OT - NO POLITICS Local COVID-19 Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
To think in our lifetime (as we're about the same age) the world was going to enter a new ice age, then we were going to burn up due to the ozone hole, then Al Gore made millions flying around on private jets saying the world was ending last decade, and now we'll have world wide flooding due to ice cap melting while the political elites buy sea side mansions. I could maybe understand house boat mansions but big ol 9mil dollar homes on the Vineyard not so much.
I'm not a denier but also not an alarmist especially as you see where the fault lies ie China where alot of their cities look like 70s LA on air pollution warning days. Time to go nuclear for sustainable, efficient power

The ozone hole problem was corrected because 99% of the scientists said "this is the problem, and this is how we can fix it". The world got together, and did something about it.

Climate change will continue because 99% of the scientists say "this is the problem, and this is how we can fix it". And the world instead pumps trillions of dollars into disinformation campaigns to say they are wrong.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
The ozone hole problem was corrected because 99% of the scientists said "this is the problem, and this is how we can fix it". The world got together, and did something about it.

Climate change will continue because 99% of the scientists say "this is the problem, and this is how we can fix it". And the world instead pumps trillions of dollars into disinformation campaigns to say they are wrong.
There’s gotta be a term to describe this. When someone says X will happen unless you do Y, then Y is done and X doesn’t happen, then 200IQ Andys say “see, X didn’t happen it was a bunch of hysteria.”

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Do you have evidence that everyone that has been infected was infected by a single individual or that they contracted it at that specific event.

Not. It's a pretty reasonable inference when considering what we do know. This group of people :
  • Are all tested regularly for active infection.
  • All attended the same function, and were repeatedly observed not distancing or taking mask precautions.
  • All started to report positive infection tests after about the same incubation period.
One could probably figure it out for sure with some robust contract tracing, but if taking precautions hasn't been important, I doubt that is either.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Not. It's a pretty reasonable inference when considering what we do know. This group of people :
  • Are all tested regularly for active infection.
  • All attended the same function, and were repeatedly observed not distancing or taking mask precautions.
  • All started to report positive infection tests after about the same incubation period.
One could probably figure it out for sure with some robust contract tracing, but if taking precautions hasn't been important, I doubt that is either.
The word on the street is the White House isn't even contact tracing, so we'll never know even close to the full scale of this outbreak.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My wife and my son are off to get the brain tickler today despite not thinking it's COVID.

My son has a headache and upset stomach that he thinks is anxiety driven and my wife has a head cold.

Welcome to a pandemic!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Last night we received a robocall from the HS prinicipal urging parents and kids to be safer outside of school and avoid things like parties.

Just got this email from our district's superintendent:

As I’m sure you are aware, the incidence of COVID-19 in New York State has gone up since the reopening of schools. We continue to work directly with the Monroe County Department of Public Health with each of these positive cases and collaborate on the appropriate steps to take moving forward. This includes a new case that we wanted to share this afternoon.

The Monroe County Department of Public Health has informed the district that a staff member at Paul Road Elementary School has been diagnosed with COVID-19. After completing its investigation, the Monroe County Department of Public Health has determined that this individual DID NOT expose others while in school and did not get infected while at school. No other personally-identifiable information can be shared about this individual due to HIPAA privacy standards. Any individuals who are at risk of exposure have already been notified by MCDPH. The infected individual has been placed in isolation and will not return to the school until released by county health leaders. The MCDPH is not recommending any further action by the district.

The reason there has been little risk of exposure in school settings is because of the district’s strict adherence to mask wearing and social distancing. So far, in all but one positive case in Monroe County involving a student or school staff member, MCDPH has traced the likely point of exposure to a situation that occurred outside of a school setting. The cases are largely connected to family members, social gatherings and other recreational activities including travel.

It is imperative that, as a community, we do our part and continue to remain vigilant with our mask wearing, handwashing and social distancing in school and outside of school to minimize the spread of COVID-19.

Reactions: brian_griffin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The word on the street is the White House isn't even contact tracing, so we'll never know even close to the full scale of this outbreak.
I'm surprised that's not being spun as reluctance/refusal to contract-trace because it will obviously identify Russians / Ukranians.

Ie the Kevin Cronin syndrome
Not just directed to you, but you can search for "Sklar Brothers Roll With the Changes" and there's a video out there (not on the ubiquitous video hosting service). The REO Speedwagon parody begins ~17:00. Sklars may not be to everyone's liking - you may need to be of similar age to fully appreciate.

Last night we received a robocall from the HS prinicipal urging parents and kids to be safer outside of school and avoid things like parties.

Just got this email from our district's superintendent:

<snip>
That's a great note. Pertinent, factual, both informs and requests. Remind again what the "back-to-school" approach currently is for your K-12s?

Here, it's 2 days in class, 3 days out/online, 50% capacity (all classrooms empty on Wednesdays).

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm surprised that's not being spun as reluctance/refusal to contract-trace because it will obviously identify Russians / Ukranians.

Not just directed to you, but you can search for "Sklar Brothers Roll With the Changes" and there's a video out there (not on the ubiquitous video hosting service). The REO Speedwagon parody begins ~17:00. Sklars may not be to everyone's liking - you may need to be of similar age to fully appreciate.

That's a great note. Pertinent, factual, both informs and requests. Remind again what the "back-to-school" approach currently is for your K-12s?

Here, it's 2 days in class, 3 days out/online, 50% capacity (all classrooms empty on Wednesdays).

Pretty much the same M/Th or Tu/Fri in school other three days remote.

My son also goes to his auto mechanic program every other Wed so that is 50/50.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Not to derail any Covid doom and gloom, but I need your quick input:

I'm having trouble deciding what food I should have for the draft. Options are:
Wings with blue cheese, wings with blue cheese OR wings with blue cheese.

What say you?

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Not to derail any Covid doom and gloom, but I need your quick input:

I'm having trouble deciding what food I should have for the draft. Options are:
Wings with blue cheese, wings with blue cheese OR wings with blue cheese.

What say you?
Fried, baked, grilled or smoked?

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
All of the above! :D

Nah, grilled, probably. Deep fried is to messy, I gotta do my own cooking and cleaning.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread, I thought this was the normal OT thread didn't realize this one is Covid only

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
All of the above! :D

Nah, grilled, probably. Deep fried is to messy, I gotta do my own cooking and cleaning.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread, I thought this was the normal OT thread didn't realize this one is Covid only

Deep fried Covid sounds delicious.

Reactions: umbertovanek

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
What do they have to worry about? It's not like they had the most cases of COVID yesterday. They were 2nd. BIG Difference.

As a lifelong Dolphin fan I can assure you Dolphins don't come to capacity seating even without a pandemic.

Reactions: SackTastic

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Well, COVID layoffs have hit my employer and one of my peers was let go.

I am going to eat my feelings on Saturday.

We've had to reduce our staff by a pretty decent margin over the past month or two. OT for people is also a thing of the past for the most part, too. Thankfully nobody on my team as IT is pretty critical, but it sucks seeing people leave.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We've had to reduce our staff by a pretty decent margin over the past month or two. OT for people is also a thing of the past for the most part, too. Thankfully nobody on my team as IT is pretty critical, but it sucks seeing people leave.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how the pivot they are trying to pull off works...

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

My wifes entire lawfirm is closing due to covid. 250 employees in 5 different states. Foreclosures being stopped has hurt hundreds of law offices.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

It's rough. 5 from my team were officially let go a few weeks ago and 2 re-signed within the past month, all of who were on furlough.

All but 2 have new jobs by now at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad