OT: Living In Edmonton

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
There's no money in Edmonton. Alberta has the lure because of northern towns. But in Edmonton you have a university degree along with 10,000 other people applying for the same job.
Then if you get it it'll pay poverty money because they know they can. If not you, someone else. Make 30,000 a year but pay 21,000 of it in rent.

Edmonton is a terrible place to live if you haven't established yourself 10 years ago.

Oilerz

May 10, 2005
River City. E-Town
There's no money in Edmonton. Alberta has the lure because of northern towns. But in Edmonton you have a university degree along with 10,000 other people applying for the same job.
Then if you get it it'll pay poverty money because they know they can. If not you, someone else. Make 30,000 a year but pay 21,000 of it in rent.

Edmonton is a terrible place to live if you haven't established yourself 10 years ago.

1 in 10 jobs in Canada were created in Edmonton last year. Not in Alberta, in Edmonton. I think he'll do fine moving to Edmonton. The real question is : is he an Oilers fan? He may want to rethink THAT move.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton

This is a very inaccurate statement, every word of it

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012

Why would even bother giving inaccurate information.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
1 in 10 jobs in Canada were created in Edmonton last year. Not in Alberta, in Edmonton. I think he'll do fine moving to Edmonton. The real question is : is he an Oilers fan? He may want to rethink THAT move.

It really is best for me to not think about that... haha

Yeah I don't understand the statement either. Yes cost of living is higher than Edmonton (just like any major city compared to Niagara) but the same jobs ins southern ontario that are posted for 30,000-35,000 seem to be getting 40,000-50,000 in Edmonton/rest of Alberta

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If you're a single guy then you'll need to make around 100k/year if you want to have a decent life in Edmonton. Such an overpriced city.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
If you're a single guy then you'll need to make around 100k/year if you want to have a decent life in Edmonton. Such an overpriced city.

That's the most absurd thing I've heard in a long time. Unless your finger slipped when you were typing 50k

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011

It really isn't. Pull up indeed.com and find jobs in Edmonton that aren't paying poverty level salaries. You either have to be insanely specialized in your training or working a brain dead job out of town for 3 weeks out of a month. Cost of living takes that all away anyway.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
The oil industry likes to promote and hire it's own, so while there are some (not a lot of) management jobs out there to be had, generally they go to people who have experience working in the industry already in non-management roles. I work for one of the big oil sands companies. I'm a team lead in IT after having worked as an architect for 14 years, and I took this job as a gateway into the oil industry. My manager is a P.Eng. in I think Mechanical who worked in Fort Mac for 10+ years, then went into project management, then into IT. Our director has an extensive history in servers and DBs within the company.

You get the point; no where, anywhere, do I know of anyone who got into management from an education in... management. Anything's possible, but I'd be prepared to take whatever you can get to start out, especially if it's in the oil industry. The door in is hard to find, but once you're in, it's pretty awesome.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I wish I did. After mortgage, bills and car payment you'll still need a roommate and live pay check to pay check.

There is a pervasive sentiment in places like Edmonton that a person needs (to own) a big or new living space, drive a new and expensive car or truck (truck, especially in Alberta), and essentially live outside of their means in order to appear successful. Many single people live in Edmonton on a 30-50k budget and do so comfortably: they take the bus or ride a bike, they rent (and not necessarily in "dumpy" places; areas like Whyte ave and Jasper ave offer comfortable and reasonably priced places to rent), and they live within their means. This lifestyle doesn't appeal to everyone, but it certainly is available to people in Edmonton, and many people are perfectly happy living here off of relatively smaller incomes. So the claim that you need to make 100, 000 a year in order to life comfortably in Edmonton says more about the person making that claim than it does about the city itself.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Hopefully this doesn't turn into too many arguments.

MODS, I got a lot of great feedback out of this, so feel free to lock it if you need to.

Thanks again everyone!

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
There is a pervasive sentiment in places like Edmonton that a person needs (to own) a big or new living space, drive a new and expensive car or truck (truck, especially in Alberta), and essentially live outside of their means in order to appear successful. Many single people live in Edmonton on a 30-50k budget and do so comfortably: they take the bus or ride a bike, they rent (and not necessarily in "dumpy" places; areas like Whyte ave and Jasper ave offer comfortable and reasonably priced places to rent), and they live within their means. This lifestyle doesn't appeal to everyone, but it certainly is available to people in Edmonton, and many people are perfectly happy living here off of relatively smaller incomes. So the claim that you need to make 100, 000 a year in order to life comfortably in Edmonton says more about the person making that claim than it does about the city itself.

I can confirm this. As someone who makes quite a bit less than $100K a year, I own a decent car, a 1 bedroom condo, I manage to pay for internet and HD TV, go out for dinner a couple weeks, and still manage to put a bit away for savings and vacations. All it takes is budgeting and living within your means. Do you need to buy a $40,000 truck, or can you get by with a <$10,000 used Corolla? Do you need to buy lunch every day? Go out for dinner every night? Are you comfortable renting with roommates or do you need to own a townhouse in a new development right off the bat?

OP, I have had friends that moved from "pooorer" parts of the country (such as Nova Scotia, PEI, etc.) and they have done okay out here, but if you're moving without a job it may take some time. You'll probably want to rent a place with roommates, and you may end up taking a job in retail or similar industry while you apply on jobs. No shame in that - people need to work and these places are always hiring.

If you're a recent grad, it might be tricky for you to find something entry level with your business degree, but if you're patient and not too picky, something will come along eventually. I work in HR now, and I get quite a few new grads who ask me the same question all the time. My advice is always be patient, and don't be afraid to take a job that's outside of your specific field. It's highly unlikely that you'll get your dream job on your first go, but the #1 thing you need to do right now is get work experience.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

While this is true and I certainly did many of the things you suggest as a younger person while saving up for items like a house, car, etc. the real cost of living (not the one cited on official sources) has grown drastically here. To the point of being ridiculous.

If I scanned a ledger of expenses back in the day people would be swearing a blue streak.

Before even getting out of high school I was making 15bucks/hr in construction field working summers and getting called in on weekends yr round. By the time I hit university I had 10K in a bank account.
Speaking of university my annual tuition was around 1400 (cue more swearing) books another 400. That was it. Which I of course was able to pay easily without any student loan ever.
But heres where it gets interesting. Rent for a large 2bedroom apartment at the time was 450bucks. Heating, water, satellite TV INCLUDED. (cue more swearing) Only bill we got was for power. Would average around 70bucks before the age of privatization of utilities. Groceries were pretty much dirt cheap.
Should I add that the interest in a chequing account, with around 12K in it was earning 17% interest? lol One year I earned 2K INTEREST and I was only 20yrs old. Due to sharing rent and expenses I could live 2mths just on the interest I was making! It was easystreet.

My living expenses in total were around 12K/yr. Had I worked all year round in the Construction industry and for the hours I was working I would make around 33K.

A 20 year old kid being able to bank up to 20K/year. PLUS earning huge interest (guaranteed) on that principal every year. Try doing that today.

Long story short bought my first house in 88 (beautiful sensible bungalow with completed garage and partly finished basement) when I was only 26. I paid off one third of house price immediately. Mainly due to the house price being 4-5X less than what it is today for the same comparable house. Due to massive disposable income and limited expenses had the house paid off in full within 8yrs. I was 34yrs old with house totally bought and paid for with no remaining mortgage. All this on fairly average income earnings. Due to acquiring this house equity easily and quickly early in life I've had no significant mortgage costs since.

Again try doing that today.

EVERYBODY today should be pissed off with the REAL cost of living here. Everything is now inflated. But particularly real estate, utilities, rentals, gas, the kind of expenses that you can't really avoid (unless one cohabitates with parents for a decade longer)

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I can confirm this. As someone who makes quite a bit less than $100K a year, I own a decent car, a 1 bedroom condo, I manage to pay for internet and HD TV, go out for dinner a couple weeks, and still manage to put a bit away for savings and vacations. All it takes is budgeting and living within your means. Do you need to buy a $40,000 truck, or can you get by with a <$10,000 used Corolla? Do you need to buy lunch every day? Go out for dinner every night? Are you comfortable renting with roommates or do you need to own a townhouse in a new development right off the bat?

OP, I have had friends that moved from "pooorer" parts of the country (such as Nova Scotia, PEI, etc.) and they have done okay out here, but if you're moving without a job it may take some time. You'll probably want to rent a place with roommates, and you may end up taking a job in retail or similar industry while you apply on jobs. No shame in that - people need to work and these places are always hiring.

If you're a recent grad, it might be tricky for you to find something entry level with your business degree, but if you're patient and not too picky, something will come along eventually. I work in HR now, and I get quite a few new grads who ask me the same question all the time. My advice is always be patient, and don't be afraid to take a job that's outside of your specific field. It's highly unlikely that you'll get your dream job on your first go, but the #1 thing you need to do right now is get work experience.

Solid advice, not always how much you make, but how much you spend.

One of the things that amuses me in this boom in Alberta is the "lets not piss it all away again this time" is happening in spades.

With people as you say blowing 40K on a truck. Picking up a +100K RV (sorry, insane, that cost will NEVER be recouped.) Vehicles in general are one of the worst expenditures anybody makes. Spending extra is just throwing the money out.

What I really see today is enhanced sq footage in realestate. People for some reason require much bigger and houses with all the bells and whistles, granite countertops, high end fixtures, finishings, etc.
Its like everybody feels they need to be living out of the covers of a Home and Garden magazine.
With a lot of people spending money as quick as they make it and without much of even a thought of retirement savings.

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Thanks for the advice. I'm not picky at all, and I'm fully prepared to work whatever I have to until I find something more suited for me.

I guess the good thing for me is I don't have a 'dream-job' necessarily. I feel comfortable working in many areas of business, and I'll just be hoping to eventually find a job that pays well enough.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
Solid advice, not always how much you make, but how much you spend.

One of the things that amuses me in this boom in Alberta is the "lets not piss it all away again this time" is happening in spades.

With people like you say blowing 40K on a truck. Picking up a +100K RV (sorry, insane, that cost will NEVER be recouped.) Vehicles in general are one of the worst expenditures anybody makes. Spending extra is just throwing the money out.

What I really see today is enhanced sq footage in realestate. People for some reason require much bigger and houses with all the bells and whistles, granite countertops, high end fixtures, finishings, etc.
Its like everybody feels they need to be living out of the covers of a Home and Garden magazine.
With a lot of people spending money as quick as they make it and without much of even a thought of retirement savings.

Man, don't even get me started. I'm having the battle of a lifetime with my SO, trying to get her to consider moving to an older neighbourhood with character homes and trees.

And for those people buying those massive trucks and RVs, if they were putting their monthly payments into savings instead of against their debt, they'd be setting themselves up for a comfortable retirement. I never understood how someone could pay for/finance a $40,000 purchase that depreciates in value. It's insanity.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not picky at all, and I'm fully prepared to work whatever I have to until I find something more suited for me.

I guess the good thing for me is I don't have a 'dream-job' necessarily. I feel comfortable working in many areas of business, and I'll just be hoping to eventually find a job that pays well enough.

Sounds like you have the right attitude. Good luck!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hopefully this doesn't turn into too many arguments.

MODS, I got a lot of great feedback out of this, so feel free to lock it if you need to.

Thanks again everyone!

I think threads like this can be a bit of a public service as a lot of people would read them.

As posters have suggested cutting costs is something one should be interested in doing when moving here. (people often live the opposite of this now)

The reality is people come here to make money. Why not make money and end up keeping some of it?

So in Edmonton heres the deal on cost cutting. if living here learn to like things that are locost instead of highcost. Learn to love cycling, hiking, exploring the wonderful rivervalley system of trails we have here. Pick up a COE membership that will get you into all of the Edm parks and rec facilities. This is nominal cost and several orgs have wellness programs where your membership will be reduced significantly. This keeps you healthy, active, gives you something to do etc. Also Edmonton has fantastic Tennis, Swimming, track facilities. Develop interests in locost activity.

Learn to love excursions to local parkland or National parks.
Heres a key STOP going on out of country holidays often and learn to love the wonderful environment we have here. Fantastic excursions are within hours away. Alberta is a province that offers boundless recreation at low cost. These are some advantages.

So whatever you do, and whatever you make, have an enjoyable and more affordable life.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think threads like this can be a bit of a public service as a lot of people would read them.

As posters have suggested cutting costs is something one should be interested in doing when moving here. (people often live the opposite of this now)

The reality is people come here to make money. Why not make money and end up keeping some of it?

So in Edmonton heres the deal on cost cutting. if living here learn to like things that are locost instead of highcost. Learn to love cycling, hiking, exploring the wonderful rivervalley system of trails we have here. Pick up a COE membership that will get you into all of the Edm parks and rec facilities. This is nominal cost and several orgs have wellness programs where your membership will be reduced significantly. This keeps you healthy, active, gives you something to do etc. Also Edmonton has fantastic Tennis, Swimming, track facilities. Develop interests in locost activity.

Learn to love excursions to local parkland or National parks.
Heres a key STOP going on out of country holidays often and learn to love the wonderful environment we have here. Fantastic excursions are within hours away. Alberta is a province that offers boundless recreation at low cost. These are some advantages.

So whatever you do, and whatever you make, have an enjoyable and more affordable life.

Much appreciated and well said! Thanks!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Man, don't even get me started. I'm having the battle of a lifetime with my SO, trying to get her to consider moving to an older neighbourhood with character homes and trees.

And for those people buying those massive trucks and RVs, if they were putting their monthly payments into savings instead of against their debt, they'd be setting themselves up for a comfortable retirement. I never understood how someone could pay for/finance a $40,000 purchase that depreciates in value. It's insanity.

My advice would be take your significant other out to the areas on walks, rides, to the parks, make it well known how connected such areas are, what walk scores are all about, what community is all about. A lot of these areas are so appealing it could just be an outing. Your intent doesn't have to be obvious. Expose the person to the charm.

If I can add a lot of older real estate is built solid compared to present stock and your biggest worries are things like electrical wiring, mold, sewer etc but if house is inspected, and fine in those areas than you're solid and have a home that is built up and ready to go as soon as you walk in.

I don't even know how people find it preferable to move into a brand new home with no lawn, only mud and dirt, no garage, no fence, no basement completed, and with houses on blocks still being completed and countless years of living in a new suburb smelling dust, eating dirt, and with smell of cement blowing in the wind. tbh I think people generally don't even think about how aggravating that is. Especially when so many people have allergies. None of these areas have trees or anything so the wind is blowing around almost all the time.

Maybe as a strategy expose your significant other to mature developed communities and those suburbs that will still be being built for several years for a marked contrast.

Financially of course its silly to buy a new house when good mature housing stock is available.

Finally the commuter time and cost is significantly lowered when living in most mature neighborhoods.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

What's wrong with wanting to own a nice house, car and going on a few vacations a year? I've lived in Edmonton on less then 40k around 4 years ago, was renting a decent townhouse with a room mate and drove an older car. I even lived in Vancouver(a more expensive city) on under 20k/year in an older house with 4 room mates and drove a beater. Regardless of what you make, you can make any city work but if you want an average or above average lifestyle without having a roommate you will need to make good money in Edmonton. Plus Alberta is considered the gold mine of Canada, people work here to make big cash.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
What's wrong with wanting to own a nice house, car and going on a few vacations a year? I've lived in Edmonton on less then 40k around 4 years ago, was renting a decent townhouse with a room mate and drove an older car. I even lived in Vancouver(a more expensive city) on under 20k/year in an older house with 4 room mates and drove a beater. Regardless of what you make, you can make any city work but if you want an average or above average lifestyle without having a roommate you will need to make good money in Edmonton. Plus Alberta is considered the gold mine of Canada, people work here to make big cash.

To the first bold: I didn't say anything was wrong with it. But living comfortably in Edmonton isn't predicated on those things, which brings me to the second bold: This is a value judgement, derived from your predisposition of what "average or above average lifestyle" means. Many people who live a life with few material luxuries live much happier lives--above average, you could say--than many people who hold that material goods are intrinsically good.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
While this is true and I certainly did many of the things you suggest as a younger person while saving up for items like a house, car, etc. the real cost of living (not the one cited on official sources) has grown drastically here. To the point of being ridiculous.

If I scanned a ledger of expenses back in the day people would be swearing a blue streak.

Before even getting out of high school I was making 15bucks/hr in construction field working summers and getting called in on weekends yr round. By the time I hit university I had 10K in a bank account.
Speaking of university my annual tuition was around 1400 (cue more swearing) books another 400. That was it. Which I of course was able to pay easily without any student loan ever.
But heres where it gets interesting. Rent for a large 2bedroom apartment at the time was 450bucks. Heating, water, satellite TV INCLUDED. (cue more swearing) Only bill we got was for power. Would average around 70bucks before the age of privatization of utilities. Groceries were pretty much dirt cheap.
Should I add that the interest in a chequing account, with around 12K in it was earning 17% interest? lol One year I earned 2K INTEREST and I was only 20yrs old. Due to sharing rent and expenses I could live 2mths just on the interest I was making! It was easystreet.

My living expenses in total were around 12K/yr. Had I worked all year round in the Construction industry and for the hours I was working I would make around 33K.

A 20 year old kid being able to bank up to 20K/year. PLUS earning huge interest (guaranteed) on that principal every year. Try doing that today.

Long story short bought my first house in 88 (beautiful sensible bungalow with completed garage and partly finished basement) when I was only 26. I paid off one third of house price immediately. Mainly due to the house price being 4-5X less than what it is today for the same comparable house. Due to massive disposable income and limited expenses had the house paid off in full within 8yrs. I was 34yrs old with house totally bought and paid for with no remaining mortgage. All this on fairly average income earnings. Due to acquiring this house equity easily and quickly early in life I've had no significant mortgage costs since.

Again try doing that today.

EVERYBODY today should be pissed off with the REAL cost of living here. Everything is now inflated. But particularly real estate, utilities, rentals, gas, the kind of expenses that you can't really avoid (unless one cohabitates with parents for a decade longer)

:cry:

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
But in Edmonton you have a university degree along with 10,000 other people applying for the same job.

You spelled Vancouver wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad