OT: LOCAL COVID19 - PART IV... Seriously, local only

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
continued from here OT: - LOCAL COVID19 - PART III... Seriously, local only

Seeing as how the stickied Mod note in the last thread seemed to be widely ignored, we're going to start fresh rather than me going through and deleting all the posts that didn't belong.

A reminder, this thread is for Covid19 topics of local interests

Local interest refers to what's going on in your community.

Posts about causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, origins and prevention ect are no longer allowed unless there is a local component. Otherwise they belong in main board thread

For more general discussion, go to the main thread below:
COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak

Please try your best to stay on topic, failure may result in your post being deleted, receiving an infraction, a thread ban, or all of the above. If posters in general can't adhere to these rules, we simply will not have a covid19 thread in the Sens forum.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Even after declaring a state of emergency, what are they going to do?

Watson declared a state of emergency last week and .... don't feel that has changed anything.
Watson declared it to clear red tape associated with sole sourcing contract requirements to deal with things from what I understood. It was never meant or expected to drastically change things, at least not based on anything I've seen reported.

Not sure what the intent is with respect of the province's declaration here,

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It opens the door for the feds to get involved. It’s essentially asking the feds for help, amongst other things like streamlining procurement and enacting temporary legal measures. You can also temporarily infringe on freedoms of movement and such.

Worst case scenario is that it clears the way for the military to get involved. Better case scenario is that it’s the RCMP, best case is that it’s funding for hugs and high fives all around and everyone goes home.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Even after declaring a state of emergency, what are they going to do?

Watson declared a state of emergency last week and .... don't feel that has changed anything.
Hard to tell. Everything I’ve read suggests this is similar to Ottawa’s in the sense that it clears red tape and allows government organizations to respond more quickly.

I imagine Ford will be able to offer more specifics at the presser later. Either way, I see this as way better than the “nothing” he’d been doing prior.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Hard to tell. Everything I’ve read suggests this is similar to Ottawa’s in the sense that it clears red tape and allows government organizations to respond more quickly.

I imagine Ford will be able to offer more specifics at the presser later. Either way, I see this as way better than the “nothing” he’d been doing prior.

I don't think the provincial or federal governments are all that concerned with what's happening in Ottawa, or will be stepping in. In reality, the impact of the protests here are small potatoes compared to the border blockades, which is a problem that adds up to many billions.

They care about the trade crossing, not inconvenienced citizens.

Money talks.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I don't think the provincial or federal governments are all that concerned with what's happening in Ottawa, or will be stepping in. In reality, the impact of the protests here are small potatoes compared to the border blockades, which is a problem that adds up to many billions.

Money talks.

Blocking Toronto is also a big concern.

North America’s 4th largest city. Canada’s largest city. Financial centre of Canada. Home of the Leafs

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

Money talks.
Yeah, I agree. The Ottawa protest is symbolic and generating a lot of news .... but isn't really that impactful.

That Windsor - Detroit bridge on the other hand...

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

And we have our answer

Ont. Premier Doug Ford announced the measures Friday, saying they will be used to levy stiffer fines and penalties on protesters, including a maximum penalty of $100,000 and up to a year imprisonment.

Ford added that the provincial government will provide additional authority for police to consider taking away the personal and commercial licenses of anyone who doesn't comply with these orders

Premier Ford declares state of emergency in Ontario

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Money talks.

It's not a good look though. It's attracting attention worldwide, and I think more importantly the longer it lasts, the more nutjobs it starts to attract worldwide, e.g. the support starting to come in from America, plus the "movement" starts getting internationally connected with other extremist/Russia-backed groups

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
You can separate politics - @BankStreetParade said this on Thursday in regards to the handling of the pandemic, specifically referring to the medical practitioners and ones who created the vaccines. my response here is not directed personally at the person you were responding to.

the problem is, at a systematic level, no they cannot.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
lol am I reading this correctly? There's at least a 100 trucks who brought kids to this "freedom convoy" and as a result, are keeping them in hostage as well?

We should mandate the right to be a parent. if anything.

Just read this too :

Clayton Goodwin, a military veteran, said he wanted the government to act against the protesters occupying downtown Ottawa. “We’ve lost our trust in our institutions, our police force,” he said. “Those that would use children as human shields and turn our flag upside down, torture our neighbours with noise, you can’t engage them...”

I knew they were pathetic, I mean keeping a city/country in hostage for their "spoiled asses freedom" while a lot of people die suffering is pathetic, but THIS? Just another level.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
lol am I reading this correctly? There's at least a 100 trucks who brought kids to this "freedom convoy" and as a result, are keeping them in hostage as well?

We should mandate the right to be a parent. if anything.

Just read this too :

Clayton Goodwin, a military veteran, said he wanted the government to act against the protesters occupying downtown Ottawa. “We’ve lost our trust in our institutions, our police force,” he said. “Those that would use children as human shields and turn our flag upside down, torture our neighbours with noise, you can’t engage them: You have to act against them.”

I knew they were pathetic, I mean keeping a city/country in hostage for their "spoiled asses freedom" while a lot of people die suffering is pathetic, but THIS? Just another level.

this might be the most overly dramatic thing I’ve ever read.

Violence is never a good answer to end these things. And if you think “you can’t engage with them, we have to act agains them” this is the talk of someone who’s job is to kill people. Don’t listen to these people, they are trained to kill, not to solve problems.

soldiers are in the business of doing horrible things - if we want to use our own soldiers vs our own citizens because of honking and illegal parking - that’s very scary

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Violence is never a good answer to end these things. And if you think “you can’t engage with them, we have to act agains them” this is the talk of someone who’s job is to kill people. Don’t listen to these people, they are trained to kill, not to solve problems.

soldiers are in the business of doing horrible things - if we want to use our own soldiers vs our own citizens because of honking and illegal parking - that’s very scary

I have no idea if the veteran implies that we should be "violent", maybe that's how you read it but I wasn't looking at that aspect at all in my post, so I edited by removing "You have to act against them".

It's more the disgusting fact that they brought children to this crap, so pathetic

Proud of what? You are either ignorant and believe this is actually fuelled by "Freedom", or you are in support of far-right nationalism that is preparing/ hoping to violently overthrow the government.

Yes and even those less nasty than those with a violent political agenda, some conspiracist groups are actually making a lot of money thanks to their sheeple. See below, sorry it's in french :

Trois mois chez les complotistes québécois

Crazy how gullible people can be. The only reality is there is a virus that has killed or "damaged" a lot of people. Of course, humanity has done a lot trying to prevent deaths/suffering

What is so hard to understand here? I mean, it's been 2 years. Pretty much reaching "the Earth is flat" stupidity level

But maybe birds aren't real for real?

Birds Aren’t Real, or Are They? Inside a Gen Z Conspiracy Theory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Here I Pageau Again

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

Lots of problems have been solved with killing. Do you think WW2 and the atrocities by Germany and Japan would have been solved with stern talkings?

You're out to lunch. Sometimes violence is the only answer as it becomes the last option available.

And your last line is comical. We arrest people all the time and throw them in jail for not complying. Suddenly you're having issues with it though? Again, out to f***ing lunch.

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Lots of problems have been solved with killing. Do you think WW2 and the atrocities by Germany and Japan would have been solved with stern talkings?

You're out to lunch. Sometimes violence is the only answer as it becomes the last option available.

And your last line is comical. We arrest people all the time and throw them in jail for not complying. Suddenly you're having issues with it though? Again, out to f***ing lunch.

Agreed. No one can say they were not warned, they were not told that there will be arrests, that there will be confiscatino of licences, and that they may be forcibly removed. If parents want to let their kids get traumatized, it's on them, not the police or the government.

They can protest, just unblock the roads. Camp out on the lawns. Have police at all entrances of Rideau Cantre. Follow the rules of peaceful protest because the only reaosn why it is " peaceful" is the police have allowed it to be. Time to break some heads

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Agreed. No one can say they were not warned, they were not told that there will be arrests, that there will be confiscatino of licences, and that they may be forcibly removed. If parents want to let their kids get traumatized, it's on them, not the police or the government.

They can protest, just unblock the roads. Camp out on the lawns. Have police at all entrances of Rideau Cantre. Follow the rules of peaceful protest because the only reaosn why it is " peaceful" is the police have allowed it to be. Time to break some heads
I agree with the spirit, but I think a distinction needs to be made here. Violence comes out when the protestors respond to enforcement with violence. If they go peacefully, there's no reason this needs to escalate.

(That being said, these buffoons have shown who they are. It'll escalate to violence, or at the very least resistance. But a concerted and deliberate effort does need to be made to clear them out without violence first. The basic fundamentals of crowd control that Ottawa Police hasn't even appeared to attempt yet.)

Reactions: coladin and DrEasy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I agree with the spirit, but I think a distinction needs to be made here. Violence comes out when the protestors respond to enforcement with violence. If they go peacefully, there's no reason this needs to escalate.

(That being said, these buffoons have shown who they are. It'll escalate to violence, or at the very least resistance. But a concerted and deliberate effort does need to be made to clear them out without violence first. The basic fundamentals of crowd control that Ottawa Police hasn't even appeared to attempt yet.)

it’s actually a great thing the protesters haven’t been attacked. People are so used to violence and police brutality common sense people see violence as the best way to do things. That’s what is really scary, not a bunch of heavy cholestoraled dudes in camo with nothing better to do, it’s the common citizen Who wants to see a police attack -
That is the real worry - this is how societies crumble not from a 5000 organized people with parking breaks, it’s when good people go bad.

the people who want violence to end this thing are closer to Nazis then the people they call Nazis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad