Book Feature Lloyd Percival: Coach and Visionary. Revised and Fully Referenced Edition (by Gary Mossman)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The original edition of the Hockey Handbook (HH) was published in 1951. A revised edition was published in 1957, even though the changes were minimal. No other editions were published during Percival's lifetime, although he was working on one when he died and planned to include information on aspects of Russian hockey - an early copy of Percival's notes and a copy of the HH with marginalia has been donated to the HHOF Archives.

I've just checked whether my memory was playing tricks on me and I found one edition apparently from 1972:

1972.jpg

And one from 1961:

1961.jpg

That would make it at least four editions during Percival's lifetime (1951, 1957, 1961, 1972). Not bad.

Last edited:

Gary M

Jan 10, 2022

These are bookseller mistakes, or, in the case of a 1972 First Editon, a misrepresentation. They may be new printings, but they are not new editions.

Reactions: seventieslord

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
These are bookseller mistakes, or, in the case of a 1972 First Editon, a misrepresentation. They may be new printings, but they are not new editions.

I see. The "1st edition" is definitely wrong there. And the difference between edition and printing explains the rest: The original edition was published in 1951, followed by a "new revised edition" in 1957 and the rest (1961 and 1972) are merely new printings of the 1957 edition – until the third edition was commissioned in 1992. Got it.

Gary M

Jan 10, 2022
I see. The "1st edition" is definitely wrong there. And the difference between edition and printing explains the rest: The original edition was published in 1951, followed by a "new revised edition" in 1957 and the rest (1961 and 1972) are merely new printings of the 1957 edition – until the third edition commissioned in 1992. Got it.

That's right.
It's too bad we never got to see the
revision of the text edition Percival was planning in the 1970s. It would have been fascinating to see how he incorporated information on Russian hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
That's right.
It's too bad we never got to see the
revision of the text edition Percival was planning in the 1970s. It would have been fascinating to see how he incorporated information on Russian hockey.

That would have been fascinating for sure. Is it known where Percival's papers ended up after his death?

Gary M

Jan 10, 2022
That would have been fascinating for sure. Is it known where Percival's papers ended up after his death?

I acquired the few significant files that were still in the family's possession. Fortunately, the two men who worked closely with Percival from 1950 to 1974 had kept boxes full of important documents and records. Some of this material has been donated to the HHOF Archives and there are three boxes in my office awaiting pick up by Library and Archives Canada.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I acquired the few significant files that were still in the family's possession. Fortunately, the two men who worked closely with Percival from 1950 to 1974 had kept boxes full of important documents and records. Some of this material has been donated to the HHOF Archives and there are three boxes in my office awaiting pick up by Library and Archives Canada.

Hopefully this material will be made publicly available at some point.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I added this to my to-buy list today. My list is long and I have to prioritize my purchases, but everything on it eventually gets purchased.

I've been reading hockey nonstop for a few months now. There are so many books I really want to get to, but I insist on getting through them one at a time. Plus, I don't just read what I covet the most at each opportunity, otherwise, in time, I'll have already read all my favourite stuff, with only less interesting stuff remaining. I'd rather space it out.

After reading this whole thread, I decided to give The Hockey Handbook another look. It always seemed so.... "technical". Like it would bore me. The preface and first few pages certainly did not bore me. I have read a lot of drier, academic stuff lately so maybe I'm just in the right mindset for it, but I'm really interested.

I don't make a conscious decision on what to read next. I wait for something to call to me. As the result, The Hockey Handbook is my new current read. I didn't choose it, it chose me.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Update:

Hopefully this material will be made publicly available at some point.

As soon as Covid restrictions allow.

Gary Mossman tells me that a lot of those papers are now available at the HHOF Archives. So have at it, researchers!

If I understand it right this will be discussed in another book supposed to appear later this year and I'm very much looking forward to it.

The book this is referring to has been published by now. It's The Path to the Summit by Jim Genac, which I hope will be presented here on HOH soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad