Little Help with a Road Trip?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I plan a road trip to watch my Isles lose in a new city every year. Its fun. Last year, I was in Denver to watch my team get smoked 5-0.

I'm enroute to visiting all the NHL cities, with exceptions of the Sunbelt, Cali, etc.

In any case, once the scheduling comes out, my quest begins. Vancouver is on my list of possibilities.

My days would consist of flying in solo,staying downtown, no car rental, walking around seeing the city, watching Isles vs Canucks, and having some fun. Looking for some help.

Arena close to downtown? Is the city walkable? Other than game, what else to check out? Not into tourist stuff, rather cool local stores, good local experiences, good music scenes, that type of thing.

I did make almost an exact same post on the Jets board, should anyone notice. Not gunna lie -- Isles playing in both cities and both are possibilities!

Thanks crew! Happy Summer!

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
The arena is close to downtown on the Skytrain. I recommend checking out AirBNB for reasonable accommodations in Yaletown or Gastown.

Science World, Stanley Park, the Seawall, and the Aquarium are all close to downtown as well.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
If its between Van and Peg do Van. I dont live there but have been to both cities, Van wins hands down. Great views, great food, what ever u wanna do its gonna be there

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
Something to keep in mind is that in early March Winnipeg will be -20 Celsius, and Vancouver will most definitely be above zero. If it's anything like this year it could be as high as 10 degrees and sunny.

Vancouver is one of the most walkable cities in North America. Downtown is crammed into a small peninsula, you can walk from one end to the other in less than an hour. That's not to say it's small and there's nothing to do, there is just quite a bit in a small area as thepuckmonster mentioned.

Some of the local experiences kind of go hand in hand with tourist spots though. Part of the appeal of living there is the sea wall, mountains, plethora of beaches for various outdoor activities. For restaurants and stuff, just wak around Gastown around dinner time and go somewhere that looks busy. If you're going out at night, similar rule applies but ask the bouncer if you can use the washroom before waiting in a line and paying cover. That way you can go in and see if a place is actually busy or if the line is just to make it look that way.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Rogers Arena is right downtown, pretty much any hotel you pick will be within 20 minutes, maybe 30 minutes maximum of walking. If you get on a Skytrain (right to Stadium Station) you'll be there in 5 minutes.

Stanley Park, Seawall, walking around Gastown, walking up and down the Robson St shopping strip, Granville Street especially at night, those are all free and go-tos for both tourists and locals. Aquarium if you're into that. Roxy nightclub is a bit of an institution and you may run across the odd hockey player while you're there (some good live music too). Blarney Stone is Celtic themed club that has some good live music. I haven't been to the Brooklyn but I've heard the Canucks sometimes frequent that.

Depending on when you'll be here and if you're into other sports, our MLS soccer team plays in stadium right next to Rogers Arena (BC Place), and our Canadian Football League team plays there as well.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
The Arena is downtown.

You can walk one end to the other N>S or E>W in 20-30 mins.

Hotels will be expensive right downtown so it would be better if moneys a concern to stay outside the downtown core.

Transit is good so if you stay on the Skytrain route you can get directly to the Arena. If you want to stay out until the wee hours then you need to stay on a N(night) bus line as not all transit runs all night.

All in all Vancouver is superbsimple for the most part as a tourist.

Vancouver is exceptional for food. So many good options especially smaller hole in the wall type joints.

Bring an umbrella. Its rains. It sucks.

Eye Test Approved

@London_the_Hobo
Sep 15, 2014
Granville island is great too if you're into food. You can take a little water taxi there from downtown. Oyama sausage has awesome stuff, and the Pacific Gold Salmon burger from Market Grill is one of my faves.
Downtown, the Kingston Hotel has a bar next to it that's usually got solid food and drinks at a reasonable price, that's a solid bet for somewhere to go after the game

Love

Feb 29, 2012
The arena is close to downtown on the Skytrain. I recommend checking out AirBNB for reasonable accommodations in Yaletown or Gastown.

Science World, Stanley Park, the Seawall, and the Aquarium are all close to downtown as well.

Agree with this guy.

If I were you I'd stay in Yaletown, Coal Harbour, or Gastown. It'll be more expensive but a better experience. If I were staying in any of those places I would just walk to the arena. It's all downtown and really it's not that far.

Biking the seawall is awesome if it happens to be a sunny day.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Excellent -- thanks guys.. its b/t Vancouver, Nash, Dallas, and Montreal.

NOT an easy decision by any means.. Winnipeg has been vetoed! :)

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

I lived in Wpg for 3 years. Will never go near it again during the hockey season, too bloody cold.

I think your decision should be based on time of year for the games. Vancouver can be great in April. Or in early Oct. Otherwise bring an umbrella ...

Eye Test Approved

@London_the_Hobo
Sep 15, 2014

Winnipeg belongs in a category with Temecula or Fresno, not those other four. Montreal and Nashville kill Vancouver for party scene and night life, but Vancouver is easily the most beautiful. Dallas is okay but Austin is way better.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Well Montreal game is Nov -- and the other cities are all in March for the Isles games.

Is mother nature easy to get in Couver -- or do you just take a ride into washington for that type of thing?

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Winnipeg belongs in a category with Temecula or Fresno, not those other four. Montreal and Nashville kill Vancouver for party scene and night life, but Vancouver is easily the most beautiful. Dallas is okay but Austin is way better.

To be fair if you're going on a hockey watching trip the game and atmosphere is going to rank high on what you're looking for and as far as atmosphere at the game, sad to say but winnipeg blows vancouver away.

vancouver is a much nicer city... winnipeg is a dump (I've lived in both places).... but as far as the atmosphere you'll get at the game it's not close. Winnipeg is easily one of the liveliest arenas in the league. Vancouver is at the other end of the spectrum.

If it's all about hockey go to winnipeg. If it's also about exploring the city vancouver hands down. There's a reason it's constantly referred to as one of the most beautiful cities in the word and one of the top international travel destinations.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
I have travelled all over the world. I no longer live there, but Vancouver is easily the most beautiful city in the world, bar none.
Very easy choice if those 4 cities represent your choices.
I have been to all 4 and would take Vancouver in a heartbeat.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Well Montreal game is Nov -- and the other cities are all in March for the Isles games.

Is mother nature easy to get in Couver -- or do you just take a ride into washington for that type of thing?

Out door type stuff is real easy to find close to Van, just bring proper cloths. It does rain alot that time of year but i love being out in the bush well raining.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA

Eww yeah, don't come to Dallas. This town can't hold a candle to Vancouver or Montreal.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Yes Vancouver is primarily known for it's nature and outdoor activities.

Actually if you're coming in March and really want to do something crazy you could ski, golf, and go to the beach all in the same day. Weather permitting of course.

Also if you're into hiking you could do the Grouse Grind or The Chief. For something more casual you could hike Quarry Rock or Lynn Canyon.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Progress! I have removed Nashville from the possibilities -- I've heard from a local that most of the live music is either Country (ummm. no) or cover bands. Used to love cover bands, not so much anymore.

I'm leaning towards either Montreal or Vancouver. The core of this trip is to go to Hockey cities and meet new and interesting people and see new stuff.

The idea of (begin stereotype now) talking with republican, Oilmen, George Bush fans, religious southern freaks, is not terribly interesting or desirable to me.

In all seriousness, I think Couver would be a runaway choice, if it wasn't so far from NY. Its a $500-$600 flight, and a day of flying each way vs. a quick 1/5 hour jump up north to Montreal.

+ I can ski Whistler again-- quick day trip ---

Nice to bring it down to 2! Keep it coming!

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Progress! I have removed Nashville from the possibilities -- I've heard from a local that most of the live music is either Country (ummm. no) or cover bands. Used to love cover bands, not so much anymore.

I'm leaning towards either Montreal or Vancouver. The core of this trip is to go to Hockey cities and meet new and interesting people and see new stuff.

The idea of (begin stereotype now) talking with republican, Oilmen, George Bush fans, religious southern freaks, is not terribly interesting or desirable to me.

In all seriousness, I think Couver would be a runaway choice, if it wasn't so far from NY. Its a $500-$600 flight, and a day of flying each way vs. a quick 1/5 hour jump up north to Montreal.

+ I can ski Whistler again-- quick day trip ---

Nice to bring it down to 2! Keep it coming!

FlightNetwork.com

I've found stupid cheap flights on there from LGA or EWR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad