List your top Finnish forwards

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Sorry, forgot my list in the wow (not in the world of warcraft), but seriously good problem for Finnish hockey. Now we need the olympics or something where everyone can come. I guess it's a quite a riddle of my home country... :D

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I’m a Rantanen stan for sure but I’d probably still have Barkov #1. If Mikko scores 120 this year, certainly may have to change that. Aho is also brilliant and simple numbers (which are still great) don’t do his impact justice.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Two young prospects doing well in the AHL, Kuokkanen and Borgström. Borgström has a very interesting set of skills, Kuokkanen is a mystery and is not well known at all in Finland.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
6. Barkov (mad skills seriously, but what a waste of those skills, the dude is one of the most overrated, if not the most overrated Finnish player in the NHL, a complete wuss of a player with his attitude, have a really important game going on? Be sure for Sasha to not deliver, the bigger the game the wusser he is. Needs a killer instinct more than any other Finn, seriously!)

Unfortunately I think you're serious about this so this demands a comment or two.

First of all, "a complete wuss of a player with his attitude"? What attitude? When I watch Barkov playing, I see him giving a 100% effort all the time, even when he plays half a game. He doesn't hit or fight so does that make him a wuss? He's better than any other Finnish player and accusing him of giving up too much goals for a two way forward is ridiculous. Even with the crappy defensive linemates he has had and playing with a non-playoff team, he's been a plus player for the last 3 seasons. And I still believe in actually watching players perform when I evaluate their efforts and Barkov rarely loses a 1vs1-battle nor does he lose coverage, well, almost ever. He's also a takeaway machine, best in the NHL at that. He truly is a 200ft player and elite one at that.

Second, bigger the game the wusser he is? He does have the same problem Selänne did meaning it's easier to shadow him in meaningful games because he hasn't had the luxury of widespread talent playing with him (look at Selänne's playoff-numbers when he played with Anaheim in the late 90's). Still, I remember him almost getting Florida a playoff-spot practically on his own last year. Yes, he got a bit tired at the end of the season but with his minutes that's only human.

Barkov is one of those players who make it look so easy you can mistake it for not giving it all. But I think Sasha is a battler who could try to sacrifice a little less of his tremendous offensive talent by playing that defense first-style. That's my only criticism with his play.

Last edited:

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Two young prospects doing well in the AHL, Kuokkanen and Borgström. Borgström has a very interesting set of skills, Kuokkanen is a mystery and is not well known at all in Finland.
I don't think he's much less known than Borgström.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Barkov
Rantanen
Aho

Granlund
Laine

Koivu
Teravainen
Kotkaniemi
Haula
Kapanen
Donskoi

Lehkonen
Armia
Filppula
Komarov

Don't care about rest. There will be many players soon in that Granlund/Laine tier i think.

Don't get how Aho is in a category seperated from Laine.

I see it this way (Finns under 30 years of age):

Barkov
Rantanen
Laine
Aho

Granlund (I believe Kotka has a better ceiling but Granlund is more proven)
Teravainen (same as above)
Kotkaniemi (His ceiling is being in that 1st category but everything would have to go right to get there)

Kapanen (He's been good this season but I don't see him in the same tier as Granlund/Teravainen)
Haula
Lekhonen
Donskoi
Armia

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Don't get how Aho is in a category seperated from Laine.

I see it this way (Finns under 30 years of age):

Barkov
Rantanen
Laine
Aho

Granlund (I believe Kotka has a better ceiling but Granlund is more proven)
Teravainen (same as above)
Kotkaniemi (His ceiling is being in that 1st category but everything would have to go right to get there)

Kapanen (He's been good this season but I don't see him in the same tier as Granlund/Teravainen)
Haula
Lekhonen
Donskoi
Armia

His overall impact on the game is superior to Laine, he's a driver, not a complimentary player.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
His overall impact on the game is superior to Laine, he's a driver, not a complimentary player.

Aho isn't that much better though. Aho drives a line sure, but Laine scores which is more important in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad