Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Why leave off points? It changes the narrative slightly...

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 3.38.36 PM.png

Matthews has been our best playoff performer.

Rielly is 2nd most likely (can debate with Nylander), Marner has been hit and miss, and Tavares has been the worst.

Reactions: Wrong Wilson

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Klingberg Reaves deals too...woof.

Plus look what he did with Calgary. Not a fan.

Yes injured.
I didn't like the Reaves deal.. but I think this roster needed nit only Reaves toughness but also to see his confidence. I expected much less than what we got.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Shanny: "You've got to get to the dirty areas in the playoffs to score"

OK, Marner is a goner 100%

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 3.40.50 PM.png

Getting to the dirty areas didn't work...

The difference in this series was mostly special teams honestly.

I feel like this was a bigger issue.

Toronto PP
Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 3.42.07 PM.png

Boston PP
Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 3.41.43 PM.png

A lot bigger difference here, we didn't get to the middle as much as them.

Reactions: Lauro

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
View attachment 868470

Toronto PP
View attachment 868472

Boston PP
View attachment 868471

Forget analytics for a second.

Remember when Marner got the loose puck as Bruins goalie was out of the net, and instead of trying to score right then and there (getting dirty), he decides to glide around the perimeter to shoot from afar?

Bruh

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Me too, if Tre did that deal without pressure from the President it’s not a good look, in fact it’s downright stupid……..
It was a bad deal but I will cut Tre some slack for a few reasons:

1. Huberdeau is overpaid but I don’t think anyone expected a drop from 100 points to 50. Even down to 70-75 average would be a bad contract but not horrible like it is now.

2. Calgary was desperate. They lost Gaudreau, Tkachuk wanted out and they couldn’t afford to lose exactly what they traded for on top of that. Huberdeau could have walked as well.

Still a bad deal to be sure but a different set of circumstances.

Never give out contracts though that you couldn’t move the player tomorrow if you wanted is always a good way to operate. A big overpay or NMC are bad things. A little overpay and a 10 team NTC are much better.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

View attachment 868468

Rielly is 2nd most likely (can debate with Nylander), Marner has been hit and miss, and Tavares has been the worst.
No it doesnt... have we not learned anything? in playoffs its very hard to score. Much harder than in the season. Less time and space to shoot, one needs to go to dirty areas. Marner had JUST 1 goal and 2 assists. One of those assists was a faceoff win by Domi that Marner tapped back to McCabe who shot it at net. Thats a basic play that absolutely anyone can make.

Watch all Marners points in the playoffs and the driver of each play is 90% not him. His teammates are carrying all the weight while he literally waits in open areas. It's no wonder this teams struggles to produce... they have a player playing 20-24 mins a night not even engaging in any battles. His line is basically playing short handed at all times.

The sportsnet writer alluded to it after the 2023 playoffs... Marner was shooting 10 feet further from the net and had then worst slot shots on the entire roster...and 10% worse compared to the 2nd worst forward.

Think if your Matthews and you need to adapt from the season to playoffs with guy who isnt in front of the net screening goalies, he isn't in the slot for a rebound or pass... he's literally useless to you unless...unless he's standing on the perimeter trying to sauce passes lol. Those passes are generally from a standing still position because he skates in quicksand and shit$ himself if someone gets close enough to finish a hit.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
BT, seems like a good leader, that will run the office well. Shannahan just seems kind of dull minded, hopefully he stays out of BT's way. Pelley seems like a giant wiener that is super annoying, kind of exactly what I picture a from a former Rogers exec, no surprise there.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

View attachment 868468

In the PC they were talking about scoring ... and going to the places you need to in the Post Season.

If someone won't go to those places and score assists don't exist.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Pelley seems like someone who lucked out in his career with good opportunist breaks rather than really being the 'best man for the job', I could be COMPLETELY wrong about that, I am just saying that based on looking at his job history and wasn't super impressed with the conference.
He inspired as much confidence as Shanahan. Only Tre came through looking like a guy that might actually help the fans. Although, I'll bet the MLSE Board all walked away fist bumping.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
We should have just built a conventionally diverse supporting cast on good conventional principles to support the unique core.

Get a goalie to replace Freddy Andersen when his time was up, put a premium on adding length defenders who can play a versatile game and build a tight knit group of junkyard dogs to protect our softer skill core.

Dallas Stars supporting cast, New York Rangers supporting cast. Carolina Hurricanes supporting cast or even the Vancouver Canucks supporting cast, plus Toronto Maple Leafs star power. That would have been a fine recipe. Still can be.

Yeah, there's still hope for the Leafs with Matty and Willy in their primes, but the team has to move away from Marner and Tavares, perhaps Rielly too, to free up the cap space to build it up properly.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
True, but there are many fans that seem to be of the opinion that MLSE are only interested in money rather than winning. Paying Keefe not to work for them is an example that money may not be more important than winning.
This opinion likely stems from MLSE still making money in the absence of winning anything big. I just can't really get behind that train of thought because winning it all would make them even more money.

Reactions: myleafs and egd27

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Forget analytics for a second.

Remember when Marner got the loose puck as Bruins goalie was out of the net, and instead of trying to score right then and there (getting dirty), he decides to glide around the perimeter to shoot from afar?

Bruh

That was brutal...Marner could have tucked it backhand a la his idol Doug Gilmour, but he didn't want to take a hit, even in a game 7 sure goal...what a playoff performer!

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
In the PC they were talking about scoring ... and going to the places you need to in the Post Season.

If someone won't go to those places and score assists don't exist.

Makes more sense... but also, I bet Matthews has the most shots from the "dirty areas"

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
It actually wasn't to dig at Dubas. It was to say here's a guy who was exactly what was needed that was actually available, and allegedly willing to come to Toronto. If there's another Petro type that hits the market the Leafs need to be all over that. I've been saying for years as much as I like Rielly, he's not the guy you want as your #1.

I mean was I that far off in saying that? I don't think Matthews or Nylander are "it" either and would be happier if they got traded too but I've accepted that ain't happening. There isn't much on this team I see value in building with.

In a weird way I appreciate you saying that. Though I wouldn't call it emotional.. this team losing hasn't affected me the last few years because I've accepted it. As long as this group is in place its expected until proven otherwise. Re-signing Marner would be hilariously stupid, but if you're happy watching the same results 8 times in a row who am I to argue. I just don't see him suddenly figuring it out, he's shown 0 signs of it thus far.

But... one more time for the people in the back, f*** Dubas
It amazes me how many people that are allegedly TML fans irrationally still defend Dubas even though he's in Pitts now. Then they have the NERVE to call other people "emotional".

Projection, it's what's for dinner...

Reactions: JKG33

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It was a bad deal but I will cut Tre some slack for a few reasons:

1. Huberdeau is overpaid but I don’t think anyone expected a drop from 100 points to 50. Even down to 70-75 average would be a bad contract but not horrible like it is now.

2. Calgary was desperate. They lost Gaudreau, Tkachuk wanted out and they couldn’t afford to lose exactly what they traded for on top of that. Huberdeau could have walked as well.

Still a bad deal to be sure but a different set of circumstances.

Never give out contracts though that you couldn’t move the player tomorrow if you wanted is always a good way to operate. A big overpay or NMC are bad things. A little overpay and a 10 team NTC are much better.
My issue is no other team would pay him that contract, so why not wait until the offseason, not only was it unnecessary, but it killed the season Styles was having, who knows how many points he could have had if they waited……..

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
View attachment 868470

Toronto PP
View attachment 868472

Boston PP
View attachment 868471

This is what I don’t get, am I the only one tired of watching Matthews, Tavares and co shovel pucks at pads crashing the crease only to get a whistle and look up at the rafters in frustration? The only series we won, we won by abusing Vasi on shots from distance that either got tipped or beat him clean.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It amazes me how many people that are allegedly TML fans irrationally still defend Dubas even though he's in Pitts now. Then they have the NERVE to call other people "emotional".

Projection, it's what's for dinner...
How many defend Dubas? What is their defence?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad