Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Could he be the bait used this summer, to land us some scoring? Not saying they should, but could it happen??
Perhaps. Because his market value, based on his offensive production this year, may never be higher. That type of production masks a lot of warts in his game and may blind other GMs to same.

Reactions: BLONG7

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
//

Engstrom can play the right side??

With Struble as your 7, this group looks really solid man

Pairings are solid as you have that mix of high risk offense paired with defensively sound responsible players

I think he mostly plays RD

Reactions: jaffy27

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Missed the game, how did he play?

I saw the nice breakout pass he had, good looking out.
He played it pretty safe but looked good. Nice breakout pass on the assist and had another nice rush for a good shot and scoring chance. Was solid defensively and our most physical dman too mixing it up and throwing hits when he could (a very underrated part of his game). Once he gets confident and starts playing with a bit more swag he’ll be a great dman for us.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Perhaps. Because his market value, based on his offensive production this year, may never be higher. That type of production masks a lot of warts in his game and may blind other GMs to same.
Mailloux offense should be pretty good. I noticed he scored 25 goals his last season in junior. By comparison, Mesar a first round pick, only had 19 goals this year. His last year in junior

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Played within himself defensively and showed off his crisp passing and heavy shot.

Really good debut for him, very promising, if he could be consistent with that type of defensive game while giving more on offense that we know he can - that's super valuable.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
He played it pretty safe but looked good. Nice breakout pass on the assist and had another nice rush for a good shot and scoring chance. Was solid defensively and our most physical dman too mixing it up and throwing hits when he could (a very underrated part of his game). Once he gets confident and starts playing with a bit more swag he’ll be a great dman for us.
Exactly. He certainly did not look out of place against a team fighting for a playoff spot, and finished in the positive.
He also took a few good shots, and definitely has some offensive potential. First pass and getting out of the zone was great. He looked confident, and his assist showed a good vision of the play developping ahead of him.
He looks tall and strong in front of the net or in the corners, and he can hit hard, even though he still has his teenager look and frame. You can tell he will gain some weight and muscle in the coming years.
Overall, he looked better in that one game then Struble or Harris.

There will be some tough decisions to make at the training camp. With Guhle, Matheson and Savard locked in, you will have Xhekaj, Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Struble, Barron and Harris fighting for the last 3 spots, and we don't know yet what happens with Engstrom.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
He's got the potential to be a solid top4 defenceman if he continue to develop.

I might be wrong but I feel that MTL have the best prospect pool in the NHL on defence and probably in the 20s at forward postions. They need to fix this in this draft IMO.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Exactly. He certainly did not look out of place against a team fighting for a playoff spot, and finished in the positive.
He also took a few good shots, and definitely has some offensive potential. First pass and getting out of the zone was great. He looked confident, and his assist showed a good vision of the play developping ahead of him.
He looks tall and strong in front of the net or in the corners, and he can hit hard, even though he still has his teenager look and frame. You can tell he will gain some weight and muscle in the coming years.
Overall, he looked better in that one game then Struble or Harris.

There will be some tough decisions to make at the training camp. With Guhle, Matheson and Savard locked in, you will have Xhekaj, Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Struble, Barron and Harris fighting for the last 3 spots, and we don't know yet what happens with Engstrom.

The d picture is clearing up for me:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard (keeping Reinbacher's seat warm)
Xhekaj - Mailloux (maybe Barron, Struble or Harris keep his seat warm)

Hughes should definitely trying to get good offers for Hartis, Struble, and Barron. But if the don't come, then the short term picture is more crowded as nd complex.

Reactions: jrom

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I might be wrong but I feel that MTL have the best prospect pool in the NHL on defence and probably in the 20s at forward postions. They need to fix this in this draft IMO.

Outside of obvious value grabs and long term defense projects, I'd expect our draft to be heavy on offensive forwards and forwards with jam/nastiness.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Hughes has four 1sts in the next two drafts plus the surplus extra young dmen (Barron, Struble, Harris, plus Engstrom and Bogdan) to address the forwards.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I think Mailloux plays in the A next year because Reinbacher will probably make the team out of camp.

Mailloux looked great a month and a half ago and I predicted he would make the team out of camp, but he slumped since then. It's great he looked good yesterday, but unless he stands out in a big way at camp, I just don't see the space for him at the start of the year. It would be good to keep cooking him some more anyway.

Lane may never touch the AHL, it depends how they want to use him next year. In the last 2 games they clearly told him to go out there and do his thing. They may not be as free wheeling next year. So it depends where they want to work with him.

Next season's squad, to start the year, I think may look like

Matheson Guhle
Hutson/Harris Savard
Xhekaj Reinbacher

I think Kovacevic is probably gone this summer. Not sure with Struble... He faded a bit throughout the year, I could see him start in the AHL maybe.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think Mailloux plays in the A next year because Reinbacher will probably make the team out of camp.

Mailloux looked great a month and a half ago and I predicted he would make the team out of camp, but he slumped since then. It's great he looked good yesterday, but unless he stands out in a big way at camp, I just don't see the space for him at the start of the year. It would be good to keep cooking him some more anyway.

Lane may never touch the AHL, it depends how they want to use him next year. In the last 2 games they clearly told him to go out there and do his thing. They may not be as free wheeling next year. So it depends where they want to work with him.

Next season's squad, to start the year, I think may look like

Matheson Guhle
Hutson/Harris Savard
Xhekaj Reinbacher

I think Kovacevic is probably gone this summer. Not sure with Struble... He faded a bit throughout the year, I could see him start in the AHL maybe.
Not sure of that. Mailloux looks further along than Reinbacher.

Reactions: Garnet76

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I think he needs to put in a little more work with his skating but he seems like the type to be extremely intimidating to play against down the line. If he can continue to improve his skating over the next few years I see a Jeff Petry type player.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Reinbacher isn't as good as Mailloux, but he was drafted higher I guess.
d8735b67-4bad-40f7-b0be-3ed331be4fbe_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss and Rozz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad