Local Media Coverage Of The San Jose Sharks Is Pathetic

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Greg Wyshynski just moved to the Bay Area. I hope that bolsters Sharks coverage on ESPN and his other podcasts. He was pretty close to the Caps organization when he lived in DC and was working for Yahoo, perhaps that model can be replicated in SJ

Wait is that true? That’s surprising considering he’s an East Coast guy who moved from Virginia to New Jersey (if I recall from his M vs W days)

Last edited:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yeah, according to his Twitter account his wife landed a job out here.

Interesting. I remember during the Playoff Run, Wysh kind of made fun of the way the Sharks did their in game entertainment, even though coming out of the Sharks head has been something the team has done since almost their birth. I thought maybe it was an east/west thing. At least now he will stay up for the late games and not complain that they end too late. One of the greatest things about living on the west coast is the whole Sports aspect to it.

As for media personalities, I wish the media here had more accountability and didn't have kid gloves on when talking about the team. I was actually listening to KNBR yesterday and (I think) Fitz and Brooks were talking about Monte Poole and how he's only doing his job but it triggered Kevin Durant. It seems like the Media coverage of the warriors is the gold standard of what the Media coverage is for all sports here should be. Who can be the Sharks Monte Poole? Definitely not Kurz, who while I think writes good stories for the Athletic, comes across as unprofessional. I think the best guy who covered the Sharks as long as I've been a fan was David Pollack. Unfortunately he retired and there hasn't been someone of his caliber since.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
My biggest issue is the lack of insider info from the beat reporters in Kurz, Gackle, Pashelka, etc.

Trade deadline day was a great example of how disconnected they are. I realize DW is tighter lipped than most but you couldn't hear a pin drop from any of those guys until after the deadline had even passed. No confirmation of whether the Sharks were done or anything. Some of them didn't even tweet about DW's post-deadline conference call while some national reporters were.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Surprised Kurz hasn't made an appearance in here yet to plug the Athletic!:sarcasm:

Reactions: IamJebus

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Nice write up. Lots of good detail; can tell you put a lot of work into it.

My guess is this is really all about the money. Hockey just doesn't bring in the money that NFL, NBA, and MLB does.

Curious how you think these factor into that equation:

1. Hockey is the least popular and most difficult major sport to learn and follow live (following the puck). Lack of a large diverse national audience means less air time, and less ad revenue. More difficult to follow means it is tougher to pull in the casual fan and build net new fan numbers.

2. Lack of youth interest in hockey - hockey fans are aging rapidly. Average age has gone from 33 in 2000 to 49 in 2016. The prospect pool is not being replenished. Kids seem to be more into Esports than the 4 major sports. MSG sells out league of legends tournaments, and universities are building esports stadiums and handing out scholarships. This is a serious long term threat to all major sports, that hasn't received serious consideration until recently.

3. Bay Area Demographics - Hockey is predominately a white sport. 2014-2017 studies saw that anywhere from 75-90% of NHL viewers are white. Santa Clara county breaks down to 33% white, 35% asian, 25% hispanic. Dig a bit further and you find that 39% of Santa Clara County residents are foreign born (61% Asian, 23% Hispanic, 13% non-white). Nothing against the diversity of the Bay Area, but you certainly cannot ignore demographics when examining entertainment preferences.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Purdy was the only person that even remotely resembled a Sports Journalist the Merc has ever had.
Grew up in san jose in the 80-90s..
Purdy did good work. Knowledgeable and quirky, off-beat but not PC. Always enjoyed his column and his satire. Didnt always agree with his stuff but he took a position.

TealTown22

Mar 26, 2013
San Jose, CA
www.tealtownusa.com
Nice write up. Lots of good detail; can tell you put a lot of work into it.

My guess is this is really all about the money. Hockey just doesn't bring in the money that NFL, NBA, and MLB does.

Curious how you think these factor into that equation:

1. Hockey is the least popular and most difficult major sport to learn and follow live (following the puck). Lack of a large diverse national audience means less air time, and less ad revenue. More difficult to follow means it is tougher to pull in the casual fan and build net new fan numbers.

2. Lack of youth interest in hockey - hockey fans are aging rapidly. Average age has gone from 33 in 2000 to 49 in 2016. The prospect pool is not being replenished. Kids seem to be more into Esports than the 4 major sports. MSG sells out league of legends tournaments, and universities are building esports stadiums and handing out scholarships. This is a serious long term threat to all major sports, that hasn't received serious consideration until recently.

3. Bay Area Demographics - Hockey is predominately a white sport. 2014-2017 studies saw that anywhere from 75-90% of NHL viewers are white. Santa Clara county breaks down to 33% white, 35% asian, 25% hispanic. Dig a bit further and you find that 39% of Santa Clara County residents are foreign born (61% Asian, 23% Hispanic, 13% non-white). Nothing against the diversity of the Bay Area, but you certainly cannot ignore demographics when examining entertainment preferences.

As stated in the article, it's understood that the Sharks are at the bottom of the coverage pile. Even when they were the only team doing well, that was the case. The focus of the article was more about their media channels. None of the networks or radio stations need to waste time talking about the Sharks any more than they already do. However, it's sad when people go to their website and find the latest Sharks article is from last playoffs. And the article is pulled from AP or ESPN, not authored internally. It's like why even have a sports page on your site? The other problem being their twitter/facebook accounts. It doesn't cut into ratings for their respective digital media people to post Sharks info... whether it's a final score, a significant moment (like clinching a playoff spot), or a RT about the All Star Game.

Lack of on-air coverage is the norm and sadly expected. But to provide next to nothing on your web presences is unacceptable.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
As stated in the article, it's understood that the Sharks are at the bottom of the coverage pile. Even when they were the only team doing well, that was the case. The focus of the article was more about their media channels. None of the networks or radio stations need to waste time talking about the Sharks any more than they already do. However, it's sad when people go to their website and find the latest Sharks article is from last playoffs. And the article is pulled from AP or ESPN, not authored internally. It's like why even have a sports page on your site? The other problem being their twitter/facebook accounts. It doesn't cut into ratings for their respective digital media people to post Sharks info... whether it's a final score, a significant moment (like clinching a playoff spot), or a RT about the All Star Game.

Lack of on-air coverage is the norm and sadly expected. But to provide next to nothing on your web presences is unacceptable.

I feel ya. I doubt they even have writers on staff that can competently write about hockey.

Nice write up.

Reactions: TealTown22

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Is it just me or is this another great example of why our local media sucks? I'd say celebrating another team star's injury is pretty unprofessional. Obviously we're all thinking that, but I'd say a beat writer shouldn't be tweeting that...

Reactions: landshark

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Is it just me or is this another great example of why our local media sucks? I'd say celebrating another team star's injury is pretty unprofessional. Obviously we're all thinking that, but I'd say a beat writer shouldn't be tweeting that...

Ehh I don’t think he’s celebrating his injury. He’s pointing out the truth that we all know to be true...the sharks need points and not having to face MAF would be a huge break after two straight losses.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Ehh I don’t think he’s celebrating his injury. He’s pointing out the truth that we all know to be true...the sharks need points and not having to face MAF would be a huge break after two straight losses.

Sure, and we can say that on a messaging board, but I don't think it's very professional for the Sharks' beat writer to be saying that. I also brought it up because it's Gackle, who has a history of being unprofessional.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010

I don't see it as celebrating. He's stating theres a possibility Fleury doesn't dress and if that were to occur it'd be advantageous to the Sharks. Pretty common beat writer Tweet, imo.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
If the sharks are "hoping" to avoid any team in the opening round they are never going to win the cup.

Reactions: Bowie22

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
It's crazy I just watched the sports segment on KGO 7 the local ABC affiliate. First time I've seen Bay Area news in years.

Anyways, the segment never once mentioned the Sharks were hosting the Red Wings tonight in a game important to the Sharks who are still mathematically trying to keep hope for a division title alive.

Instead, in addition to Cal v Baylor women's ncaa tourney highlights and getting ready for Bay Bridge series, there were clips from Durants post game press conference... From last night. And a mini segment on what Jason Kidd might do. And a mini segment about the Raiders being approved to play at Coliseum for 2019. And of course, some random thing about a bird on a golf course.

It's rather astonishing. There is no good argument for not even mentioning the Sharks game tonight during the sports segment of a local news broadcast. None.

Reactions: TealTown22

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I agree it's pretty unprofessional but it's not the worst thing Gackle has done and it's not unexpected either. He's a hack but this is pretty far down the list of the reasons why.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

SpaceCoastShark

Look what the cat dragged in
Apr 8, 2009
Space Coast, FL
It's crazy I just watched the sports segment on KGO 7 the local ABC affiliate. First time I've seen Bay Area news in years.

Anyways, the segment never once mentioned the Sharks were hosting the Red Wings tonight in a game important to the Sharks who are still mathematically trying to keep hope for a division title alive.

Instead, in addition to Cal v Baylor women's ncaa tourney highlights and getting ready for Bay Bridge series, there were clips from Durants post game press conference... From last night. And a mini segment on what Jason Kidd might do. And a mini segment about the Raiders being approved to play at Coliseum for 2019. And of course, some random thing about a bird on a golf course.

It's rather astonishing. There is no good argument for not even mentioning the Sharks game tonight during the sports segment of a local news broadcast. None.

Channel 7 is too busy trying to convince us that what's happening on The Bachelor is news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad