GDT: Logan Mailoux vs Kitchener Rangers 4pm Roger's Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Do you have a sense yet of where you rank him in our d prospects pool?
Mailloux’s combination of size, mobility, shot and offensive awareness will have him on the team before most of our heralded defensive prospects. As I noted in my initial assessment of Mailloux, if he gets a bit faster and stronger, Mailloux will be dangerous.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mailloux’s combination of size, mobility, shot and offensive awareness will have him on the team before most of our heralded defensive prospects.

Could it be that we hit with 1st round picks 3 drafts in a row? Caufield, Guhle, and Mailloux and our 2nd/3rd rounders disappoint? I think we will have a few surprises from the 17-21 draft years. Both good and bad. It's a lot of picks!

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Do you have a sense yet of where you rank him in our d prospects pool?

Number one for RD.
As far as our entire D pool goes, he has very high end tools but the jury's still out on the toolbox. He is very raw and hasn't played much at a high level. Even though he already looks like a man playing with boys, he'll need another full year in the OHL to continue his development both as a player and a person. I look forward to seeing how he fares vs OHL contenders.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Number one for RD.
As far as our entire D pool goes, he has very high end tools but the jury's still out on the toolbox. He is very raw and hasn't played much at a high level. Even though he already looks like a man playing with boys, he'll need another full year in the OHL to continue his development both as a player and a person. I look forward to seeing how he fares vs OHL contenders.

Like most of them, what he does from now till 22/23 ish is all about development. Looks good at the moment.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mailloux’s combination of size, mobility, shot and offensive awareness will have him on the team before most of our heralded defensive prospects. As I noted in my initial assessment of Mailloux, if he gets a bit faster and stronger, Mailloux will be dangerous.

YUP! He's got that size/mobility/offensive awareness and that was a good use of that late 1st rounder. We might have got a 15-20 range value pick which is where we would have picked if not for the deep playoff run.

One more CHL year after this year and then he turns pro. That's when we will really know what kind of track he is on.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
YUP! He's got that size/mobility/offensive awareness and that was a good use of that late 1st rounder. We might have got a 15-20 range value pick which is where we would have picked if not for the deep playoff run.

One more CHL year after this year and then he turns pro. That's when we will really know what kind of track he is on.
Agreed. Trying to track 17 and 18 year old hockey players is akin to trying to track penny stocks on the stock market. There are few certainties.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed. Trying to track 17 and 18 year old hockey players is akin to trying to track penny stocks on the stock market. There are few certainties.

Their obsession to improve and overcome challenges along the way is a huge part of development. Enjoy his CHL production cause it looks like he will produce. Then we wait till he turns pro and go through the 2nd waive of development where there is less time and space and he has to go through NHL/AHL maturity. Doubt he shines right away but it's possible.

A bad story might turn good if he is on a good track on and off the ice.

Reactions: Licou

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Their obsession to improve and overcome challenges along the way is a huge part of development. Enjoy his CHL production cause it looks like he will produce. Then we wait till he turns pro and go through the 2nd waive of development where there is less time and space and he has to go through NHL/AHL maturity. Doubt he shines right away but it's possible.

I feel like this is the second most important attribute of a prospect after raw skill.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

Agreed. It was always going to be his defensive game that needed the most work. He's definitely a bit loosy-goosy there and will need the remainder of the season to brush up. He loses body position a bit and lacks some positional awareness by drifting to the walls and surrendering lanes. It's a mental focus thing that he'll learn. With a wingspan like that, he just needs to remember consistently that he has to stay central in his end and make them take the long route.

This is why I still stand by the John Carlson comparison. Many thought it was a reach based on what JC has become, but they forget he had an awful lot of the same tendencies (good and bad) upon his arrival in the OHL.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

That is the point. Those prospects that have the skill and talent to create the time and space at the next level are the ones that will succeed. While those that can't replicate their successes at the lower levels of competition will remain fringe professional players. It's the inability to project that necessary growth with any degree of certainty that renders the drafting and development of young players an inexact science.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yes. And the point was the gesture he made with his hand in his ear after he scored.

He probably did it to the other team, who was chirping him.

Whatever it takes for him to survive in the trenches. Pretty obvious what they'd be targeting him about, if that happened. However, I'm sure he was ready for that.

In an unrelated matter, that Roger guy in the thread title, might be someone to get to know. He's got cable TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Whatever it takes for him to survive in the trenches. Pretty obvious what they'd be targeting him about, if that happened. However, I'm sure he was ready for that.

In an unrelated matter, that Roger guy in the thread title, might be someone to get to know. He's got cable.
Cable TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad