Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
That’s bc they were young and innocent, lol.

I don’t think it is Keefe as much as the top guys just didn’t want to do the dirty works in playoffs.

You watch guys like McD, Drai, Mack, Tkachuk, Barkov, Pastra, Point….they all kept improving year after year but our top guys seem to get worse year after year.

I watched the Nucks and Oilers game live last night and McD and Drai were getting smashed every single time they are in the corners or board battles but they kept going at it and kept grinding. I just don’t see that in our top guys.
Leafs have scoring talent, but their effort dries up in playoffs. So do scoring chances.

Oilers GW OT goal was McDavid taking it from his own net, driving into the offensive zone and creating a chance to score which Bouchard got a lucky bounce off a Canucks skate.

Pasta's GW goal against Leafs was him zooming down the wing at full speed to grab a nice corner bounce pass dumped in from centre, swooped in fast between Rielly and Swayman across the far side stretching for a backhand goal on sammy. It barely went in.

Verhaghe just had a nice PP goal where battled to the net to do a crazy deflection high on Swayman.

How often do you see any Leafs doing that kind of effort to score in playoffs?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Leafs have scoring talent, but their effort dries up in playoffs. So do scoring chances.

Oilers GW OT goal was McDavid taking it from his own net, driving into the offensive zone and creating a chance to score which Bouchard got a lucky bounce off a Canucks skate.

Pasta's GW goal against Leafs was him zooming down the wing at full speed to grab a nice corner bounce pass dumped in from centre, swooped in fast between Rielly and Swayman across the far side stretching for a backhand goal on sammy. It barely went in.

Verhaghe just had a nice PP goal where battled to the net to do a crazy deflection high on Swayman.

Exactly, that’s our problem. Of all the top end talents we could draft and sign, we got four who just doesn’t like to battle

Reactions: 647Hockey

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Our mistake was thinking our assistant GM to Lou was ready.
How could you not ? :sarcasm:

1715467870101.png

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
But they some reason stacked on 4 forward, and then roll the dice plugging in a revolving door of second rate F, D, G hoping they play like all stars in the playoffs to put them over the edge.
Because that's the way you can win in Jr. due to the huge talent gap. That's what the rookie GM knew because he didn't have enough NHL experience.

Reactions: Jmo89 and 647Hockey

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Or our top guys can score some goals.
If all four of them can combine for McD and Drai offence per playoffs, which is not a big ask as Leafs got AM, MM, Willie and JT, they would probably won more than ONE round.
So true.

But easier said than done as players typically stick to their own skills and dont magically get better in the playoffs. If someone is good in playoffs, they'll be good. If they suck, they'll suck. Their predictable playoff performances I dont see changing anytime soon as what you see is what you get. Even for JT, his Isles playoffs stats were decent (around a pt per game) and on leafs it's no better. In fact a bit worse since he's not the key scorer like Isles.

Although McD and Dry are two examples where their pts are actually much better in playoffs than regular season by a wide margin. Those two avg both about 1.80 pts per game in playoffs which is insane. Their pts/game avg is similar to Gretzky.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The latest Leafs Report pod had a few interesting tidbits. Shanny's contract status is a bit murky, things have never been made fully public, Mirtle suggest there may be certain options clauses/hinting that Shanny may be under contract technically longer than what was originally reported (which was he was extended through to 2025).

Mirtle has got the sense that Tre's organizational profile may be rising too.
Maybe, but like Marner's security, it is something that he "heard".

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Knies' overtime goal was a smart play and head for the net.

But he came back to 1986 to grab two Humpback Whales.
That is true! George and Gracey.

Reactions: 647Hockey

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
So true.

But easier said than done as players typically stick to their own skills and dont magically get better in the playoffs. If someone is good in playoffs, they'll be good. If they suck, they'll suck. Their predictable playoff performances I dont see changing anytime soon as what you see is what you get. Even for JT, his Isles playoffs stats were decent (around a pt per game) and on leafs it's no better. In fact a bit worse since he's not the key scorer like Isles.

Although McD and Dry are two examples where their pts are actually much better in playoffs than regular season by a wide margin. Those two avg both about 1.80 pts per game in playoffs which is insane. Their pts/game avg is similar to Gretzky.
If you are a great player, you will find ways to deliver. It is that simple.
Just taking from last night game as I sat a few rows behind the Nucks bench. The length and size of Nucks Dmen did caused problems for McD but once he adjusted to it, he was craving that D like butter same with Drai. Nucks D gave them no room but they figured it out.
Just like the Nucks, they are playing with their 3rd string Goalie while Petey is struggling like MM and Quinn isn’t 100%. They figured out how to win games.
Not saying our guys just give up but I have yet to see them raise to the occasion consistently when the going get tough.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Shanahan should have realized Zach Hyman can never leave Toronto. Hyman should being wearing the C in TOronto. On that young team full of ego, they needed 1 of the hardest working captains to look at as their example. Hyman would have been perfect for that, to see an example every shift about how to compete hard. He tore his ACL and put a brace on it and played thru in in the playoffs, u never let a guy like that go.
Yeah, wouldn't this fanbase be SO happy with a grinding Zack Hyman scoring 15-20 goals for $6 million?

Apparently in the f***ing excitement over Hyman scoring goals this year, everyone's forgotten that the last playoff series we played he finished with 0 points.

Reactions: WillNy29

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, wouldn't this fanbase be SO happy with a grinding Zack Hyman scoring 15-20 goals for $6 million?

Apparently in the f***ing excitement over Hyman scoring goals this year, everyone's forgotten that the last playoff series we played he finished with 0 points.
Yeah, but now we take the goals and points he has with Edmonton and seamlessly move them to the Leafs.

Reactions: WillNy29

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They both were bidding for Tavares services after Lou was canned and hired by the NYI.

Logic is often clouded when emotion takes hold.
Not quite.

Lou knew he wasn't going to re-sign in New York, so he made a big offer that appeased some fans (and possibly higher-ups) without it costing them anything.

He could have offered $15 without fear of it being accepted (but that would have been too obvious).

But I do agree that Dubas' logic was 'clouded'.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

You’re gonna have to explain how any of those are hard work effort plays. Coast to coast high talent goals that involve 0 board or net front battles like Pasta’s are the dream scenario for every lazy talented player in history, we get rarely get those in the playoffs. Best case we get some greasy deflections or finally manage to jam something under a pad or clean up a rebound after the 15th scramble attempt that game.

No one is scoring off elite skating or elite shooting for us the vast majority of the time, they do on other actually good teams though.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

Matty game two and Willy game six come to mind.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Not quite.

Lou knew he wasn't going to re-sign in New York, so he made a big offer that appeased some fans (and possibly higher-ups) without it costing them anything.

He could have offered $15 without fear of it being accepted (but that would have been too obvious).

But I do agree that Dubas' logic was 'clouded'.

Lou didn’t know anything of the sort, he made a competitive offer because he hoped still to retain Tavares’ services.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Didn't buy what Pelley and Shanahan had to sell, but I surprisingly believed that Treliving wants to make the changes to win. Whether Treliving is actually allowed to make those changes remains to be seen.

Pelley's job actually is to "sell jerseys", he's the boss of the business side. If he were serious about winning, Shanahan would not have been there for the Press Conference.

Shanahan has been here for 10 years with only 1 playoff round win. Was the biggest backer of the Core 4 even with 5 previous playoff failures., but now after the sixth failure he finally realizes that the core needs to change ?

C'mon man...

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Lou didn’t know anything of the sort, he made a competitive offer because he hoped still to retain Tavares’ services.
I think pretty much everyone knew he was only signing here. Considering he said he would re-sign with the Islanders right up to the moment his contract expired and he declared for free agency, he wasn't going to sign there unless there we no other offers.

Only someone who really didn't understand the situation would think he'd re-sign there, and Lou ain't no dummy.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I don’t like to drink water.

Because of the disgusting things fish do in it. I much prefer drinking the wine. And if you're gonna drink the wine you need to drink the whole bottle.

Or, in the Leafs case, the Kool-Aid.

How anyone can listen to Pelley and actually believe what he's selling is beyond me. I get that it's his job to spin things and be positive. But he just comes across as a straight up Herb Tarlik style salesman.

Telling everyone what they want to hear.

This is the shit we're supposed to gobble up. That all of a sudden they're gonna admit they've made a mistake. That they're actually gonna drop their egos and fix the damage they've caused.

You'd have to be slobbering drunk to believe that.

Reactions: LeafEgo

Cassell

Apr 28, 2024
I don’t like to drink water.

Because of the disgusting things fish do in it. I much prefer drinking the wine. And if you're gonna drink the wine you need to drink the whole bottle.

Or, in the Leafs case, the Kool-Aid.

How anyone can listen to Pelley and actually believe what he's selling is beyond me. I get that it's his job to spin things and be positive. But he just comes across as a straight up Herb Tarlik style salesman.

Telling everyone what they want to hear.

This is the shit we're supposed to gobble up. That all of a sudden they're gonna admit they've made a mistake. That they're actually gonna drop their egos and fix the damage they've caused.

You'd have to be slobbering drunk to believe that.

I agree. The only one at the press conference that, by the end of it, I even remotely had positive feelings towards was Treliving. He said a lot of what I wanted to hear. But that’s been done before ad nauseum. It’s long past due for the “show” part of show and tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad