Little Caesars Arena goal "horn"

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Okay, can someone explain why the goal horn is a pathetic recording of the authentic horn from JLA? If they were unable to move it from JLA to LCA, it wouldn't exactly be difficult to replicate it. The Penguins and Islanders, being the two most recent teams to move into new buildings, did the same thing. Why can't Detroit?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The original horn used a flammable gas, apparently, which makes it not comply with current building codes. They couldn't use the same one.

Which is too bad because the original would have been easy to transport to the new rink.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
If all they could come up with is the sound of a car dying, then they need to head back to the drawing board.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The original horn used a flammable gas, apparently, which makes it not comply with current building codes. They couldn't use the same one.

Which is too bad because the original would have been easy to transport to the new rink.
Plywood is an easy move :laugh:

5476990456_f9b0f8250e.jpg

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I liked the horn from the Joe just because it was familiar and we heard it accompany so many iconic goals. I'll take any version of it...real or recording. Goal horns give an arena a distinct personality. So many trademark horns around the league.

What's the deal with the organ Dough Joe? Do they actually have pipes in the ceiling like they do at United Center? I like hearing organ music mixed in with the usually house music. It was a trip hearing the anthem with the organ behind Karen Newman. Not nearly as cool as United Center but that's their trademark. I love any arena that keeps organ music as part of the soundtrack.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
I think I remember hearing on the radio that the recording they weren't big fans of how it sounded either and they were looking into changing it...want to say that was chris illitch, but don't quote me on that

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I thought the old one was some kind Truck Horn, or multiple Horns?

Why can't you build a replica? Just hire an expert and complete it.
It was the horn from one of those giant storage ships. Pretty unique, honestly.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I liked the horn from the Joe just because it was familiar and we heard it accompany so many iconic goals. I'll take any version of it...real or recording. Goal horns give an arena a distinct personality. So many trademark horns around the league.

What's the deal with the organ Dough Joe? Do they actually have pipes in the ceiling like they do at United Center? I like hearing organ music mixed in with the usually house music. It was a trip hearing the anthem with the organ behind Karen Newman. Not nearly as cool as United Center but that's their trademark. I love any arena that keeps organ music as part of the soundtrack.
There's just a basic ass organ right now, the new one isn't completed. It's supposed to be very impressive.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I think they are trying different horns/recordings.

My brother and I were both at the opener last night (after me going to the Chicago preseason game and him going to two other preseason games) and after the first goal, we both looked at each other and said, "there it is! That's the right horn." The second goal sounded a little different but then the 3rd and 4th goals were back to the more familiar horn. I can't say if it is exact but I think they are actively tweaking the sound as they go to get as close to the Joe horn as possible.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Watched the replays of some goals. It sounds so quiet on TV but it sounds exactly like it used to at the arena...

jz78817

Nov 25, 2017
It was the horn from one of those giant storage ships. Pretty unique, honestly.

yep, they're old Buell Classic "Trombone" horns. I scored a set off of eBay. old tech, look like they're from the 1940s.

Honestly, I buy (part of) the team's explanation. LCA's light-up ceiling and the enormous scoreboard doesn't give them anywhere good to install them.

but LOL at the "flammable gas" explanation; they'll run on air, nitrogen, whatever you want to send through them. all you need is an air compressor with a decent size tank.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
"The horn is here for the foreseeable future, there is no plans on changing it, just different recordings until we get the right one."

- my season ticket acct mgr

I was so fired up during the opener that mid game I had to email him and ask why they couldn't incorporate a new goal horn into a billion dollar arena and that was the generic response they give.

Personally, it's terrible but so is our PA announcer who screams DTE energy and just sounds awful all the time.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Pretty sure the gas could be replaced by and air compressor. Engineers?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I personally don't care what the horn sounds like, and I need never thought the Joe's horn was anything special anyway

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
maybe they changed the recording up a little bit from earlier in the season. but I was there for the avs game last weekend and I thought the horn sounded fine. For whatever reason it sounds way better in person than hearing it on tv

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Went to the game on Nov 17th and I agree with chances14 it sounds just fine live. Only thing I hate now is after a goal is scored that stupid chant song that sometimes plays.

Reactions: deca guard

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I personally don't care what the horn sounds like, and I need never thought the Joe's horn was anything special anyway

I’m with you. But the horn crowd makes it seems like you’re missing some hockey-affiliated DNA strand if you’re apathetic about it. :laugh:

Reactions: TheMule93

Slim Tim

Sep 17, 2019
This is an old thread but I'm curious if anyone happen to have a history of the horns that where in JLA.
I happen to come across one, air/electric that was up in the catwalks of JLA.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
The Islanders either moved the horn from the Coliseum to their new barn, or simply installed a brand new one that was identical. Why couldn't the Red Wings do that?

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Me and a friend were just talking about this the other day.

Look I love tradition. But I also love making new traditions. The Joe and that era is over. Time to start a new era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad