Lockout I - Moderated: "I don't think there's a punch-line scheduled, is there?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
You essentially said the same thing: the economic environment is a dynamic one and pulling the plug on teams because of so would be a fool's errand.

Not really. The poster was essentially arguing in a roundabout manner that Canadian team revenues are currently unfairly expressed when viewed in the light of past historic currency spreads.

What I am saying is that, given that the past poor spread of the Canadian dollar may not apply going forward, and given that current profit is largely coming from the the Canadian market (one with a historic footprint in the sport), and that the troubled franchises all largely exist in another country (one with an arguably much poorer future relative economic outlook), and that unfilled demand still exists in strong hockey markets such as Quebec and Ontario, that it makes sense to me to move some of the poorly performing franchises to areas where a sufficient enough level of demand exists that will enable them to finance their own operations for a change. That seems preferable to the current norm that sees a few weak US franchises exist near solely due a reliance upon revenues generated by franchises located elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad