Lockout talk on ESPN2's Cold Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
NJD Jester said:
So if Detroit had won that marathon, would the Wings' Cup have been legit in your eyes, being that they were the top team in the league that season?

A bit more, but not that much. At least it wouldn't be the outright anomaly of 80 years of hockey like it is now. But I probably still wouldn't count it in my stats either.

John Flyers Fan said:
You might have an argument if the Devils were a one year fluke. That theory tends not to hold any water when they were a great team the year before and have been a great team in the decade since.

They *missed the playoffs* the very next year after winning the Cup. And unlike the Leafs and Canadiens who had previously managed that dubious feat, they didn't miss simply because of an insane playoff format where teams that were 18 games under .500 made it in, and teams that were 16 games over .500 were on the sidelines.

Lots of good and great teams don't win the Cup. The fact still remains that the season was completely screwed up. There was no inter-conference play, etc. As I said, maybe the Devils would have won anyway, but we'll never know.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Anything less then 36 games isn't legit to start a playoffs for a championship??

That sounds like you would feel it is impossible to declare anyone the best team in hockey at the Olympics since the entire thing is done in about 2 weeks.

Either way if they only had 10 games to make it into the playoffs. It is still way more legit then the system they use in International hockey where one bad game and the best country can be out of playing for bronze.

Even get creative. And have more teams make it in, after a short 10 game season. You could then let in 20 teams for example with the highest points after ten games to the pool. Then have the teams in 2 pools of 10. Then the top 8 teams after a determined number of games advance to the first round of the playoffs.

It is definately not traditional, but neither is cancelling the season a tradition we are used to.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
grego said:
That sounds like you would feel it is impossible to declare anyone the best team in hockey at the Olympics since the entire thing is done in about 2 weeks.

That's exactly the point. The Olympics is a sprint. Always has been. It's just about who's playing well over the space of a couple of games. That's it's mission so to speak, and they settle it every time the same.

As I said, the Stanley Cup is supposed to be a marathon. *That's* how it's normally done. When you don't do the normal process, then you change it, cheapen it, cast doubt on the champion.

Take the real marathon. Would you accept it if next Olympics, They're running behind, can't get the whole thing in before the closing ceremonies, so they shortened the race to 15 miles?

You think that might cast a little doubt on somebody being declared the Olympic Marathon Champ? It sure would in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad