Lockout and Next Year's Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
TV's Frank said:
If there is no NHL next season, how will they determine who gets the top draft choice? Will it be fair game for every tea? Pretty exciting considering who the top pick will most likely be..

The scenerio that I have seen most referred to is that assuming the season is lost, another lottery with last years finish determining the same order . . . pretty nice for a Pen's fan as they would get the 48.2% chance at Crosby . . . .and as a Pens fan I hate to say it but for that reason I would shed no tears at losing all of next year to a strike, almost am pulling for that.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jaded-Fan said:
The scenerio that I have seen most referred to is that assuming the season is lost, another lottery with last years finish determining the same order . . . pretty nice for a Pen's fan as they would get the 48.2% chance at Crosby . . . .and as a Pens fan I hate to say it but for that reason I would shed no tears at losing all of next year to a strike, almost am pulling for that.

No one knows what will happen, but what Jaded-Fan said is the most probable one.

I'd much rather see the NHL play next year...but at the same time I'm not going to lose many tears since the only way the Penguins will have a chance at Crosby is if there is no season.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I don't know, I definitely don't see the Penguins doing much better next year than they did this year.

They did perform well as the end of the season, but that was also a relatively short time period. I'm not sure I can see them putting up great success. I'd almost guarantee they finish with a chance to win the #1 pick in the lottery.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
If there is no CBA then there is no draft as that is part of the CBA. So if there is a CBA and a season then it will go as normal, if there is no CBA and no season then they will have to work that out in the CBA. MY best guess is that they would likely do an extended draft of 13 or 14 rounds of both 2005 and 2006 years after the next completed season. That makes the most sense.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
s7ark said:
If there is no CBA then there is no draft as that is part of the CBA. So if there is a CBA and a season then it will go as normal, if there is no CBA and no season then they will have to work that out in the CBA. MY best guess is that they would likely do an extended draft of 13 or 14 rounds of both 2005 and 2006 years after the next completed season. That makes the most sense.

I agree, George McPhee said something to the same effect as the reason he was gettign some 2006 picks in the trades he made this year because he think it's going to be extremely deep due to the fact there will be no draft in 05.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
most likely scenario would be a lottery using this years standings with 1 major difference, and that being that every team would have a shot at #1, not just the bottom 5...it would be weighted so the pens would get the best chance but it would be much more wide open then normal

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
s7ark said:

you are assuming that there would be no cba signed next june 20th...the season will be called off LONG before the draft, they will have atleast 6 months between the time the season is canceled till the draft to work out a deal...and if we are going to assume the lockout will last beyond the 2005 draft, why assume that there will be a 2006 draft??

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I've heard that if the season is lost, an entry draft will in fact happen, and another lottery will be held. In this one, though, every team has a chance at top pick, but the standings determine how big of chance they have at selecting Crosby. It would be messed, though, if the CBA got worked out just in time for like 5 games, and a team like Ottawa finished last, and won the Crosby lottery.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
s7ark said:
MY best guess is that they would likely do an extended draft of 13 or 14 rounds of both 2005 and 2006 years after the next completed season. That makes the most sense.

I'd be surprised to see them combine the 2 drafts.

I would think it more likely that they simply have 2 separate drafts, one for 05 eligible players and one for 06 eligible players, because it would honor trades already made involving 05 and 06 picks.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ducksflytogether said:
It would be messed, though, if the CBA got worked out just in time for like 5 games, and a team like Ottawa finished last, and won the Crosby lottery.

that won't happen, the season will be canceled long before that...in 95 during the lockout shortended season, the 48 game schedule was the minimum number of games they would allow. if a new cba wasn't in place in time to start the season in late jan, they would have canceled the rest of the season

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
NYR469 said:
you are assuming that there would be no cba signed next june 20th...the season will be called off LONG before the draft, they will have atleast 6 months between the time the season is canceled till the draft to work out a deal...and if we are going to assume the lockout will last beyond the 2005 draft, why assume that there will be a 2006 draft??

Mostly because if there is no 2005 or 2006 seasons, it is a moot point as I don't think the league can survive that long... Hockey may come back but it won't be in the form of the current NHL. I think the number of teams would be drastically reduced.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
speeds said:
I'd be surprised to see them combine the 2 drafts.

I would think it more likely that they simply have 2 separate drafts, one for 05 eligible players and one for 06 eligible players, because it would honor trades already made involving 05 and 06 picks.

Very good point that I hadn't considered. That is more likely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad