Logo change, Jersey change, but why no Name change?

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
As we all know, teams like to make jersey changes and name changes from time to time, but how come no name change? Is the process complicated or is there something else? For example, if a team like Carolina wanted to change their name to 'Thunder', is it not possible? The only time we could see a new name is by a team moving locations or a new team coming in, but not an existing team changing it's name.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
As we all know, teams like to make jersey changes and name changes from time to time, but how come no name change? Is the process complicated or is there something else? For example, if a team like Carolina wanted to change their name to 'Thunder', is it not possible? The only time we could see a new name is by a team moving locations or a new team coming in, but not an existing team changing it's name.

Anaheim changed their name. They ceased to be mighty and won a cup.

More recently, the Coyotes changed their name from Phoenix to Arizona.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I feel like you wrote that wrong . But from what I'm thinking is they wanna build a brand

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
you can change your name. doing it isn't recommended however. changing a uniform is often just to keep fresh with changing fashion. the name remains the same and consistant.

the lucky teams are teams like the Yankees and Red Sox and Celtics and Bulls and Blackhawks and Rangers who have classic uniforms they don't need to change.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
A more relevant question: Why would a team change its name? What would the point be?

Last edited:

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
A name is a brand, and brands have value. It makes no sense for 99% of the NHL to change theirs.

The only future name change that would make sense is Las Vegas because currently the "Vegas Golden Knights" has very little value.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
A more relevant question: Why would a team change its name? What would the point be?

I can see it in a very rare situation like a mass tragedy which caused the team with a related name to feel the need to change it. If a fire killed 100 people in Calgary they might consider a name change for example(I realize the history of the name but I mean a current tragedy with the associated PR). Otherwise there's not really a purpose but if a new owner came in and decided he hated the existing name then he can change it if he wants I guess as long as the league approves(which might be the real reason there aren't more name changes)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Changing the name actually wouldn't be a bad brand move if there was a team that was so hopeless with such a terrible reputation that they could change the name and initiate a full rebrand as a way to completely relaunch hockey in that area and get away from what negative connotations the previous team name had accumulated. It is hard to think of a team that has been a big enough joke for this to even be a possibility, but one that would come to mind might be what the Oilers would have been pre-McDavid if they didn't play in a supportive Canadian city like Edmonton, and didn't have the 80s dynasty history attached to their name. If they were the Houston Oilers who joined the NHL in the late 90s or something and were that bad and just got McDavid, I could see the potential in selling fans on "change" by overhauling management and completely changing the team brand+name.

The only other way I could see a wholesale name change is if there was new ownership who for whatever reason were so attached to the idea of a different name or a name change that they were willing to risk having to partially rebuild the brand to do it. Like if the owner of the Vegas team bought the Maple Leafs he'd probably have changed them to being the Toronto Maple Knights.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Minnesota Wild should drop the Wild. It is beyond lame and unappealing. Makes me think its even holding them back some!
Same goes for Colorado Avalanche.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Changing jerseys/logos keeps some continuity - you can still have retro nights to re-use old jerseys (maybe even sell heritage jerseys) but the name is the same so it's still the same team in the minds of the fans. Changing the name would seem like a new team, like a rejection of the old branding, which fans are emotionally attached to, so sort of a slap in the face to the fans.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Brand establishment and recognition is hard to re-attain. You don't want to confuse or lose your casual audience that supports your franchise.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Same reason people change their hairdo and fashion but almost never change their name. It's your identity and it takes years for some of these teams to build their brand and identity. Changing it hurts team's brand identity.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I can see it in a very rare situation like a mass tragedy which caused the team with a related name to feel the need to change it. If a fire killed 100 people in Calgary they might consider a name change for example(I realize the history of the name but I mean a current tragedy with the associated PR). Otherwise there's not really a purpose but if a new owner came in and decided he hated the existing name then he can change it if he wants I guess as long as the league approves(which might be the real reason there aren't more name changes)

Even then, it probably wouldn't happen. North Carolina is literally in the middle of hurricane country, and it's not like they chose that name by accident. There have been two hurricanes with death tolls over 20 North Carolinians since the Whalers moved: Floyd in 1999, just two years after the relocation, took 57 lives, and Matthew just this past October took 28.

And you'll never guess how the hockey team reacted:

http://www.canescountry.com/2016/10...urricanes-assist-nc-victims-hurricane-matthew

The Hurricane name is too valuable, especially locally. It won't get changed until the team gets moved to QC. :sarcasm: If the NFL and MLB are completely unwilling to change the name/mascots of some teams despite there being at least some actual controversy, why would any team just change it out of the blue? A small minority would enjoy the name change but would be fine with the name as is. A huge majority would be really annoyed, and would speak their mind on social media, and would refuse to buy new merchandise.

So, in short, after the impending bearpocolypse, I expect my hockey team to not only keep their name - I want them to help out the folks in the Boston area.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
A name is a brand, and brands have value. It makes no sense for 99% of the NHL to change theirs.

The only future name change that would make sense is Las Vegas because currently the "Vegas Golden Knights" has very little value.

unless your the pelicans in the nba

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8

What would be the point?

You change your name and you create confusion. You want to establish a brand. You dream of becoming a household name. Can you imagine if Coca-Cola suddenly changed their name?

The jerseys are changed often for a very simple reason. Revenue.

Andon

Oct 23, 2016
Same reason people change their hairdo and fashion but almost never change their name. It's your identity and it takes years for some of these teams to build their brand and identity. Changing it hurts team's brand identity.

This is a good point. My last name is really bad, it has no relevant family line and the little bit of history attached to it is actually halfway offensive. But eh, what can you do, maybe marry someone with a great name :laugh:

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
Oil Tankers, to keep with the Oil theme.

Exactly.

Keep the existing colors and incorporate this into the current logo somehow...

tanker-clipart-1.jpg

That would be money.

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
Team nicknames are brands now, unlike MLB in the early 1900s where they were just something made up by the fans or newspapers instead of using "New York American Baseball Club". Now that teams name themselves, it doesn't make as much sense to change names.

Minor league baseball is going through a slew of name changes across the leagues as teams are trying to build their own identity separate from the parent organizations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad