Lockout II - Moderated: Talk about your plenty, Talk about your ills...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They're looking to protect their jobs and reputations. If this all gets resolved with the appearance of not needing them or being better off without them, then... well you know.

I don't know. I think the players eyes were opened up a bit when the sans-Bettman negotiating team complete with moderate owners is sticking pretty firm to the contract length and lack of back diving on the contracts. I think we'll also find they hold firm on full linkage. If so then it is clear that these things were set out to Bettman as his goals to achieve in the negotiation. Nothing has drastically changed from the owners side of the table without bettman there, which would be the case if the demands Bettman was relaying to the PA were representative of the path set out by the BOG.

It's why these meetings were, I think, more dangerous for Fehr and the PA. Fehr likely knew this but he also knew he couldn't stop the meeting without coming off as an unwilling negotiating partner. It was a Bettman/league suggestion they do this and Bettman doesn't make that suggestion or put people in the room who don't basically share the same goals they had been trying to achieve. Bettman knew that without him the position from his side of the table was unlikely to change. Bettman also knew from past negotiations that if you can get the PA membership away from the leadership and talk to them that you can drive a wedge through the union. It's how the last lockout was ended after all.

It seems that Bettman as the lightening rod and the owners in shining armor on white horses is simply the league strategy. Bettman plays his part very well and is why he has been rewarded handsomely and allowed to play that role for a third lockout.

So we'll see what happens this afternoon but it appears things are on a knife edge. Are the owners bluffing that they won't move much further or are they serious? If Fehr makes the wrong call it could cost the players a lot more money.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
The fact the Owners need to negotiate a contract length stipulation is ****ing stupid.

It's like an obese person mandating that supermarkets only permit them to buy 1 "unhealthy" thing a week. If you DON'T want to eat more than that then DON'T eat more than that. If you don't WANT to sign players to terms longer than FIVE years then don't OFFER longer than that.

That is not a good analogy.

It's important that the owners compete with each other as best they can. That means doing whatever you can within the rules to build a winning team. If a rule can be bent to get around the intended goal of the salary cap, then that rule should be fixed. They should not simply "hope" that everyone operates with the spirit of the salary cap in mind.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The fact the Owners need to negotiate a contract length stipulation is ****ing stupid.

It's like an obese person mandating that supermarkets only permit them to buy 1 "unhealthy" thing a week. If you DON'T want to eat more than that then DON'T eat more than that. If you don't WANT to sign players to terms longer than FIVE years then don't OFFER longer than that.

Thats a terrible analogy.

The issue is a handful of big markets drive the escalating contracts and salaries for the bigger name players. Mid to smaller sized markets have to pay those types of deals if they want to keep or acquire those types of players. Essentially they have no control over this. You can say then don't give out those contracts but then that team loses its better players and makes it tougher to be competitive.

My team, the Sabres, had a fiscally prudent ownership coming out of the lockout. They set budget parameters and stuck to them. One was refusing to give out contracts longer than 3 or 4 years. It led to the dismantling of our team in short order culminating with Briere/Drury leaving in the summer of 2007. After that they had to scramble and react to the realities on the ground or they would have lost another wave of players. It led to matching Vanek's offer sheet and giving longer term deals to Roy and Pominville than they would have wanted to hand out.

Its easy to say a team should just be fiscally prudent and not give in to the economic pressures of the league. But the reality is it will have a sizable impact on your ability to ice and keep a successful team.

Schalkenullvier*

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think bringing Fehr in will make too much a difference, other than it may increase tension in the room. I can guarantee the players ran pretty much everything through him yesterday anyway.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Appears that Bettman and Fehr will be joining the party today. Glad I didn't get my hopes up.

With these two egos in the room, this thing is doomed to fail :help:

I disagree with this interpretation.

The Commissioner and the NHLPA Executive Director have to be involved. They were willing to reduce their visibility yesterday in order for things to not seem personal. However, they hung around the hotel all day yesterday and they were implicated in some way. There is no way that six owners were given a mandate to do a deal. Bettman and Fehr being back in the room today suggests to me that a deal is closer than it was yesterday.

blamebettman*

All I have to say is thank goodness Bill Wirtz is rotting in hell and Allan Cohen sold the Panthers back in 2009...otherwise there would be no negotiations going on right now

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
NHL and NHLPA are in contact this morning but no indication that CBA talks could resume today.

are things so tense from yesterday that they really might not resume talks today?!

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Christ, offer seven year max contract with ten percent variance, 300 mil make whole and an 8 year cba with the player's option to extend it 2 years at expiry. Just get it done.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yes, because not having those limits costs the owners, and takes away from parity. Philly can afford to take a chance on Weber's contract (even if it's paying ridiculous amounts in year 13) because they're rich. They can afford to take the chance that years 6 to 14 are not insured because they're rich. Nashville is taking that chance, but they can't really afford to have it back fire on them. It's not just the insurance costs (Crosby's 5 years is 400k a year), but the fact that it's only the first 5 years that are insured. The rest the team would have to cover.

Weber's deal doesn't exist without the massive signing bonuses and variance of $1-14 million years. Or it does but it doesn't have the poison pill of $56 million over the first four years, which is precisely what makes it a huge hinderance financially for the Nashvilles of the world.

I would like to see real numbers on insurance costs to know whether its a real concern or a red herring. Especially since it only affects a small percentage of contracts.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I disagree with this interpretation.

The Commissioner and the NHLPA Executive Director have to be involved. They were willing to reduce their visibility yesterday in order for things to not seem personal. However, they hung around the hotel all day yesterday and they were implicated in some way. There is no way that six owners were given a mandate to do a deal. Bettman and Fehr being back in the room today suggests to me that a deal is closer than it was yesterday.

I agree. (edit: with you, Crease, not the object of your disagreement)

Bettman and Fehr present -- this is serious, down to brass tacks.
Good will vibe phasing out -- same as above. Neither side wants to make concessions, this means they're down to the nitty gritty.
Kicking media out -- thank you!

That's not to say they're going to reach a deal. It's just that a deal necessarily would go through a final stage like this.

I'm surprised how obstinate the NHL is about term limits. I would think YOY variation and back-diving would be enough, and likely to get agreement from the players. Are they frustrated with long-term contracts with no movement clauses? Heatley and Nash trade fiascos? It's the only topic on which I've disagreed with the owners through this whole process.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
Elliotte Friedman:

n this Twitter-obsessed, instant-analysis world, all of us need to know what's happening RIGHT NOW. This isn't that simple. There are positive signs, as, before the board get-together, one governor said: "This meeting is going to be completely different than many of us expected," due to Tuesday's lengthy bargaining sessions.

But just because the "new" owners inside the room and their counterparts across the table are more willing to find common ground doesn't mean it's going to be easy.

There was an animated conversation in a hallway between Daly and Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs witnessed by reporters. Daly reportedly talked Jacobs out of leaving the meetings following a verbal confrontation with Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller.

Miller, reached by email, said: "Really? I don't have any recollection of that or why [Jacobs'] opinion would be that."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/12/nerves-frayed-as-nhl-negotiations-intensify.html

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If the players are really willing to lose a season over such minor differences, **** 'em. They can say "what's in it for them" while they lose a billion dollars in salary this season.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Owners compete for players. Players have agents playing teams against each other. That drives up contract length.

Ken Holland offered Suter and Parise shorter contracts. He was responsible. Didn't do much good, did it?

He offered 13 years to both of them per Anser Khan, Wings beat writer. Just not the same money, especially on Parise.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The negativity is not a good thing, obviously.

I find it interesting that there are groups on both sides that approve and disapprove of the proposals being bandied about. This leads me to believe that things are getting close to what would be considered "fair" by all involved. In a negotiation like this, neither side is going to be truly happy with the end product. It's all about getting a deal that you can live with for a long period. In a deal like that, you are going to have some lovers and haters on each side, and that at least gives me some optimism.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Except that only a few (8-10) of the 30 supermarkets in your town can really afford to risk lawsuits if someone gets sick from buying too many unhealthy things in a week, while others end up taking the chance because they have to to remain competitive in the market place, but can't really afford to take the chance.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Christ, offer seven year max contract with ten percent variance, 300 mil make whole and an 8 year cba with the player's option to extend it 2 years at expiry. Just get it done.

The proposal of a 5 year max (7 years for own UFAs) with a 5% variance but dropping other contracting issues is an interesting dilemma for the NHLPA. That makes the contract rights issue really only about the big ticket guys. The majority of players don't get 5+year deals nor do they get huge front loaded contracts.

Interested to hear Miller's take on this since it would reduce the amount of money tied up by the big ticket guys thus protecting the "middle class" of players he said he was concerned about.

Hanklite*

Has the NHLPA even offered anything like that? We dont know.

For all we know, thats what the NHL will take but the NHLPA just keeps wanting no Cap length and no Variance.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Weber's deal doesn't exist without the massive signing bonuses and variance of $1-14 million years. Or it does but it doesn't have the poison pill of $56 million over the first four years, which is precisely what makes it a huge hinderance financially for the Nashvilles of the world.

I would like to see real numbers on insurance costs to know whether its a real concern or a red herring. Especially since it only affects a small percentage of contracts.

It affects everyone, as it applies to the top 5 contracts on every team, and only covers the first 5 years of said contracts. Meaning that every contract longer than 5 years is not insured, and all the risk is on the owners dime. It was Crosby that said that when he looked into insurance to play overseas it was around $400,000 a month [source]. Now his is obviously higher due to the value (100m) and his concussion history. But I don't think the issue is just the insurance costs, but the fact that it's only 5 years that's covered by insurance, while the entire contract is guaranteed... meaning the owners are on the hook for the rest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad