet Dean isn't even pissed about it. He's got 2 rings, and he'll get another chance as soon as he wants it. I also bet he has leanred a lot over the last 3 years.

I'll be real interested to see what Blake does with the DB/MG contracts.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I like Darryl, he had a great run and the Kings won two cups under him. There really can't be a negative take on that.

That said . . . Sutter teams are boring as ****. It's just all those brothers know. We had a long period of Sutter brand hockey in Calgary and it generally sucks to watch. Just my opinion.

But that said, the Kings won twice and that's hard to do plain and simple. They have a deep fan-base now and it'd be nice to see them get a barn-burner team (not there aren't a few exciting players now, it'd just be nice to see a few more elite offensive talents there).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'll be real interested to see what Blake does with the DB/MG contracts.

Guessing he bites the bullett and buys out one of them (Browns cap hit would stick till the mid 2020's tho). Going to be really hard to trade either, even with sweeteners

The thing about Sekera and Lucic is that resigning them was untenable.

Sekera maybe not so much but Lucic (even if he helped for a year) was an obvious rental.

Yea but Sekera isn't worth 5.5/year, Lombardi did the right thing and didn't match the offer. Instead he got Muzzin & Martinez combined for just 2.5 million more per year.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I wouldn't be shocked if a team turfs their GM now and brings Lombardi onboard. I could see him being brought in to further the Sabres rebuild, maybe oversee the Islanders?

I think Dean Lombardi learned a lot over the past few years. He obviously already knew how to build a winner from the ground up. Now he probably knows he shouldn't sign marginal players to retirement deals.

Buffalo would be a good place for him to land.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Sutter lost the room, Kopitar all but confirmed it in his comments after the last game.

I blew off the locker room stuff from two years ago but I guess there was more to it.

DL in a nutshell.

1-Didn't buyout Richards for free and use that money elsewhere.
2-Gaborik's deal to lower the cap hit. (risky given age and injuries)
3-Voynov (just sucks all around)
4-Greene over Mitchell (It's a wash in the end but Mitchell was better on the ice)
5-Lucic (short sighted)/Sekera/Bishop=I get the reasoning but he failed to recognize and adapt to what the league was becoming. Cost prospects for what became nothing really, which hurts an up against the cap team.
6-Should have fired Sutter this year.

It's Kopitar and Doughty's team now. No more excuses.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Robataille is understandable, the Blake move is a little more out there.

Why? He spent three years with player safety @ the head office, and has spent the last 4 seasons as Lombardi's right-hand man. Thats more experience than Yzerman had.

I wouldn't be shocked if a team turfs their GM now and brings Lombardi onboard. I could see him being brought in to further the Sabres rebuild, maybe oversee the Islanders?

Either could work, but i think Pegula is tight with Murray and wants him to see through the rebuild. Islanders would be a really good fit, he would be a great choice to finally bring them to contender status.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Loyalty is what really cost him, guys like Brown & Gaborik got long term deals worth big $$ because of how they played during cup runs.

In regards to Richards, he was still able to circumvent himself out of that one and rid of him for a lot less than a buyout, to be fair.

Still could of gotten out of it with zero ramifications, plus Richards would of received the entire amount of his contract instead of a lesser amount, I believe.

Even though Lombardi had a long leash in June of 2014 when he decided not to buy Richards out, I'm now thinking that AEG wasn't keen on dumping millions of dollars just to get rid of a guy so it may not of been as easy as Lombardi saying "We have to get rid of the guy".

Still on DL but with the moves AEG has made with Luc/Blake and talking about business synergy, it may not have been easy for DL to get AEG to cut Richards a check for $50MM or whatever he was owed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad